Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity goes EP!! Wh00t!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

I can say for the independant matchers about holding there pirces, but trinity has always had high prices on there batteries.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Galdo
What percentage would you place on safety being the reason for not approving Lipo?
If I understand you correctly, I hope that's the only reason it is not approved yet. Lipo users have a disadvantage in peak voltage in the early part of the race only keeping a higher voltage towards the end. Other than real safety issues and the perceived ones, what other legitimate reasons can you come up with to keep them out? Most if not all safety issues have been addressed in Orion's packs in my opinion and I think it's only a matter of time and patience for them to become more widely accepted.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Bad move...you should be working on LIPO cells, cause the old sub-c will be old news in a few years...
...yup, can't wait till lipo takes over so i can get back into electric racing.........
Old 06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I barely had anything to do with this thread taking a LiPo turn. Call off the hounds!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Galdo
Your post is reliable as you would have it from the horses mouth. Mike indicated it was an Orion pack. As much as that car hit the boards, it is understandable why it went up in flames. Tell Spencer thanks for the info. I was too busy marshalling to take a closer look.
I doubt Mike had a close look at it as it was burning his arm hairs...lol....

I asked Chris was type of battery it was, and he said it was a Maxamp soft pack.....and yeah, I think he hit about every board on the track.....

that was the biggest flames i have seen on a RC car!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I would say running a softpack in a touring car or wheeled RC is a big mistake...to many impacts...

glad no one got hurt.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Yep, My helios has a Knee brace, a cane , and my car has Nimh's in it. But I have to run Nimh's because I don't race at "Joe's Backwater, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules, Run-What-Cha-Brung, Dirtatorium" I race where there are rules, and I like to go to big events, so no flame-thrower cells for me.

Bring on the Lithium Manganese technology, same or better number of duty cycles, just as much performance, and less volatility than Lipo's. When this technology reaches the RC market in significant number I'll embrace it. 'till then, I'll enjoy running some nice, safe, high performance Nimh EP cells from Hurricane Motorsports, along with my brushed stock motors.

We all know it's just a matter of time before someone, somewhere charges an EP pack at 12 or 14 amps and blows a cell, then three or four of these LIPO people will be in this thread posting the picture and talking about how unsafe Nimh's are. That's what they do in EVERY battery related thread on RCTech.

Now Lipo lovers, go hunker down in your lipo threads and bitch about new NIMH development, before all the nimh guys go into the threads about YOUR batteries and start posting pictures of fires, and stories from people whose homes or cars have burned-up because of the inherently safe and user friendly LIPO's you all love so much.
Hook... line... and sinker lol
Old 06-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I barely had anything to do with this thread taking a LiPo turn. Call off the hounds!
Hey don't blame me for this one! The NiMH guys started it down this path for once. Now that the pack on fire has been identified I can slip quietly out now. Just when I was starting to feel the love.

If we weren't talking lipo the thread would have been Trinity bashing anyway...*ducks*
Old 06-28-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I think its interesting that Trinity is doing the EP cell.. I have run both and had great success with both, currently I would have to say the EP cell is more dependable and the IB cell if you find that one in 5 thats good is a better battery. I have purchased 3 different EP cells and they were all race winning packs and by no means had race winning numbers. I think the real interesting thing is going to be the competition between SMC and Trinity...2 of the largest companies in the RC industry going head to head with different products. The good thing is that both cells will do nothing but improve, the bad thing is the batteries will probably keep changing.You cant really count either battery out but it will definitly make the Vegas race interesting.
just my thoughts
MO
Old 06-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
I would say running a softpack in a touring car or wheeled RC is a big mistake...to many impacts...

glad no one got hurt.
i was the one that marshaled the car. i don't believe that the impact started the flame up. I believe that the driver started the flames. he was on throttle while his car was up against the boards. or at least the speedo was applying throttle while the car was on the boards. I believe that heated the pack up. I watched the car. the car did not start smoking until I got to it. and just before the smoke was a small spark. this I am sure was at least a few seconds after the board hit (I am slow when it comes to marshaling. lol) I got the car off the boards and then the spark and then the smoke and then the BBQ began. I picked the car up with all the flames and threw it outside the track, but it went under the stand. then I pulled it from under the stand and left it on the concrete floor. that is when the battery fell out. Then Mike was able to find a trash can and get the ball of flames out the door. All that happened and not a scratch on the carpet. one thing to note. the saftey hazard is a real problem. the problem with lipo pack is that it produces its own fuel. there is really no way to put out a lipo pack easily at the track.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theisgroup
i was the one that marshaled the car. i don't believe that the impact started the flame up. I believe that the driver started the flames. he was on throttle while his car was up against the boards. or at least the speedo was applying throttle while the car was on the boards. I believe that heated the pack up. I watched the car. the car did not start smoking until I got to it. and just before the smoke was a small spark. this I am sure was at least a few seconds after the board hit (I am slow when it comes to marshaling. lol) I got the car off the boards and then the spark and then the smoke and then the BBQ began. I picked the car up with all the flames and threw it outside the track, but it went under the stand. then I pulled it from under the stand and left it on the concrete floor. that is when the battery fell out. Then Mike was able to find a trash can and get the ball of flames out the door. All that happened and not a scratch on the carpet. one thing to note. the saftey hazard is a real problem. the problem with lipo pack is that it produces its own fuel. there is really no way to put out a lipo pack easily at the track.
Good thing you didn't get hurt man. Quick on your toes at least. Can I just say that according to the manufacturer, this would not have happened with an Orion pack. I admit I am a lipo convert. But I will not use or promote to be used any pack that would do what happened to you that day. THAT is an unacceptable safety risk. There is no excuse for running a pack that will not handle everything that will be thrown at it from amp draw to physical damage.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuzo
Good thing you didn't get hurt man. Quick on your toes at least. Can I just say that according to the manufacturer, this would not have happened with an Orion pack. I admit I am a lipo convert. But I will not use or promote to be used any pack that would do what happened to you that day. THAT is an unacceptable safety risk. There is no excuse for running a pack that will not handle everything that will be thrown at it from amp draw to physical damage.
I agree. It's unfortunate the cheap LiPo are giving the whole thing a bad name. And only people that care about LiPo make that distinction, everybody else just lumps them all together and shares their scary stories. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.