R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM   #106
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

I can say for the independant matchers about holding there pirces, but trinity has always had high prices on there batteries.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #107
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
What percentage would you place on safety being the reason for not approving Lipo?
If I understand you correctly, I hope that's the only reason it is not approved yet. Lipo users have a disadvantage in peak voltage in the early part of the race only keeping a higher voltage towards the end. Other than real safety issues and the perceived ones, what other legitimate reasons can you come up with to keep them out? Most if not all safety issues have been addressed in Orion's packs in my opinion and I think it's only a matter of time and patience for them to become more widely accepted.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #108
Tech Master
 
Taylorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monclova, Ohio
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
Bad move...you should be working on LIPO cells, cause the old sub-c will be old news in a few years...
...yup, can't wait till lipo takes over so i can get back into electric racing.........
__________________
Current stable... Team Associated SC8, Team Associated RC250 X 3
Tamiya F104X1...Tamiya F104W GP Edition...BMT/RC300 Frankenstein.....Edam Razor2
Checkers or Wreckers......................................................................................
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #109
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I barely had anything to do with this thread taking a LiPo turn. Call off the hounds!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #110
Tech Master
 
Mr. McGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,695
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo View Post
Your post is reliable as you would have it from the horses mouth. Mike indicated it was an Orion pack. As much as that car hit the boards, it is understandable why it went up in flames. Tell Spencer thanks for the info. I was too busy marshalling to take a closer look.
I doubt Mike had a close look at it as it was burning his arm hairs...lol....

I asked Chris was type of battery it was, and he said it was a Maxamp soft pack.....and yeah, I think he hit about every board on the track.....

that was the biggest flames i have seen on a RC car!!!
__________________
XRAY | RCAMERICA | HUDY | Team Tamale
Mr. McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #111
Tech Elite
 
olhipster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard
Posts: 3,994
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default

I would say running a softpack in a touring car or wheeled RC is a big mistake...to many impacts...

glad no one got hurt.
__________________
everything is Cause and effect
every Action has a reaction.
"I drank too much wine - I must take a p!ss"
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #112
Tech Adept
 
Phroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 159
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest View Post
Yep, My helios has a Knee brace, a cane , and my car has Nimh's in it. But I have to run Nimh's because I don't race at "Joe's Backwater, We Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules, Run-What-Cha-Brung, Dirtatorium" I race where there are rules, and I like to go to big events, so no flame-thrower cells for me.

Bring on the Lithium Manganese technology, same or better number of duty cycles, just as much performance, and less volatility than Lipo's. When this technology reaches the RC market in significant number I'll embrace it. 'till then, I'll enjoy running some nice, safe, high performance Nimh EP cells from Hurricane Motorsports, along with my brushed stock motors.

We all know it's just a matter of time before someone, somewhere charges an EP pack at 12 or 14 amps and blows a cell, then three or four of these LIPO people will be in this thread posting the picture and talking about how unsafe Nimh's are. That's what they do in EVERY battery related thread on RCTech.

Now Lipo lovers, go hunker down in your lipo threads and bitch about new NIMH development, before all the nimh guys go into the threads about YOUR batteries and start posting pictures of fires, and stories from people whose homes or cars have burned-up because of the inherently safe and user friendly LIPO's you all love so much.
Hook... line... and sinker lol
Phroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #113
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I barely had anything to do with this thread taking a LiPo turn. Call off the hounds!
Hey don't blame me for this one! The NiMH guys started it down this path for once. Now that the pack on fire has been identified I can slip quietly out now. Just when I was starting to feel the love.

If we weren't talking lipo the thread would have been Trinity bashing anyway...*ducks*
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:32 AM   #114
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,715
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I think its interesting that Trinity is doing the EP cell.. I have run both and had great success with both, currently I would have to say the EP cell is more dependable and the IB cell if you find that one in 5 thats good is a better battery. I have purchased 3 different EP cells and they were all race winning packs and by no means had race winning numbers. I think the real interesting thing is going to be the competition between SMC and Trinity...2 of the largest companies in the RC industry going head to head with different products. The good thing is that both cells will do nothing but improve, the bad thing is the batteries will probably keep changing.You cant really count either battery out but it will definitly make the Vegas race interesting.
just my thoughts
MO
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #115
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhipster1 View Post
I would say running a softpack in a touring car or wheeled RC is a big mistake...to many impacts...

glad no one got hurt.
i was the one that marshaled the car. i don't believe that the impact started the flame up. I believe that the driver started the flames. he was on throttle while his car was up against the boards. or at least the speedo was applying throttle while the car was on the boards. I believe that heated the pack up. I watched the car. the car did not start smoking until I got to it. and just before the smoke was a small spark. this I am sure was at least a few seconds after the board hit (I am slow when it comes to marshaling. lol) I got the car off the boards and then the spark and then the smoke and then the BBQ began. I picked the car up with all the flames and threw it outside the track, but it went under the stand. then I pulled it from under the stand and left it on the concrete floor. that is when the battery fell out. Then Mike was able to find a trash can and get the ball of flames out the door. All that happened and not a scratch on the carpet. one thing to note. the saftey hazard is a real problem. the problem with lipo pack is that it produces its own fuel. there is really no way to put out a lipo pack easily at the track.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #116
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
i was the one that marshaled the car. i don't believe that the impact started the flame up. I believe that the driver started the flames. he was on throttle while his car was up against the boards. or at least the speedo was applying throttle while the car was on the boards. I believe that heated the pack up. I watched the car. the car did not start smoking until I got to it. and just before the smoke was a small spark. this I am sure was at least a few seconds after the board hit (I am slow when it comes to marshaling. lol) I got the car off the boards and then the spark and then the smoke and then the BBQ began. I picked the car up with all the flames and threw it outside the track, but it went under the stand. then I pulled it from under the stand and left it on the concrete floor. that is when the battery fell out. Then Mike was able to find a trash can and get the ball of flames out the door. All that happened and not a scratch on the carpet. one thing to note. the saftey hazard is a real problem. the problem with lipo pack is that it produces its own fuel. there is really no way to put out a lipo pack easily at the track.
Good thing you didn't get hurt man. Quick on your toes at least. Can I just say that according to the manufacturer, this would not have happened with an Orion pack. I admit I am a lipo convert. But I will not use or promote to be used any pack that would do what happened to you that day. THAT is an unacceptable safety risk. There is no excuse for running a pack that will not handle everything that will be thrown at it from amp draw to physical damage.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #117
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Good thing you didn't get hurt man. Quick on your toes at least. Can I just say that according to the manufacturer, this would not have happened with an Orion pack. I admit I am a lipo convert. But I will not use or promote to be used any pack that would do what happened to you that day. THAT is an unacceptable safety risk. There is no excuse for running a pack that will not handle everything that will be thrown at it from amp draw to physical damage.
I agree. It's unfortunate the cheap LiPo are giving the whole thing a bad name. And only people that care about LiPo make that distinction, everybody else just lumps them all together and shares their scary stories. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trinity Tru Lathe 3 with Diamond bit/Trinity Brush Station/ Putnam brush driller Brian Anthony R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 05-28-2008 08:01 AM
Reedy MVP - Trinity P2K/P2K2 - Trinity Green Machine Stock Motors S.Heath R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 02-14-2007 01:27 PM
WTB: Trinity TK1511 Trinity bomb One Foam goldberghere R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 02-04-2007 08:04 AM
Trinity Monster Stock Or Trinity P2K2?? murfy Australian Racing 22 02-10-2004 10:58 PM
Trinity Midnight vs. Trinity Chamealon 2 Pro NY24Rustler Electric Off-Road 2 10-02-2002 11:54 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net