Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Everything will twist to a certain degree... The SSG would flex a lot easier and a lot of the time it'd hold that twist.....
Old 11-05-2004, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

I thought the same way until one time when I was practicing someone on my frequency suddenly turn on his radio, I got interference, the car turned sharply to the right and hit the board pretty hard, nothing broke. After that, but the car won't run straight anymore. I took it back to the pit, it was way off on the tweak station. Plus the camber was off too, one side had 3degree and the other side had only 0.5degree. Normally I run 1.5degree. It is more tweak resistance than SSG, but it can get tweak during a hard crash.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Just installed my new KO VFS-1. Damn this thing is even smaller than my receiver
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-dscn2297.jpg  
Old 11-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by caveman
If you think CGM will not get tweak, all I say is "good luck".
It is kind of an inside joke, he actually broke it in half...
Old 11-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

There is probably no such thing asa car that does not tweek, but the CGM is probably the closest you are going to get to an RC car that doesn't tweek.

I have been building RC cars for longer than I care to remember and have not found another car yet that stays right like the CGM does.

And believe me, with my driving I certainly test its strength to the max.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:16 AM
Tech Master

When I can afford it I've decided the first major upgrade will be to.....

put a better bearing set in my car and ceramics seem to be the way to go. A simple question I hope...will they (all other things being equal) make my car faster?

From what I can figure cleaning them wont have to be so often and that alone is a selling point but yeah the question above.

Or would the precision Yokomo set be enough?

Additional: At the moment I've done the flush them out and relube with a lighter oil thing for the standard set can I skip that with ceramics?
Old 11-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you do get ceramics, they are usually lubed with a lightweight oil already. It's only the kit bearings that come with that thick grease in them. Are they going to make your car faster? well they're going to let your transmission spin more freely which should make your car alittle faster, every little bit helps. You should also look into the graphite gears, they're harder and more durable than the stock gears and they will also help free up the transmission.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Matt Howard
If you do get ceramics, they are usually lubed with a lightweight oil already. It's only the kit bearings that come with that thick grease in them. Are they going to make your car faster? well they're going to let your transmission spin more freely which should make your car alittle faster, every little bit helps. You should also look into the graphite gears, they're harder and more durable than the stock gears and they will also help free up the transmission.
Already have the CGM so got the graphite bits and yeah every little bit helps. That said are the maintenance intervals further apart with ceramics (re-oiling) due to better sheilds/construction and should I (do I need too) remove the inwards facing sheilds with them as I have done with the kit bearings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The CGM does not include the graphite gears, no current kit does. I've only used the Yokomo ceramics but I did notice that I didn't need to clean them as often as the kit bearings, so I'm assuming they are built with closer tolerances.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Matt Howard
The CGM does not include the graphite gears, no current kit does. I've only used the Yokomo ceramics but I did notice that I didn't need to clean them as often as the kit bearings, so I'm assuming they are built with closer tolerances.
I guess it's different here in NZ then (I assume the kits are Japan models) mine came with a one way and if it's not graphite I'll eat my hat gears .

Anyone want a front one-way by the way I prefer two diffs?
Old 11-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How would you guys gear a D-5 11x1 for a technical track?
I run 73 spur and currently 24 pinion. It has great top end and low end is pretty good but I am afraid of undergearing it.
Hust thought I would ask.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen <><
Old 11-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Default mr4tc sd ssg

yes, I also want to hear opinion from racer using ball diff front and rear vs. front one way, thx.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I like a ball diff in front when brakes are more needed. If you can drive your car without brakes or with minimal use of brakes then a Front one way is perfect for your driving. I use both depending on if the track is short and technical then I use a ball diff and if the track is more open and has sweeping turns then a one way is what I choose.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><

P.S. If you don't try it you can never know what works for you. Everyone has there opinions but nothing beats trying it yourself for your own results. My opinion is for my driving style(yes it plays that big role). I would recommmend seeing what guys are using at your track. If no one is using a oneway then it is safe to say that the investment probably isn't worth it, but if you have a couple using one then go for. you can always sell it on Ebay or save it for the other tracks you race at.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Just back from running a coupl of packs at the track.

This car gets better all the time.

Regarding different diffs for different uses may I suggest you try a spool up front. It encourages you to be so much more agressive both into and out of turns, with the resultant improvement in lap times. I wouldn't be without it nowadays.

MATT. How are you coping in Korea? Yokes didn't do so badly at the Worlds. Just 2 works cars entered, and both finish in the A.

A Barracuda friend told me that Yoke had copied Barracuda with their open gearbox SDW. I replied that it was a good thing they didn't copy it too well then, for they too would have ended up in the D. Needless to say, he didn't have a reply for that.

I see Billy stuck with his SSG. He really likes that car, doesn't he.

Regards
Old 11-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks shooky and johnbull, I have to try it, feel it and see whether I really like it or not.

Currently I'm still using front one way and the car is doing fine. Just little bit oversteer when the tires are hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.