Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
hi extreme, 3.5r motor are more to high speed ? 4.5r is high speed and torque or i'm wrong ? why nobody r using 4.0r ???
Kschu: If you run MOD, use the LRP 3.5 motor or Orion 3.5 motors. Only use 4.5 for smaller tracks. It just seems the 4.5 has more torque and less top end than NOvak 4.5 or Orion 4.5.

The LRP 3.5 is more equal to Novak 3.5R, but the Orion needs to be geared a few teeth more on pinion to get them to get up to really good speeds. Similar to SP motors

Regards

Yohan
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Cool

Originally Posted by Xtreme2008
The LRP motors have more torque out of the box but slightly less RPM than Novak and Orion Motors. BUt once you gear the LRPs right, they are exellent. The Orion motors you need to use more teeth on the pinion to get them up to speed. They run cooler as well due to the cooling holes on their can.

Either one is really good. After testing both systems, the LRP Sphere TC with Orion 3.5 or 4.5 Motors is really good combo.
Have you tried an SP GT yet? Its got more options than the Sphere TC
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Have you tried an SP GT yet? Its got more options than the Sphere TC
More options, but also more thermal shutdowns in my experience with them...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Randy, anytime you want to come down and run on the track... I am sure you can crash with Butter, or for that matter, I have a spare room...

We have a Reedy Style race in July...
It won't be too soon that I can come out there, but maybe I'll come out the weekend before the Snowbirds next year to check it out..
Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi yyhayyim, i'm currently using Sp v2 3.5r bl motor...i wan buy another bl motor for spare...jus wan to try other brand of BL motor...currently i'm running 9.56 ratio....d problem i have with d sp motor is i cannot use timing(ii). if i use that timing, my run time will less than 4minute..i oni can use timing(i). i'm runing on 5 cell with lrp sphere competition 2007....
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

yeppers got an s400 tonight on my doorstep when i got home.. haven't been much use around the house since . just raising the top deck wont do it as the bulkhead is what actually keeps my core 5000 from getting under there.. i'll just have to offset it or run my orion 3200 till the options are available or i make something else happen.. that long skinny top plate would be nice to soften this thing up a bit.. it's as stiff as my losi r which have always felt was waaaay too stiff..
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
More options, but also more thermal shutdowns in my experience with them...
My SP GT so far has been very good with SP motors and Novak motors. Never had thermal issues. There have been cases of faulty units.

My first experience with a Sphere TC was that it went up in smoke and melted on the first run Working great after a minute or so then.....sssssssssssss puff: white smoke and then flames, there it wentEveryone else loves them and get them to work...faulty unit I guess.

I know the GTs work nice, and the SP customer service thru Schumacher USA is really good.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tallyrc
yeppers got an s400 tonight on my doorstep when i got home.. haven't been much use around the house since . just raising the top deck wont do it as the bulkhead is what actually keeps my core 5000 from getting under there.. i'll just have to offset it or run my orion 3200 till the options are available or i make something else happen.. that long skinny top plate would be nice to soften this thing up a bit.. it's as stiff as my losi r which have always felt was waaaay too stiff..
Congratualtions

the shim option wont work with the current top deck and bulkheads on the S400. The belts are an issue amonsgt other things. However, the new updated S400 should solve all those problems and 23mm+ Lipos should fit with no pblms.

But for now the Orion 3200 fit fine, and the SMC4000 fit perfect.

THe Orion 3600 fit good but your either have to file down about .5mm from the bulkhead or the pack to get it slide in.

That's why I really like the SMC4000 packs on the S400...most run time and no filing to bulkheads.

Hope to see you next wed night at MDI...or should we call it the S400 test track
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

so far the car looks real impressive but does have some little quirks.. like what is up with the really stiff belts? and i can't say i really like the studs you have to screw in everywhere then attach the ball ends onto to them. just seems like an extra step. that said those are pretty petty and it seems like a real quality kit.. NO slop anywhere! great machining, looks tough as nails, standard aluminum uprights are a plus.. can't wait to run it next wednesday... if i can find a servo horn...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

so far the car looks real impressive but does have some little quirks.. like what is up with the really stiff belts? and i can't say i really like the studs you have to screw in everywhere then attach the ball ends onto to them. just seems like an extra step. that said those are pretty petty and it seems like a real quality kit.. NO slop anywhere! great machining, looks tough as nails, standard aluminum uprights are a plus.. can't wait to run it next wednesday... if i can find a servo horn...
I got some spare 23 and 24t Serpent horns. One of them will work on the Hitech servos.

The belts are the new version ARamid belts which are much tougher and longer lasting, especially when using the Gear Diff. You'll love them. If you feel belt tention is too tight, just play with the eccentrics and loosen them a bit.

About the ball studs...you can easily unscrew them from the top to remove the camber links, or pop the ball cups off if needed. Or just use a 1.5mm and you can remove the grub screw and ball together...I dont mind it.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

One little detail: make sure you a little lock-tite to the servo saver nut on the bell brank, and then adjust it...if not it will get loose after a few runs, especially at MDI. I think Tim P or Butter can fill you in this if you need more details or pics.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

My SP GT so far has been very good with SP motors and Novak motors. Never had thermal issues. There have been cases of faulty units.

My first experience with a Sphere TC was that it went up in smoke and melted on the first run Working great after a minute or so then.....sssssssssssss puff: white smoke and then flames, there it wentEveryone else loves them and get them to work...faulty unit I guess.

I know the GTs work nice, and the SP customer service thru Schumacher USA is really good.
I had 2 SP ESC's and 1 of them would thermal, and the other just felt like it had a ton of resistance, I put the LRP back in and found the power that I felt like I had been lacking, was pretty surprized at how huge the difference was.

I've never seen anyone blow up a LRP out here, you should definately try another one as that had to be a fluke..
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by kschu
hi yyhayyim, i'm currently using Sp v2 3.5r bl motor...i wan buy another bl motor for spare...jus wan to try other brand of BL motor...currently i'm running 9.56 ratio....d problem i have with d sp motor is i cannot use timing(ii). if i use that timing, my run time will less than 4minute..i oni can use timing(i). i'm runing on 5 cell with lrp sphere competition 2007....
4 mins of runtime?? Something sounds very wrong. I get about 5:30 with a 3.0 turn Orion motor using Orion 4200SHO batteries and I believe that exact same gear ratio. I run the timing turned down slightly on the motor with a Sphere TC.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Randy Caster
I had 2 SP ESC's and 1 of them would thermal, and the other just felt like it had a ton of resistance, I put the LRP back in and found the power that I felt like I had been lacking, was pretty surprized at how huge the difference was.

I've never seen anyone blow up a LRP out here, you should definately try another one as that had to be a fluke..
Might just do that. I know at 2 people at our local track that run them and they never had issues...many others in Florida also run them and they never had pblms. Mine had to be a fluke...it happens sometimes.

I pick up an LRP and check out lap times
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

One little detail: make sure you a little lock-tite to the servo saver nut on the bell brank, and then adjust it...if not it will get loose after a few runs, especially at MDI. I think Tim P or Butter can fill you in this if you need more details or pics.
One other thing you can do if you don't want the servo saver at all is just glue the 2 pieces together. I did this, then tightened the spring down as tight as it would go and glued the spring retainer in place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.