Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
Well lets just wait and see what happens...........maybe Marc Fisher took it upon himself to bolt some tamiya parts on his car. Judging by where he qualified at this race............the parts didn't help.
sorry if I jump the gun but I guess since the worlds is right around the corner we'll see all kind of crazy stuff.

Josh you spoke of BIG THINGS TO COME are they working on a new suspension
Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Adept

Well, I like the new car. The new black color looks killer.

And let's face it... if these Tamiya parts are better than the Corally's, this would be an improvement. So if this is a faster car, I wouldn't totally care if it's 70% a Tamiya .
Greetings Victor
Old 06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I know they are working on something (they always are) but I don't think fishers car is close to a finished product.

Last edited by Josh Hohnstein; 06-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Apparently the "golden ratio" was only gold plated? I'm guessing they won't call the new car a "Phi" if the ratio changes. :-D Man, this is too easy...

Okay, so on a more serious note... The cars that this appears to emulate aren't really known for being great on foam tires. Wouldn't a departure from the golden ratio potentially hurt the car on foams? Has that market dwindled enough that it doesn't matter as much?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

syndrome..........you will get a taste of the gold plated phi in vegas
Old 06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
syndrome..........you will get a taste of the gold plated phi in vegas
Zing! Me and about 80 other guys, if history is any indication. :-)
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
I must say i'm little disapointed :-/
it could be alot worse

at least it doesn't have losi parts on it, if it did i don't think we could show my faces at the track anymore with how much we make fun of the slosis
Old 06-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

We have our state title coming up this weekend and ive got my Phi weapon dialled, have posted a Youtube movie of it so you guys can see the car and our track, enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLilJnPLHvU

That black on the proto car looks weapon.

Rhys
Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

I know Fisher has been running a tamiya based suspension for a whiiiiiile. He's played with it on several occasions in the past.

-Korey
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Let's count the ways of tamiya parts
1. front A-arms
2. Rear A-arms
3. Rear hubs
4. Front & Rear universals
5. Castor blocks
6. steering blocks
7. Sway bar set F&R
8. A-arms mounts
9. MRE spool
10. tamiya shocks
I'm no tamiya guy coming over to flame this thread, I'm running the PHI and I must say instead of calling this a prototype just give the part# to the 416 conversion kit.......oh wait it may be cheaper to get a 416
Old 06-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

The Prototype is indeed using a lot of Tamiya parts, as they will be basing the new car on the TRF416 geometry.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Half Corally, half Tamiya......... sounds like the new Xray prototype.

Last edited by stiltskin; 06-29-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SocialRC12
I agree, the first time trying to build the diff is a pain in the ass! Quick question for everyone, I run on carpet with Jaco foam pinks...I'm having a hard time understanding the coupler positions (hole up vs. down). The phi manual says that you should run them up on carpet but alot of the setup sheets I'm seeing for carpet run them down...What is the main difference between running up vs. down? As always, any help very appreciated.
this is comming from the guy who is up for a 'wrenching intervention' in which my friends take my tools away so I can't do damage to my car. So double check and question my info:

Couplers dictate your chassis hight and angle which has a major impact on weight transfer. Pending position they can raise, lower or angle the chassis plate. Higher plate gives more roll, lower gives lower cg. If the front is low and the back is high you keep the weight on the front end at the expense of a looser back end.

**couplers can also be used to create anit-squat/anti-dive/kickup. Ex. the front coupler is up and the back of the front coupler is down gives you 'kick up' which can be used if a track has bumps.

hope this helps and if someone else reads this with a correction, please do so.

Last edited by The Bear; 06-29-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: better info
Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SocialRC12
I agree, the first time trying to build the diff is a pain in the ass! Quick question for everyone, I run on carpet with Jaco foam pinks...I'm having a hard time understanding the coupler positions (hole up vs. down). The phi manual says that you should run them up on carpet but alot of the setup sheets I'm seeing for carpet run them down...What is the main difference between running up vs. down? As always, any help very appreciated.
Running the couplers down lowers the roll center and increases the weight transfer to that end of the car (which will increase roll). Running them in the up position does the opposite. A lower roll center is often desirable on carpet because the rate of the weight transfer is lower, and therefore the car won't create as much grip instantaneously, but will ultimately have more. Running the couplers in the down positions will decrease the rate of roll of the car, will feel smoother, and will create more overall grip.

It is a general rule of thumb in vehicle dynamics that the height of the roll center should be directly proportional to the center of gravity of the car. If, for instance, a car has a much higher CG in the rear than the front, then you would have to have a much higher roll center (relative to the front) in the rear, also. This will keep the relative weight transfer balanced. Since the Phi has very similar CG's front and rear, the car often works best with the couplers at the same height. Many times people will run the rear couplers up in order to facilitate more weight transfer to the front of the car. Whether or not this works well is entirely dependent on the rest of the setup.

Experiment with these coupler positions and find the best balance for you and your car.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nice description Brian <applause...if I could>

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.