Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Phi

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickM
I'm selling my Cyclones cause I can't stand the diffs in them, and have already ordered my Phi based in no small part on the fact that it won't be breaking diff screws! Please tell me I haven't made an expensive error in judgement. What is wrong with the standard diff?
http://www.redrc.net/2008/04/hb-pro-...-complete-set/
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Alright, no need to get all worked up hahaha.

James and I were discussing things about the diffs and he had been fiddling around with ideas and he got a ta05 diff to drop in.

The curious guy I am, decided to try it out for myself. Now, the Phi diff works great, but you just have to babysit it a bit. Some people liek to use the normal bearing for a thrust bearing trick, but I hated how the diff performed with that setup instead of a typical thrust bearing. In order for it to not slip, the diff had to be retarded tight so it never worked all that hot. The plain stock phi diff with carbide diff balls was great. That is... untill you got junk in the thrust bearing. After you clean it up it's fine. So the key thing for me was just keeping it clean.

The ta05 diff just lasts a little longer since the thrust is enclosed in the outdrive. I haven't noticed any performance differences. I haven't had any problems with it changing settings either.

Other things I've been trying since we're on the subject. So... now that we have these cool narrowed steering blocks I've been running those. I've also been dremeling out the rear arms a bit so I can use them up front.

Why you may ask?

Well, the rear arms as you know have two different positions for the rear hub. With the optional rear hub 79299 you can run the outer hole without changing the width of the car, effectively lengthening the suspension arm.

So with this idea in mind, I dremeled out the rear arms so I could fit the front steering block/c hub assembly in there on the outer hole. In order for this to work without making the front of thr car crazy wide, I had to use the new narrow steering blocks, the axle and driveshaft that is required for those, and some narrow hex adapters. But, in the end, I basically lengthened the suspension arms front and rear. This resulted in more mechanical grip for rubber tire racing

I've also been messing with the super short wheelbase (the different set of holes for the rear clamps). It seemed to work really good on my home track (Seattle Indoor Raceway). It's a very small and tight carpet track (we put carpet on top of the asphalt...). Anyway, it;s been working pretty good. It just really helps with low speed, very technical tracks if you're running a spool.

-Korey
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Diff

Korey, the first thing I noticed on the car was the exposure of the thrust bearing with the stock diff and it was driving me nuts how fast it would collect dust. My simple solution is to get some of those really long skinny balloons that they make balloon animals out of and cut it to the length of the diff between the gear and bulkhead, using the rolled lip part of the balloon, it will roll over the exposed part of the diff and keep the dust out, it doesn't create any drag and if you have to adjust your diff, just roll it back, adjust and seal it back up. Its sort of a variation of the old way a guy used to cover his off road shocks.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Thats a good tip, probably something I should try here soon.

-Korey
Old 04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickM
I'm selling my Cyclones cause I can't stand the diffs in them, and have already ordered my Phi based in no small part on the fact that it won't be breaking diff screws! Please tell me I haven't made an expensive error in judgement. What is wrong with the standard diff?
Dude, I've struggled like crazy to get my phi to turn. Stick with the cyclone. Just buy the new pro diff...problem solved. It's only 45 for a complete diff with ceramic balls. Just my opinion
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
Dude, I've struggled like crazy to get my phi to turn. Stick with the cyclone. Just buy the new pro diff...problem solved. It's only 45 for a complete diff with ceramic balls. Just my opinion
I'm sorry to hear your struggling with your phi...........If you post your setup i'm sure somebody can help you out.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

I have and a number of people made suggestions on things to do that helped some but still not enough. I really appreciated their help but it was taking to much effort to get it to work for me. It worked well for me when traction was really high, but not so good on medium to low traction tracks which is what I race on most of the time
Old 04-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

I've never had a problem making a phi turn... Typically the problem is making it not turn :-)

Last edited by smoke81; 04-16-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smoke81
I've never had a problem making a phi not turn... Typically the problem is making it not turn :-)
WTF are you talking about, exactly? :-D
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
WTF are you talking about, exactly? :-D
Bah go play with your rice cake and leave us alone :P
Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Dotman- I will PM you my current setup. We run on alot of low bite dusty tracks around my area. It works pretty well...

I have let many drive my car and not one of them has told me they felt it needed more steering.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

imprsme, what is the setup for? Rubber/foam/asphalt/carpet. Just curious.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
imprsme, what is the setup for? Rubber/foam/asphalt/carpet. Just curious.
Sorry, its an asphalt rubber tire set-up.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by imprsme
Dotman- I will PM you my current setup. We run on alot of low bite dusty tracks around my area. It works pretty well...

I have let many drive my car and not one of them has told me they felt it needed more steering.
Got your PM and Pm'd you back. Thanks for the setup...I'll give it a try
Old 04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

has anyone tried a SMC 4000 or 5000 lipo pack in a rubber spec phi?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.