Wiki Posts
Search

coolest battery explosion ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
OK, well I am not going to argue with you about it. I wasn't even there so I don't have any idea...

I would just think if it was able to penetrate the wood to that extent, the whole cell would have gone through; leaving a hole.
So, did it do that, and did somebody put the cell pack into the hole half way?
The cell in the picture was put there by the explosion...No one touched it...In fact it's still in the wall now. The only thing that stopped it was the outside metal on the trailer. There is an almost perfect circle on the outside metal where the case of the cell hit it.

EA
Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

wow i am very glad to know that nobody was injured...i looked at that pic and it was really hard to believe
Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by PerformanceRC
New weapon of choice, 4200mah 10 amp shotgun
I loled

Originally Posted by tonyp126
I call bull$hit. No way a battery is going to accelerate like that, perfectly straight into the middle of that wood strip. They explode like a firecracker, I've seen them. Nice try though.
The hole in my garage wall disagrees with you. That was a 1500mAh NiCd left to overcharge and it nearly punched clean through after taking a deflection off my dad's engine bay. That was when I was a youngun many years ago, and I've always treated batteries with due respect after that. I'm definitely hesistant to go lipo.

From an action/reaction POV, it's more than possible, depending on which cell it is that blows, and how it blows.

It's real, for sure.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:18 PM
SJP
Tech Adept

Well, we had a cell on the weekend go orbital. I'm sure this one would have gone right through that wall.

The charge rate was only 6amp, 3/4 of the way through charge one cell started to vent. The pack was put on the ground and after venting for 10 to 15 seconds, cell No. 2 exploded and shot the cell case the width of a doubles tennis court with a huuuuggge bang.

By looks of it, one cell was not being discharged on a mates tray.
After the explosion we put a second pack that he had discharged and ready for charging on my CTX-D2 and we found cell two discharged for 245 sec were the others dropped out at 4-5 seconds. This was our judgement why the cell overheated.

I think this make the new generation dischargers (CTX-D ect) showing individual voltages a safer way too go.
Definately scared the sh#t out of me.

Cheers
Scott
Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey PerformanceRC I’m coming in riot gear lol

I have projected a little sewing needle into a solid brick wall with 4 caps out of a toy cap gun I had to use pliers to get it out.

So my guess if the circumstances where right then it DID happen I have fiddled around with ballistics since I first got my hands on a cap gun at a show when I was a little kid.
As was stated earlier that a tornado can jam a piece of straw into a tree with no problems at all

Is there any more good photos of it?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Very possible

Basically the internal pressure in the cell will rise very quickly when charging at 10amp once capacity is reached. All cells are designed to vent if excessive pressure from overcharging happens. However, this can only release so much gas over a given time. The easiest comparison is take a paper cup and poke a pencil hole in the bottom. Then poor a slow stream of water into it the water shouldn't build up to quickly. Now turn the water on a bit higher it should now begin filling the cup. Now imagine the battery is your cup the amps are the water and the hole represents the venting of built up gases. Once capacity is reached the pressure will rise faster that the cell can vent off excess gas. So basically it all comes down to point of failure. I've seen the left overs of cells that had the side wall blow out. I've also seen cells that blew the bottom or the top of the cell off. It just comes down to what gives first and generally something will give.

Now as far as charging at 10 or even higher rates it's not that big a deal. With the larger cells we have today your just filling the glass faster and alot of my buddies swear by the extra rip they get. Just remember at 10+ amps it's easier to over fill you glass and by all means make sure to equalize your cells before engaging in high amp charging.