Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricF
Thanks, I thought that maybe I had missed more than that. Although I haven't used the battery locator since my fisrt meeting with the boards

What's reviesd with the lower pod plate? Was/ is there a possible breakage issue?

E
I beefed it ip a little because a couple people had problems with them breaking.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ferrarimk13
hmm, high bite, i guess thats a little different than mine, but i still want to see whats their setup.
My car was really good i just got an extremely crappy pick of stock motors an couldnt put a run together to save my life in 19t. but i was definitly turning laps competive with guys on the poduim. heres my setup

10 degree front caster blocks
1 1/2 degerr front camber
.20 front springs
20,000K wt diff fluid on king pins
servo flat and forward
glued front tires inside and outside
3.5-4 mm ride height

*** .70 flex plates with 20K damper fluid---stock
*** .70 flex plates with 7K damper fluid--- 19t
35wt oil with red spring center shock

also i ran them in the main and thought they were dialed when the track was high bite was the .80? flex plates with 5,oooK damper fluid. it made the car steer into the corner a little better and still maintain alot of corner speed with the soft dampner tube lube.

Jason and adrian thanks for al your help leading up to this race. i really appreciate it. im just sorry i couldnt get any higher then 11th in both classes to show how good my car really was. The car was amazing al weekend

Thanks guys
4mm ride height
Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

hope this helps
Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

also shrefflers car was amazing and he ran a setup that i think was completely opposite of mine
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Lord

You did a great job leon. You were fast all week brutha.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jason ygpm bro,
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
GSP
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Scale Future Question

I would like to know what everyone thinks the future of 12th scale racing is. Back 6 years ago when I was racing it was starting to die out and now I am seeing on this site a lot of talk about 12th scale and all of the new cars the companies are coming out with.

I really enjoyed racing this class but it never seems to keep going. It seems to come and go. Does it have to do with 8 min. mains are they to long? I would love to start back up again but I just have no idea where this class is going.

The current hobby seems to be going to BL and Lipos which I think is a great idea and I am learing more and more everyday about both of them.

Is a 12th scale car able to use a BL system and Lipos or is the what will kill 12th scale racing? Do they even make a Lipo pack equal to a 4 cell NIMH? I have also noticed a lot of people are saying they run a 10.5BL motor in there car and I would like to know what is this motor equal to in a brushed motor.

I really hope this class comes back strong and will stay that way. I know in Wisconsin it comes and go.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

hey guys just want to let you know i have a bunch of carpet tires and a new integy tire truer im trying to get rid of so pm me if your interested
Old 02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GSP
I would like to know what everyone thinks the future of 12th scale racing is. Back 6 years ago when I was racing it was starting to die out and now I am seeing on this site a lot of talk about 12th scale and all of the new cars the companies are coming out with.

I really enjoyed racing this class but it never seems to keep going. It seems to come and go. Does it have to do with 8 min. mains are they to long? I would love to start back up again but I just have no idea where this class is going.

The current hobby seems to be going to BL and Lipos which I think is a great idea and I am learing more and more everyday about both of them.

Is a 12th scale car able to use a BL system and Lipos or is the what will kill 12th scale racing? Do they even make a Lipo pack equal to a 4 cell NIMH? I have also noticed a lot of people are saying they run a 10.5BL motor in there car and I would like to know what is this motor equal to in a brushed motor.

I really hope this class comes back strong and will stay that way. I know in Wisconsin it comes and go.
Nationally 1/12 is on one of it's cyclic upswings and there are a plethora of new chassis and products out to take advantage of that fact.

To answer your questions:

8-minute heats are what 1/12 has pretty much ALWAYS had. One of the supposed benefits to LiPo in Touring Cars is the ability to go to longer mains in many clubs, so I think most people are FOR longer mains.

LiPos are going to take some re-thinking to work in 1/12. The class is designed around batteries that are nominally 1.2v each but LiPo are 3.7v each. Our 4-cell packs are (again, nominally) 4.8v which cannot be closely approximated by LiPo which are "limited" to 3.7v jumps (3.7, 7.4, 11.1, etc). While as long as safety concerns are addressed they're a no-brainer for cars that race with 6-cells (7.2v) they'll be a tougher deal to make work for 1/12. That's not to say some folks/clubs aren't experimenting, but I wouldn't expect to see any widespread acceptance for a while.

Brushless is an entirely different matter. Brushless have been ROAR legal (in all scale categories) for 3 years now in Mod classes and many of us have run 1/12 with brushless motors. Now that ROAR have adopted brushless in spec classes 1/12 will make that jump as well and they can accomodate these motors just fine. It's a tight fit, but that's true in most modern TC as well.

The 10.5 brushless is probably the closest you will find to a 19T. Both motors disappear the end of this year under the ROAR rules and are replaced with a straight 13.5 brushless/no brushed spec.

hth
Old 02-05-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Lord

Very well said scott. We are starting our lipo testing this month. I want to make sure it will work and perform real well. I dont think we will have any problems. Just softening the center shock and side plates should take care of it. We will see and i will keep you posted.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

From what I heard this past weekend, there may be a LiPo coming out with a voltage similar to our 4 cell packs. I don't know which company, or companies, are working on it. But with the number of cars using 4 cells, it would be a godsend.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Future of 12th - I agree with Scottrik. It has been going since 1975 here, and until Off-Road started it was the biggest electric RC class. It died off some when Off-Road came in, and some more when TC came in. However, now it is back because people are not happy about the constant changes in TC, and they want to try something new and cheaper. Most of all, 12th is the ONLY class where it is the driver that gets the result, and not the depth of his pocket. If you spend $000s on stuff, you'll still not beat a Cyrul or a Blackstock with a kit 12L4 running 19T on unmatched cells.

And that's where I disagree with Scottrik and ProTC3 - please do not change this class at all. It is the stability of 12th scale, the ability for small companies to make cars that work well, the never-changing rules, and the plentiful supply of new, cheap, easy ideas to try that make this such a great class. It's the stability that makes it so easy for new drivers to get cars set-up to run on the pace, and enjoy themselves from the get-go.

There is no need for LiPo in 12th. NiMh cells last two seasons used first for Nationals and then at Club. There hasn't been any incidents with NiMh used in 12th cars because we charge at sensible rates, and we don't stress the cells on discharge. Motors (BR or BL) last forever, and running items (tyres, bodies and roll-over masts) are cheap and easy to get.

It ain't broke - please don't make any effort to fix it. How many times does trying to make something perfect result in it getting broke? Don't do it, 12th doesn't need it!

Come into 12th, it isn't going to change any for the next five years, and the car you buy today will most likely be upgraded a few $$s at a time, but it'll still be the same car.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Lord

Unfortunately we really have no control over the cells or packs we run. We need to just accept what comes our way with a smile. 1/12th hasnt changed much as far as sub c cells being used but it has changed drastically with the cell capacity,voltage and run time. Motors are much faster than they used to be and the cars had to change to accomodate. This has always been the trend and we really need to be ready.

Our car wont be at a disadvantage with lipo, it will just take a different setup. T bar cars will become a thing of the past if lipo takes over and if the minimum weight drops.

All the car manufacturers at this time including myself need to be open minded and try it all and make the cars work with all options so we are not caught with our pants down when or if things change.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Addict

i dont think lipo wil lmake a show in 12th for a while, because i would rather have good old ni-mh than slabbing on a lot of weight for the minimum. They cant just change the voltage completely, and if we went single cell lipo, the voltage wouldnt meet up, which would be no fun.

punkracer, thanks a lot for the setup. You were running some higher weight oil in the damper tubes, which is interesting. Im starting off with 10,000, since thats what people have been running lately, and other than that stock setup. What exactly do different lower suspension mount degrees do to steering? should i probably stick with 10?
Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

hey J when your ready to do some lipo testing at adrenaline let me know im down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.