Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Check the front bevel gear. It's the small one that looks like a mushroom. It could be broken, rounded, or stripped.

As for mesh, you'll want a "tick" of play between gears. Improper mesh will skip gears under braking or acceleration. It won't do it off the ground b/c there isn't enough resistance on the tranny to make it jump gears.
A way you can check to see if the mesh is to tight, is take off the pinion gear so the drivetrain can 't be engaged, and simply roll the car back and forth a few times. You shouldn't hear anything, and if it doesn't coast smoothly, you may have a crimped bearing or too tight a mesh. It may not be super easy to detect a crimped bearing. My Pro4 rolled just fine until I stripped it down and rolled each bearing by hand. So if something is excessively loud, it is probably a tight gear mesh.
-Josh
Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Check the front bevel gear. It's the small one that looks like a mushroom. It could be broken, rounded, or stripped.

As for mesh, you'll want a "tick" of play between gears. Improper mesh will skip gears under braking or acceleration. It won't do it off the ground b/c there isn't enough resistance on the tranny to make it jump gears.

Thanks for those of you who helped me out. Pro4Capece: Is there anyway I can tighten up the mesh on the pro 4? I heard such thing is done on Tamiya evo III drivetrain. Any help is appreciated as this is my 1st shaft car.

Jason
Old 08-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

there are shims that go on the input shafts and diff outdrives. look in the manual and shim those according to it. and work from there. if you think its to tight take some out. mainly just play withit untill you get the driver train how you want it. i took most of the shimmes off the input shafts to free up teh drivetrain but on had impacts the looser mesh risks breaking gears but you get a more free drive train. also every car is just a bit different so how one person shimms their car might be different to another car to get the same effect. really what i would say is just take the time to play with the shimms and get the drivetrain you feel is right for you.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Please don't spend your money on that. It only adds weight and will tweak after a few good licks. Run a P-Dub front bumper. Rock solid, super light weight, and gives better protection than the BRP bumper. I've tried both, and will never again run a car without a P-Dub bumper.

p-dub bumper is avail from where?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by floodo1
p-dub bumper is avail from where?
http://pdubracing.com/products.htm
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Excel just released new CF chassis to fit the larger 3600-3800 cells.
also released were new upperdeck and gold nitride shock shafts.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Please don't spend your money on that. It only adds weight and will tweak after a few good licks. Run a P-Dub front bumper. Rock solid, super light weight, and gives better protection than the BRP bumper. I've tried both, and will never again run a car without a P-Dub bumper.
Too late....I have used the BRP one for about 3 months, so far, didn't break 1 single arm......but you are correct, they do deform a little, but I bent it back, just like new...
So the P-Dub bumper is just another foam bumper....not a hard plastic flat bumper like the BRP..? And strong enough to protect the ARMS from minor impact..?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yes teh p-dub material is some of the strongest flexable foamout there. its just a little thinner then the stock one so you might need to modify it, i did to mine and soon i am going to reshape the oiginal and CA it to the top o fthe p-dub as body support
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

I also have Paul's bumper on my car, and it is very nice! It helps save the front bevel gears for sure.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes teh p-dub material is some of the strongest flexable foamout there. its just a little thinner then the stock one so you might need to modify it, i did to mine and soon i am going to reshape the oiginal and CA it to the top o fthe p-dub as body support
It stands up to abuse rather well for sure. I just trimmed the two spacer posts toward the rear of the bumper down so that the bumper brace fit the thinner bumper. Takes just a minute with a sharp hobby knife.

I've taken some pretty hard hits and stuffed the car *really* hard a few times now and I have not broken anything, the car rebounds more with this bumper. The bumper has taken some damage, but is holding up much better than the HPI one.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Parma just came out with series of new HD foam bumpers for popular touring cars..including the Pro4... made of same material as the P-dubs...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey everyone i'm a new Pro4 owner and was wondering if someone could help me out. I purchased this car from a friend who raced it on carpet. My local track is Socal Raceway in Huntington Beach. It is an indoor asphalt track that is well groomed. I was wondering if anyone has a general setup for this track or type of track in general. I raced tonight and the car was all over the place. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
Old 08-16-2005, 10:50 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ball studs.

What are you guys using for replacement ball studs, other than the HPI ones? I keep shearing them off like crazy. There are some nasty corner dots at the track I run, they can send the car airborn and when it comes down on an angle whichever wheel impacts shears off a stud. It doesn't happen often, but when it does its kind of annoying.

I've tried the purple aluminum ones, same issue, and the stock replacements. Anyone have the name or part number of a good titanium replacement, preferably with the hex head like the HPI ones?
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by impp83
Hey everyone i'm a new Pro4 owner and was wondering if someone could help me out. I purchased this car from a friend who raced it on carpet. My local track is Socal Raceway in Huntington Beach. It is an indoor asphalt track that is well groomed. I was wondering if anyone has a general setup for this track or type of track in general. I raced tonight and the car was all over the place. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat
try HPI website... Thad's set-up for Socal might be posted...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Desolas
What are you guys using for replacement ball studs, other than the HPI ones? I keep shearing them off like crazy. There are some nasty corner dots at the track I run, they can send the car airborn and when it comes down on an angle whichever wheel impacts shears off a stud. It doesn't happen often, but when it does its kind of annoying.

I've tried the purple aluminum ones, same issue, and the stock replacements. Anyone have the name or part number of a good titanium replacement, preferably with the hex head like the HPI ones?
Square RC makes titanium version of the HPI hex ball studs... Try AllSpeed or Speedtech... they both carry Square products...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.