Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Matt howard
I see a few posts back that you move the rear wish bone back to give more on power steering ,how dose this help with the handling of the car
Old 01-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by ATLAS COPCO
Matt howard
I see a few posts back that you move the rear wish bone back to give more on power steering ,how dose this help with the handling of the car
If you move the rear arms forward then you'll get more weight over the rear tires which will give you more rear traction (less steering). If you move the rear arms back then you'll have less weight on the rear tires and the rear suspension giving you more on power steering.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Default SDW Question

TO ALL SDW Owners - Would it be possible to know what shock lengths you guys settled for, (both front and rear)? Also, did you resort to using droop? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: SDW Question

Originally posted by joelt
TO ALL SDW Owners - Would it be possible to know what shock lengths you guys settled for, (both front and rear)? Also, did you resort to using droop? Thanks in advance.
Haven't tried the car at all on the track, but I settled for 60mm all around being that this car was put together using Masami's world's set-up. I haven't talked to Steve W. from Speedtech, but heard from two reliable sources that when Steve took the car to the track a couple days ago, the car was HOOKED - box-stock! . But of course that doesn't mean squat for all tracks

- jaybee
Old 01-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Jaybee. Haven't laid mine yet on the track too. . . . for fear of scratching the lower deck and titanium screws unnecessarily 62mm was just about right for my CGM and Black Special. But even this length now seems to be way too low for the SDW.

You think I can go for about 63 or 64mm without veering off from the way the car is supposed to handle with the stock setup?

JOELT
Old 01-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

joelt:
as long as the ride height and droop are correct, why would the shock length cause your car to dip more?
Old 01-02-2005, 11:22 PM
Tech Master

Hi Lee,

Ride height and some downward suspension travel are actually the problems I am anticipating right now with the recommended shock length of the SDW. At 60mm (or even 62mm), the resulting ride height might be a bit too low for our race track. I don't think I'll be able to hit 5.0 in front and 5.5 at the back with recommended shock positions (outermost hole for the arms). Also, the mentioned shock lengths do not give room for any downward suspension travel. The axles are about level when viewed from the back or front, with the shocks fully extended.

This is why I'm now asking around if increasing the shock length to about 64mm would cause me to veer off from the intended handling of the box setup.

JOELT
Old 01-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

droop problems, I see..
Well by all means extend the shock length. I don't think it'll affect the 'intended' handling characteristics.
If you want to maintain the shock length at 60mm, then you can cut/shorten the triangle/tube fixture inside the shock, where it straightens the shaft travel. Shorten both sides equally by about 2-3mm. I recommend cutting and then sanding to get a nice flat finish.

____ <- triangle
| |
| | <- tube
| |

shortened:
____
| |
| |

forgive the amateurish drawing, hope you understand it.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Lee for this tip!!! I never did think of modifying those triangular things we place inside the shock until now. . . . . The only thing I did was screw or unscrew the shock ends to get the desired length.

Btw, I understood your drawing perfectly. Thanks again.

JOELT
Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: SDW Question

Originally posted by JayBee
Haven't tried the car at all on the track, but I settled for 60mm all around being that this car was put together using Masami's world's set-up. I haven't talked to Steve W. from Speedtech, but heard from two reliable sources that when Steve took the car to the track a couple days ago, the car was HOOKED - box-stock! . But of course that doesn't mean squat for all tracks

- jaybee
Jaybee,

I'll measure the length of hte shock on my car as soon as I get a chance. The first time out the car really surprised me, it was easy to drive and I nearly TQ that night. For those that know me, I usually never go well at SoCal (usually bottom of the A, top of the B type of finish for me) but for me to nearly TQ was unbelievable I went back out again this past Saturday, and only made some minor change to the car, and again by main time it was just like Tuesday again At this moment, I have to say, the car is a lot better than the driver behind the wheel (me!)

Steve Wang
Old 01-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Matt Howard
If you move the rear arms forward then you'll get more weight over the rear tires which will give you more rear traction (less steering). If you move the rear arms back then you'll have less weight on the rear tires and the rear suspension giving you more on power steering.
Thanks for that Matt
I understand now that you have explaned it for me
Old 01-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Steering Servo

Which steering servo are you guys using? I currently have an Airtronics 94737. It works well, but I'd like to use a servo that has similar characteristics, but smaller if possible.

Also, I'd like to see photos of your chassis' electronics layout?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Steering Servo

Originally posted by Geppetto
Which steering servo are you guys using? I currently have an Airtronics 94737. It works well, but I'd like to use a servo that has similar characteristics, but smaller if possible.

KO PDS 2143

- jaybee

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Steering Servo

Originally posted by Geppetto

Futaba S9550!
not too fast until inducing oversteer, but just fast enough.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by lee82gx
droop problems, I see..
Well by all means extend the shock length. I don't think it'll affect the 'intended' handling characteristics.
If you want to maintain the shock length at 60mm, then you can cut/shorten the triangle/tube fixture inside the shock, where it straightens the shaft travel. Shorten both sides equally by about 2-3mm. I recommend cutting and then sanding to get a nice flat finish.

____ <- triangle
| |
| | <- tube
| |

shortened:
____
| |
| |

forgive the amateurish drawing, hope you understand it.
I cut the tube part completely off of mine just leaving the triangle piece and it works perfect. This way you can achieve any droop setting you want without having to unscrew the shock ends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.