Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Hi friends. greetings from Malta.

RANDMAN.

Yes, I was impressed with the CGM, and so it seems were some guys at the track on Saturday. I took the rolling chassis I built down with me to show to the guys and sold it within 5 minutes.

I'll be building another this week. The guy that bought it wants me to wash bearings out etc - you know, do it like I would do my own, and even run a few packs and set it up for him, so I should be able to tell you more about it by the end of the week.

I keep one of each model Yoke for myself - have done for some years now. I have one of the original YR4s, a YR4M, a J type YR4, a YZ10, an MX4, then one of the original backbone MR4s, an MR4 Custom, MR4 Pro, MR4 Special, MR4 SSG, and now 3 SDs, the SSG, the Rayspeed, and the CGM.

That's apart from all the other makes, various Schumachers, including a still boxed CAT 98 and one of their first 4wd cars - also still boxed and unbuilt, various Corallys, a Predator, an M1 Express, and even a Tamiya TA02.

Will give you news of the CGM as it progresses.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I've finally raced the Rayspeed chassis conversion. My first impressions of the chassis were very good, and lets face it, they do look really nice. The car attracted alot of interest, so all eyes were on my car every time it hit the track. To be honest, I was feeling the pressure and this made me a little more nervous than usual. Add to this the very narrow track that was laid - just 1.5m in most places - it was going to be a real test.

I left the settings as they were on my SSG on the front and rear ends just as a starting point. During practice, I noticed a slight power on understeer, but the car was noticeably more stable than the SSG, especially when putting the power down out of corners. Off power, the car seemed to have a tad more steering. It required a slightly different driving style but felt good.

During qualifying, I was placed in a very difficult heat with 3 racers of very similar pace and 2 who were considerably slower and very unwilling to allow the lapping cars to pass Unfortunately, this turned our heat into a bit of a lottery - if you managed to get past the 2 slower cars, you got a good time. Out of the four rounds, only one was a true reflection of my pace. My lap times were good though and I could see that certain changes improved my times throughout qualifying. I actually ended up running Orange springs on the rear with just 2 degrees rear toe in! I looked good for a comfortable A final position, but unfortunately a last round disaster with a muppet meant that whilst others improved, I didn't. I missed out on the A by about 1 second.

My B final time though would have have placed me 3rd overall, so considering it was a first day out with the Rayspeed, it was a very respectable result against some decent drivers. Having posted the 3rd fastest time of the day, it showed that it was very consistent :

Fastest lap - 10.207 sec Average lap 10.934

Considering the difficult track, I was very pleased with these results. But the car deserved to be in the A, even if I didn't!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by forty6
Yep, the price isn't bad either. If you have a coupon and a tower club member, even better.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDY2&P=7
Wow, that is definately cheaper than I would have thought... I was thinking in the range of 6-650.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by shortygy
What is the part # for those hardened universals from the old car... Randman are these also the ones you waited for from speedtech...???
I dont know the part #, but Speedtech has both the front and rear universals in stock, if you want to order online, they are in the MR4TC hopups section.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 AM
IH
Tech Adept

Default Associated springs

Do the Associated springs fit the SD without modifications (retainers, shock ends..) and do they have the same length?

Is there any particular reason why people use Asso springs with their SD, besides of the fact that you have a larger variety of spring rates to choose from?

Thanks
IH
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone using tamiya servo post for Rayspeed?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Aku-Man
Tower Hobbies selling it in March.
that means closer to mid - end of April...
Old 03-01-2004, 08:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Re: Associated springs

Originally posted by IH
Do the Associated springs fit the SD without modifications (retainers, shock ends..) and do they have the same length?

Is there any particular reason why people use Asso springs with their SD, besides of the fact that you have a larger variety of spring rates to choose from?

Thanks
IH
To run the Associated springs on the SD, you just need to buy the Rayspeed retainers. I believe the reason some people go to them is because they have a more progressive feel than the standard Yokomo springs.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by lonestar1127
No - but what's the reasoning behind it?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by lonestar1127
I was thinking to buy those...but were can you find them?? (small one from the EIII ot 415)?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was just sitting at the computer today and suddenly realized i have a body that's not painted, So why not paint it?
Here's the finished body
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-0-002.jpg  
Old 03-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

that scheme is pretty hot
Old 03-01-2004, 11:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I definately like the windshield...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:54 AM
IH
Tech Adept

Thanks for your answer Randman!

Have you ever tried to use Rayspeed springs with the CGM?Does it work?

Thanks.
IH
Old 03-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Setup Starting Point???

I finally got confirmation that a local track (Hobbytown Frederick, MD) will in fact be hosting races this Spring/Summer. With that knowledge, I can now begin building my MR4-TCSD black (that I've had since September' 03), knowing that I have a place to race that's close to home. After buying the kit, I decided not to build it since we were entering the winter, and not knowing if I'd have a place to race next summer. I figured if I left everything packed up, I could sell it if things didn't work out.

So I'm seeking advice for setup (tuning: shockoil, swaybars, springs, shock piston #, droop etc.). The track is asphalt, with medium-to-high grip. More than likely I'll be running rubber tires, and track temperatures often exceed 120 degrees (F) here during the summer.

Also, are there any "MUST HAVE" tuning/adjustability options that would be necessary.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.