Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 09:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

For diff break in, I like to hold one tire and let the motor run at low power for about 10 secs, then hold the tire on the opposite side and repeat. You should be able to adjust it at that point, and hopefully wont have any more problems.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks I'll try them out!

Originally posted by 2Tenths
I've found that, when the car is louder than normal, it usually means there is some binding in the drivetrain. You may want to take the motor out of gear and rotate the drivetrain very slowly by hand, feeling for any sticky spots. If you find one, take the center shaft out so you can tell whether the problem is in the front or rear diff case. Once you know, redo the shimming until the problem is fixed. Also, if you do not find a sticky spot, twist the diffs and try again. The diffs are not perfectly round, and so, in a certain position they may bind more than normal. This happened on my car, and I had to simply loosen the shimming.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:23 AM
IH
Tech Adept

Default ceramic bearing set...

What cermaic bearing set for the SD would you prefer? Yokomo, Acer, ??? .

Has anyone tried the ceramic diff balls from acer. 19.99$ is alot of money for 8 balls

Thanks,
IH
Old 01-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Randman
H is just a hard material block, dont think the mold is different.
H is a different mould, as Matt described, with more material around where the driveshaft threads through. Material actually looks the same, but may be stronger as well. Newer SD's probably come with the H blocks as standard, I would guess it's a running change in the parts (modifying the old mould). G I haven't seen but since they are new out I would assume they are the H mould in Graphite.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

It's good to see Yokomo responding to these design flaws - flaws which have been highlighted to CML by numerous people, myself included. These obvious problems have been apparent to many racers using the the first examples of the SD SSG available here in the UK.

Let's hope the revised parts have arrived in time - unfortunately the SD SSG has already earnt itself a poor reputation as a very fragile car that lives up to it's nickname - brokeomo. This is a real shame as the car, when it holds together, is extremely quick when correctly set-up.

Hopefully the driveshaft issues have been dealt with too - cos they weren't right either!

I have been running the new Graphite arms and I find them to be lasting much better than the old style plastic arms. Is the reason for this the new material? Or have the arm moulds been improved as well? You'd have thought that the Graphite arms would be less durable! Are the new graphite carriers mouldings thicker too?

On a more positive note, I recently attended a 1000 lap endurance race and My Yok SD was not only on the winning team - it didn't break a single part during the event!! It was the ONLY SD that didn't break during the meeting All the other SD drivers emptied my spares box though
Old 01-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

I've found a really simple solution on breaking diff screws I used this on my YZ. I went to the hobby shop and actually got some same size mm screws that were for Model R/C Airplanes. Haven't broken one since. And that would be in years. Remember cars aren't the only RC things that need screws.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm running the acer. They really do make the diff smooth. But I guess that is your prefrence. Plus you won't have to change the ceramics. They will last a long time.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:18 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default Re: ceramic bearing set...

Originally posted by IH

Has anyone tried the ceramic diff balls from acer. 19.99$ is alot of money for 8 balls

Thanks,
IH
I've had great luck with the Acer bearings, but I'm pretty sure the Yokomo's will be just as good, just not as good seals.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by sosidge
H is a different mould, as Matt described, with more material around where the driveshaft threads through. Material actually looks the same, but may be stronger as well. Newer SD's probably come with the H blocks as standard, I would guess it's a running change in the parts (modifying the old mould). G I haven't seen but since they are new out I would assume they are the H mould in Graphite.
I'll get some pics of my graphite C Hubs when I get my car back together, but they did have more material than the ones I pulled off when I broke..
Old 01-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Horatio

Hopefully the driveshaft issues have been dealt with too - cos they weren't right either!

I
If they have then i dont know about it!

Sleighty
Old 01-05-2004, 11:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

What was wrong with the origional driveshafts?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

I'll get some pics of my graphite C Hubs when I get my car back together, but they did have more material than the ones I pulled off when I broke..
So what you're saying is that the G versions appear to come from the same mould as the new H versions, just as sosidge speculated? This is very good news!!
Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation

What was wrong with the origional driveshafts?
Put quite frankly - they were shit!!

It strikes me that you were fortunate enough never to have witnessed the 'shit-ness' first hand because you may not have had the same batch as the ones us Brits had to endure. Same goes for the c-hubs, steering arms etc.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by Horatio
So what you're saying is that the G versions appear to come from the same mould as the new H versions, just as sosidge speculated? This is very good news!!
I'm pretty sure, but I didn't pay too much attention to the broken one, these just looked a hair beefier.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sleighty
If they have then i dont know about it!

Sleighty
Sleighty: mate! Now that they are addressing certain issues with the car, it would surprise me if the driveshafts weren't high on the list of 'revisions'.

In the meantime, remove the 'black crap' off the barrel that goes through the CVD end and open out the hole slighty with either a dremmel OR some fine wet n dry. If you're feeling clever you can also use some heat shrink to ensure the pin never comes out too - the grub screw has alot to do holding that shiny polished pin in place. Thread lock alone isn't enough - and I might add that any thread lock used has to be applied with surgical precision. If it gets onto the barrel, it will seize straight away. This can lead to the hubs, arms etc failing for no apparent reason.

BTW - I've witnessed first hand the friction welding thing that these shafts can do It's true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.