Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh H
I'm not trying to be a dick..............but you guys are way off on your spring choices. There is no need to run the same rear springs as a foam setup.

Rubber tire is all about weight transfer..........front and rear........and side to side. Springs that stiff and swaybars will do nothing buy keep the back end flat and maybe let the tires slide........but I guarantee sliding an asphalt car is not the best way around the track.
What changes do you think I should make to the setup I posted? I'm not going back to that track anytime soon but i'd be curious to see what changes you would make and test them on my home track.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

I think you need to try to get the front and back ends of the car to roll over at the same time........or maybe even let it roll over the back end more than the front.

My guess is that you guys were keeping the back end flatter and letting the front end dive.......and thats where your steering was coming from.

The things I would put on your "try" list:
Kick up....the .6 deg blocks seem perfect with 3 deg castor blocks

Go soft on the rear spring.......12 or 14 lb in the middle hole on arm

Go narrow in the front......like Mike said....the car turns better if its narrow

I'm not sold on the rear arms up front or the super short wheelbase.......they both have some positive effects but I think they carry some negative effects also........not bad thing to do but i'm just not convinced its needed.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

How much different is the kickup coupler clamp compared to just flipping one of the couplers over?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

I'm pretty sure flipping the dots is equal to 1.5 deg
Old 05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yea 1.5 deg sounds about right
Old 05-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

I think you need to try to get the front and back ends of the car to roll over at the same time........or maybe even let it roll over the back end more than the front.

My guess is that you guys were keeping the back end flatter and letting the front end dive.......and thats where your steering was coming from.

The things I would put on your "try" list:
Kick up....the .6 deg blocks seem perfect with 3 deg castor blocks

Go soft on the rear spring.......12 or 14 lb in the middle hole on arm

Go narrow in the front......like Mike said....the car turns better if its narrow

I'm not sold on the rear arms up front or the super short wheelbase.......they both have some positive effects but I think they carry some negative effects also........not bad thing to do but i'm just not convinced its needed.
After traction dropped I was at 17 lb front, 14 rear in middle hole on arm one in on tower, with standard arms in front with narrow steering knuckles. Car was shimmed with 2mm on each side in front but still narrower than back. Worked ok when track was cold, but when warmer car pushed again bad. I ran kickup when I first got to the track but put both dots down in front and up in back as we progressed and it felt better.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by edseb
After traction dropped I was at 17 lb front, 14 rear in middle hole on arm one in on tower, with standard arms in front with narrow steering knuckles. Car was shimmed with 2mm on each side in front but still narrower than back. Worked ok when track was cold, but when warmer car pushed again bad. I ran kickup when I first got to the track but put both dots down in front and up in back as we progressed and it felt better.
Super short wheelbase?? Was the push on power?? Where was your shock location on front arm??
Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default rdx phi - help

can anyone suggest where i can go for a simple first time user set up for this car ?
phil
Old 05-30-2008, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blueboy3355
can anyone suggest where i can go for a simple first time user set up for this car ?
phil
Hi Phil,

For use on carpet or asphalt? Name the track if you know.

With what front end? Dif, spool or one-way?

What motor?

And anything else you already know.

This info should yield you a good response.

Bill
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Super short wheelbase?? Was the push on power?? Where was your shock location on front arm??
Front shock one hole in on tower. pushed on power. Remember, the track conditions changed very dramatically, so what worked an hour ago often didn't work later. The track temp was 130f in the heat, then after the rain when it was cool, it was 60f. I ran 17lb front and rear with copper sways both at night and it was squirly with too much steering- mainly cause of the back end being so unbalanced- that's why I ended up with the listed set up and I think that combo might have worked better when it was warmer, although even better super stiff when it got hot= around 22 lbs which is where we were when practice was over and the track hot.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
What changes do you think I should make to the setup I posted? I'm not going back to that track anytime soon but i'd be curious to see what changes you would make and test them on my home track.
James, he has no idea what track conditions we went threw and the tires we were running...You did a great job and you had the best corally out there.... GOOD JOB
Old 05-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi guys i am new to on road and have just bought a second hand but new phi eu spec.

I will be running this on carpet though.
should i get the chassis stiffner and the thicker top deck to run on carpet?

dont want to go though all the pages so i was wondering what would be a good starting setup for carpet. I have all diff options for the front, Diff, oneway, spool.

foam or rubber tyres?

general setup: camber, caster, shocks etc etc.

thanks in advance

peter
Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boadazofa
Hi guys i am new to on road and have just bought a second hand but new phi eu spec.

I will be running this on carpet though.
should i get the chassis stiffner and the thicker top deck to run on carpet?

dont want to go though all the pages so i was wondering what would be a good starting setup for carpet. I have all diff options for the front, Diff, oneway, spool.

foam or rubber tyres?

general setup: camber, caster, shocks etc etc.

thanks in advance

peter
Depends on what you choose to run. With foams, you will want to go stiff upper and lower with diff up front. Set ups are completely different with rubber. With rubber you'll want spool or one-way, thinner chassis and upper deck, different springs, etc. etc. You'll have to decide foam or rubber up front first.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King of B Main
James, he has no idea what track conditions we went threw and the tires we were running...You did a great job and you had the best corally out there.... GOOD JOB
i second that..not that i was there... but i have talked to a couple of my buddies that went and they said the track changed in crazy amounts at a time.. and thats all ive ever seen anyone talk about as well.. So congrats James...

-DC-
Old 06-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Originally Posted by smitty2802
i second that..not that i was there... but i have talked to a couple of my buddies that went and they said the track changed in crazy amounts at a time.. and thats all ive ever seen anyone talk about as well.. So congrats James...

-DC-
God forbid a team guy tries to point you in the right direction..........I sat down for 2 hours and talked to an invite driver about track conditions and setup changes. Everything I posted applies to those conditions.

I can tell you none of the invite guys went crazy on springs (certainly not 8 lbs change)Why is that........do they not know what they are doing???

Corally collectively got their ass's kicked at this race............is it because the car is no good..........hell no, its won everywhere else.................its because nobody nailed the setup.

Take my advice for what it is..........ADVICE............if you don't want to listen thats fine with me..............but do not try and tell me I don't know what i'm talking about, I did my research before posting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.