Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Haha!

Mike is a trip! Probably one of the most fun people you'll meet.

If you ever get the chance, ask him about the time him and his brother went 4 wheeling.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Left and right lowered rear pod plates for the DB12R are in stock and ready to ship.

Everyone that runs tiny rear tires...you asked for them and we made them

Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

that reminds me, does anyone have a picture of a trued tire compared to a untrued jaco, and how much should i true off of it?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Pre-mounted tires like the Jacos come trued allready, so there is no need to true them other then to change their size to better suit your needs. How small you make your tires will depend a lot on personal preference for your track conditions. Typically though for asphault they run them a bit taller then they do for carpet due to the higher amount of tire wear.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pod plates look great. It will really help out with all those old style Jaco's still floating around in my pit box.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Pre-mounted tires like the Jacos come trued allready, so there is no need to true them other then to change their size to better suit your needs. How small you make your tires will depend a lot on personal preference for your track conditions. Typically though for asphault they run them a bit taller then they do for carpet due to the higher amount of tire wear.
awesome! thanks. Im so glad i dont need the tire truer yet.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Make sure you get tires like the Jaco Prisms or the CRC High Rollers, These are trued down much closer to a race height. The ones on the older style wheels are trued much taller and will have some issues fitting under some of the super low bodies we use today. I'd suggest fitting the body on with the tires before you cut the lower line or the wheel wells. This way you can mount the body higher if you need to in order to clear the wheels.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesome Job Jason on the lowered pod plates!!!! Is it me or do they actually look "beefier" than the regular ones???
Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

For size, the Jacos are fine. However, I found that half the stock I got wasn't a pair (on size) so had to true them anyway.

Check each pair out of the box, and if necessary, mix and match your stock until you have as many pairs as you can on diameter. If you end up with an 'odd' pair, I'm sure you can persuade someone to true one pair of tyres for you, and then all your tyres will be sized as pairs when you start using them. HTH
Old 04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Champion

I'm only now starting to use Prisms so I'm not familiar with how close they are in size from one pair to the next. These are mass produced so I would expect some variance among the batch but it should be pretty close. Probably not enough for a new 1/12th racer to be able to tell a difference on the track in performance.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is the DB12R kit setup still the best starting point for running on medium-low grip asphalt? If not, what is?

What's the translation from Shur Lube numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) to diff lube weights (5K, 10K, etc.)?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
For size, the Jacos are fine. However, I found that half the stock I got wasn't a pair (on size) so had to true them anyway. And 1mm difference will create 1/2mm tweak to start with (a lot, in my book, whether newbie or old pro) as well as differing circumferences (3.14mm difference) for markedly different roll-outs side-to-side. That car will never perform properly.
I'm only now starting to use Prisms so I'm not familiar with how close they are in size from one pair to the next. These are mass produced so I would expect some variance among the batch but it should be pretty close. Probably not enough for a new 1/12th racer to be able to tell a difference on the track in performance.
Running the Prisms exclusively last season I've found as much as 1mm difference between tires in a box, and probably (guessing now) 1 in 5 boxes that were close enough to run together without "touching" them on the truer. That said, that's no worse than any other tires I've run. It IS enough to cause handling problems though if not corrected. A 1mm difference in diameter gives 1/2mm tweak right off the bat (a TON in my book whether you're a newbie or old pro) and the differences in circumference would be 3.14mm. A car with that much difference will never perform anywhere CLOSE to "right".

I figure no matter, I prefer to "touch" even a perfectly matched pair if it's going to be their first run in the day just to get a fresh surface out. Generally not even taking a quarter mm out. I do this with brand new tires as well--"touch" the smaller diameter tire then finish-true the larger to the same size.

You also need to maintain the "split" (difference in diameters) between fronts and rears. Very rarely do I get a tire and set-up combo that wears fronts and rears at the same rate. I'm usually close enough for a day of racing (2-3 heats and a main) but I re-establish the split as part of my prep routine for the next day of racing.

You don't necessarily need a tire truer yourself but you DEFINITELY want access to one. If the track where you're racing provides one make DAMN sure you're buying your tires there. If you're borrowing one from a racer make DAMN sure you're not holding him up...if he (or she) needs it, yield. Also buy him a soda or whatever a couple times on race day. Cheap rental. In EITHER case, make sure you CLEAN THE DAMN THING UP. My truer tends to be the one that "gets used"...no one buys me sodas (which is fine) but the mess that gets left annoys the piss out of me.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

haha, yeah, my hobby store owner said it would be no problem for him to true them for me, but if possible, i wouldnt want to bother him more than it is. I do have the prisms, and i noticed when i got them, they were pretty close to race size, and looked fairly close in diameter, i might check em, when i go upstairs.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Wow a whole 1mm! That is quite a bit off. I'd better check my new Prisms then. I never had that much of an issue with my CRC tires. Good thing I have a tire truer
Old 04-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats funny. I am kinda embarrassed to say that i have never checked the tires against eachother. I just always cut them. Now that im running asphalt again i have been running them larger but still cutting them. Old habbit i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.