Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Spillertwo :

How about run time ?
Old 03-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

this is weird everytime i read reviews on the novak system i keep getting mixed results somes say that the bl motor equal a 10t motor other a 17t motor!!??
whats up with that
Old 03-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

17t... that does not make a lots of sence to me??
Old 03-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by contact
17t... that does not make a lots of sence to me??
did you have the chance to try it in the unlimited setting?
whats it like?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

I think some of the confusion lies in the motor pulls like an animal off the line then seems to smooth out I ran mine on a short track and ran low gearing and had to deal with hard punch off the corner.
Definately felt like a mod I put it around a mild 13t or so can't wait to open it up on a wide open track
I am running the Novak
Old 03-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Oh also ran it in 24d class on the sportsman setting and the car were almost dead equal I was still geared like a mod and when it hit the limiter it you could tell. The 24d motor guys would pull on the straight but I could get in harder due to no drag on from the motor 1-2 teeth would have put the cars on equal terms.

Driving style is alot different from a brushed motor because of the lack of drag. You have to run the front of the car real aggressive to get the turn-in and I had a 1-way in the car on smooth concrete
Old 03-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Well, the speedie is capable of handling a motor rated up to 225W, and the current one is rated at 196W. I don't know how this rating compares to a max power reading on a brushed motor dyno, but most low wind brushed motors have from 220-240 W max power I think (I only look at power at 30 amps so not quite sure on that). So when they bring one out that is on a par with the top low wind motors, you will almost certainly need a new speedy.

Someone said before about how Orion delayed their BL and are now onto their second version and it being a marketing exercise. I don't think this is the case. I think Orion tried to make their original system conform to as many existing specs as possible, primarily the use of ferrite magnets, but then realised Novak were going neodynium and not bothering to conform to existing specs, so they probably rejigged the whole project to follow novaks lead. The second gen Orion is probably alot more their own design, with a more standard size speedy etc.

It would be good if there was an amalgum of all the best features
of the Hacker and the Novak. I got the Novak simply because I can't get a Hacker into my XXX-S, but I am pretty impressed with the Novak now I have it, even though I have only hacked up and down the street a few times with it. It is so smooth on acceleration and braking... and I like the "roll on" effect it has off power.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by sleek the elite
Well, the speedie is capable of handling a motor rated up to 225W, and the current one is rated at 196W. I don't know how this rating compares to a max power reading on a brushed motor dyno, but most low wind brushed motors have from 220-240 W max power I think (I only look at power at 30 amps so not quite sure on that). So when they bring one out that is on a par with the top low wind motors, you will almost certainly need a new speedy.

Someone said before about how Orion delayed their BL and are now onto their second version and it being a marketing exercise. I don't think this is the case. I think Orion tried to make their original system conform to as many existing specs as possible, primarily the use of ferrite magnets, but then realised Novak were going neodynium and not bothering to conform to existing specs, so they probably rejigged the whole project to follow novaks lead. The second gen Orion is probably alot more their own design, with a more standard size speedy etc.

It would be good if there was an amalgum of all the best features
of the Hacker and the Novak. I got the Novak simply because I can't get a Hacker into my XXX-S, but I am pretty impressed with the Novak now I have it, even though I have only hacked up and down the street a few times with it. It is so smooth on acceleration and braking... and I like the "roll on" effect it has off power.
do you think it could compare to a 12t motor?
Old 03-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

Hard to say, I was only hacking up and down the street, and I usually only run on the track, but it didn't feel too far off the ten turn brushed I usually run. It felt quick, and it had great acceleration, but it's definetely not got the "power on tap" like the Hacker has.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I have the novak SS in my dyna storm right now which comes stock with a mild 14t I'm using a matched sanyo 3300 pack and I've noticed a very nice increase in speed and run times I'm waiting for parts to put my evo3 back together and try this out in it. with a 7cell pack I think with 7cells the novak system is comparable to a 10turn. So far my impression is a very good one, I also have an aveox rc7 with a l160 controller in my e-maxx with 12 cells it get's well into the 50mph range. I would not use the novak system for an emaxx unless you wanted to get two of them. Brushless is worth it weight in gold just for the fact thats it's maintainance free, throw in on top of that 20% more efficiency and nearly no cogging and it's easy to see why it will be the next "thing" in r/c cars and trucks.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Walker
I have the novak SS in my dyna storm right now which comes stock with a mild 14t I'm using a matched sanyo 3300 pack and I've noticed a very nice increase in speed and run times I'm waiting for parts to put my evo3 back together and try this out in it. with a 7cell pack I think with 7cells the novak system is comparable to a 10turn. So far my impression is a very good one, I also have an aveox rc7 with a l160 controller in my e-maxx with 12 cells it get's well into the 50mph range. I would not use the novak system for an emaxx unless you wanted to get two of them. Brushless is worth it weight in gold just for the fact thats it's maintainance free, throw in on top of that 20% more efficiency and nearly no cogging and it's easy to see why it will be the next "thing" in r/c cars and trucks.
from what i gather from users reviews the motor feel in between a 12-13t brushed motor.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Somebody is trying to start another Novak BL thread. Let that other thread die.

On a more positive note, I got a Novak BL installed in a Evo3 last week and it looks nice
Old 03-21-2003, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
sorry guy's I didn't see this thread.. I agree let the other thread die! I didn't see where to delete that thread..

anyone know what the life span is on the brushless motor?
Old 03-22-2003, 02:28 AM
Tech Rookie

By all means they should last forever, or as long as the bearings would hold up.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

The magnets will wear out eventually but the bearings, if maintained well, should last a long time.

cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.