Community
Wiki Posts
Search

coolest battery explosion ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Holy Crap...!

Got to add Kevlar Vest and Helmet as stardard race eequipment soon...
Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Holy crap!!! Did this happen at the Henderson TN race this weekend. I came sunday and watched the main. I didn't realize I was in danger!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I didn't know they made round lipos now. Is it just me or does it look like a normal cell? Good thing it missed his cheap radio lol.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

NIMH should be banned from use, as they pose a imminent threat to our safety. Intelligence sources have reported meetings between agents of NIMH and Iran, Iran has long been trying to acquire WBD's and Iran has decided not to comply with ROAR's inspectors to show the world that they have no WBD's. So I have gathered a international coalition of the willing to deal with this threat. We cannot forget the events of the Carpet oval nats. There is still time for Iran to do the right thing and turn over its weapons of battery destruction, otherwise, coalition forces stand ready to invade Iran on Tuesday. God Bless America.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

They should ban idiots first.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
I am in dis belief of this.

What did the cell push against to get itself into the wall.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Also, I charge at 10 amps very frequently, not saying its a good thing to do. I NEVER let the cells peak at that current. Only when I am late for a race and trying to get some Mah in them.

I have heard of cells blowing up though, so I know it can happen, and I understand it is VERY loud!!

The NEW M80!!
Its a red cell IP 3800...you can see the matching lable on the cell, and the red outer ring..

It is very common in oval racing to charge at 10 amps or higher at nation events for the mains.. The added punch up front helps alot if the car is good..

I have seen John foister owner of BSR , have two turbo's hooked up at 12 amps each to charge his packs.. ask anyone he has massive amounts of rip. If it is done properly, it will have great results.. as EA said attention is key...

If the peak detect was set at .02 or .03 like it should have been it wouldnt have done it..

maybe it was in a groove of the rack, and when it blew it rested against the rack.. I wasnt there, but a few of my friends were, they said it was nuts..

I wonder if the damage is covered under his homeowners insurance,,

Last edited by burbs; 08-16-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

carpetwars over @ winter time last year
i know of some racers charging @ 8a-9a on there GP37`s in 27t

so even the experienced racers who should know better do it (silly Bunt`s)
Old 08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Apparently some people were charging at 12A and peaking at 24A at the LRP masters touring car race a couple of years ago. They were only using their packs 2 or 3 times before binning them
Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
SPC

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
One thing a lot of you guys are missing is that IF someone would have been sitting there it would NOT HAVE HAPPENED!! They would have heard the cell Vent or smelled it getting hot and been able to take it OFF THE CHARGER and prevent this!!

This is why all battery chargers, batteries, etc come with a warning... DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNATTENDED WHILE IN USE!!

EA
100% correct! Best advice I've seen all day.
10-Amp charge? What was the person thinking? He's very lucky he didn't kill someone!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

if your not charging at 10amps and over in a spec class at a national event your going to be slow.

Late,

Kyle Bergstrom
Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Adept

I call bull$hit. No way a battery is going to accelerate like that, perfectly straight into the middle of that wood strip. They explode like a firecracker, I've seen them. Nice try though.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burbs
Its a red cell IP 3800...you can see the matching lable on the cell, and the red outer ring..

It is very common in oval racing to charge at 10 amps or higher at nation events for the mains.. The added punch up front helps alot if the car is good..

I have seen John foister owner of BSR , have two turbo's hooked up at 12 amps each to charge his packs.. ask anyone he has massive amounts of rip. If it is done properly, it will have great results.. as EA said attention is key...

If the peak detect was set at .02 or .03 like it should have been it wouldnt have done it..

maybe it was in a groove of the rack, and when it blew it rested against the rack.. I wasnt there, but a few of my friends were, they said it was nuts..

I wonder if the damage is covered under his homeowners insurance,,
Like I said, I have heard of folks blowing up packs around here. THey said it was VERY loud.

But, as others have stated, I regularly charge at 10 amps. Usually when I am behind on the charge for it to finish in time for a race. But I NEVER EVER let the pack reach a peak at this amperage. If I find I have made up the charge or there was a delay, I always reduce the amperage back down to 6 for it to peak at.

I honestly don't think there is any harm in charging at high amp rates as long as the cells don't PEAK at that charge rate. I have been doing this to IB3800 for months. The packs are starting to fall off just a bit, but I don't think the degredation has been noticable accellerated by high amp charging. I am not recommending to ANY ONE to charge at high amp rates. But if you know what you are doing, and are closely monitoring the charge and temp, I believe high amp charge rates can be very beneficial to your racing.

I have also always noticed a considerable increase in rip when charged at 10 -vs- 6 amps.
For mod, though, I charge at 5-6. I think it gets more into the pack, and since you are having a bit less rip, the runtime is higher since you are putting out basically less power per given amount of time.
my $.02
Old 08-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kyle478
if your not charging at 10amps and over in a spec class at a national event your going to be slow.

Late,

Kyle Bergstrom
BS....Charging higher does nothing but create more heat with little effects on have the battery runs. It might be a tick better up front but fall off a LOT more the last minute or so. No advantage.

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyp126
I call bull$hit. No way a battery is going to accelerate like that, perfectly straight into the middle of that wood strip. They explode like a firecracker, I've seen them. Nice try though.
Hey Tony,

I was there...I saw the battery. Thats how it ended up. There are probably 30 guys that got pics of it. No BS'ing of those pics!

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonyp126
You lose on the B$ call. Verified by several drivers attending the event, notably drivers and people that I tend to trust on the site. EA, ts, etc. I highly doubt this was a photochopped image.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.