Wiki Posts
Search

coolest battery explosion ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SPC
100% correct! Best advice I've seen all day.
10-Amp charge? What was the person thinking? He's very lucky he didn't kill someone!
Hi Tom,

In all Fairness to the person who had this happen he was using a charger that he hadnt used in a long time. It was setup for 6 cell 3300 batteries he said. Thats the reason it had a peak detect at .05. Not sure about why he charges those at 10 amps though.

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Hey Tony,

I was there...I saw the battery. Thats how it ended up. There are probably 30 guys that got pics of it. No BS'ing of those pics!

EA
I'm not saying it was photoshopped in there, I'm saying it was hammered in there and photographed later. I just don't buy it.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by tonyp126
I'm not saying it was photoshopped in there, I'm saying it was hammered in there and photographed later. I just don't buy it.
Say what you want.....there were a big whopping 79 entries at the race and EVERYONE went to see it as soon as we heard what it was.

Do you actually thing the hull of a cell would hold up to a hammer without denting the crap out of it? There's even a ring on the outside of the trailer where it came through both layers of wood!!

Kinda like a piece of straw going through a tree in a tornando..it CAN do it!!

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
PW
Tech Elite

What did the cell push against to get itself into the wall.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
It's cool that you think it's bogus, but are you serious with this quote Maybe I'm missing the the part when they back up the plane (jet) to a wall just before take-off

In this case: The combustion produces hot exhaust which is passed through a nozzle (cell can) to accelerate the flow and produce thrust....Lets send it to MythBusters

Last edited by PW; 08-16-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

BS....Charging higher does nothing but create more heat with little effects on have the battery runs. It might be a tick better up front but fall off a LOT more the last minute or so. No advantage.

EA

I have personally seen a increase in power when i charge at higher amps

back to back packs charged at 6amps then 10.......

How is it not a advantage when your running a spec class?

If the 10 amp pack gets me up to the front then i have a advantage.

I can understand not having a advantage with a higher amp draw motor

Go Lipo

late

Kyle Bergstrom
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PW
It's cool that you think it's bogus, but are you serious with this quote Maybe I'm missing the the part when they back up the plane (jet) to a wall just before take-off

In this case: The combustion produces hot exhaust which is passed through a nozzle (cell can) to accelerate the flow and produce thrust....Lets send it to MythBusters
huh?
Well at least you know its a quote...

There is no need to back a plane up to a wall in the sense of gaining extra thrust. I am pretty sure they do that to, uh, like keep things from getting blown away. Like peple off a flight deck. THe engine is pushing against AIR.

What I was saying that in order to accellerate that particular cell to a high enough velocity to penetrate the wall, something else would have had to move, unless they had the pack up against a brick or something. You know, like when you shoot a gun, and the gun kicks.

Common mis-conception: if you set off a shell (bullet) that is NOT in a gun, the bullet can fly and hit something.
Reality: The casing would fly off, but the lead wouldn't move as much.It has much more mass. Myth bust that.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

BS....Charging higher does nothing but create more heat with little effects on have the battery runs. It might be a tick better up front but fall off a LOT more the last minute or so. No advantage.

EA
WRONG!
Its a huge advantage if you can put your car on the track with enough power to finish the race, versus charging at a lower amp rate and if you were late you end up dumping and not finishing... because your pack wasn't charged enough.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Team EAM

Well thats true there....I have charged packs harder to get them to finish in time to make a heat or main but I dont charge at 10 amps because I "think" it will give me a better running battery....

Hell I hope everyone starts charging at 10 amps....I'll sell more battery packs!!

Ive raced long enough and tested enough to know better!! In the end everyone has their own method of charging and on theorys on what works best. It all boils down to driver in the end anyway.

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

True true.

Thats all I was saying is that is the only time I ever charge that high.
But again, I never peak at that current rate.

So, I have a question though.

I had previously read on the GP website that the GP3300 can handle a 2-3C charge safely(don't remember if it was 2 or 3). That would be 6.6 or 9.9 amps. It also said it could basically charge continously at 1c and disipate the energy (safely) as heat, so 3.3 amps.

If IB's are similar and they can handle a 2C charge, then couldn't you safely charge 4200's at 8.4 amps?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by PitCrew
True true.

Thats all I was saying is that is the only time I ever charge that high.
But again, I never peak at that current rate.

So, I have a question though.

I had previously read on the GP website that the GP3300 can handle a 2-3C charge safely(don't remember if it was 2 or 3). That would be 6.6 or 9.9 amps. It also said it could basically charge continously at 1c and disipate the energy (safely) as heat, so 3.3 amps.

If IB's are similar and they can handle a 2C charge, then couldn't you safely charge 4200's at 8.4 amps?
Its to my understanding that the internal structure of an IB cell is completely different than other Nimh cells....Although I have never seen the inside of them so I do not know for sure. I think it can handle the charge rate as long as you dont get it to hot. Heat is what causes the cells to vent as you know. To much heat and not being able to vent pressure fast enough is what cause's them to explode. I usually charge at 7 amps for stock and mod. To me it's just easier to calculate the charge time and I havent found any ill effects at that rate. I still have some of my packs from the snowbirds....granted they are now practice packs as the original numbers are no where near what the newer stuff is.

EA
Old 08-16-2006, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So the cell or cells next to it exploded and the energy blasted that cell into the wall. Is this pretty much what happened.WOW thats something. I think I would rather be somewhere else than being in range when my cells are charging. he he I'll just play it safe and charge at 5amps .
mike
Old 08-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

I would not recomend to anyone to charge at anything over 6.... Now to get MY charge rate i take the recommended charge amps and multiply that by 2.

My regular charging method is to charge it at 6 amps and when i realize im not going to make it in time for the next heat i bump it to twelve.

At this years reedy race for all heats quals and mains i charged my packs at 12 amps on a fan. The motor I had sucked so i charged at 12. I might be wrong but I think this helped out tons.

I cant wait to use my new brushless system and some 40C discharge lipos.

Later

Kyle Bergstrom
Old 08-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tonyp126
I call bull$hit. No way a battery is going to accelerate like that, perfectly straight into the middle of that wood strip. They explode like a firecracker, I've seen them. Nice try though.
I was there very close by and heard the explosion and ran over to see what had happened probably one of the first ones to see it.It's real,I've got pics of it also,along with the car that was totaled later that day in a practice run when a car spun and stopped right in the groove,OUCH!!!!! it was very painful to see.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitCrew
huh?
Well at least you know its a quote...

There is no need to back a plane up to a wall in the sense of gaining extra thrust. I am pretty sure they do that to, uh, like keep things from getting blown away. Like peple off a flight deck. THe engine is pushing against AIR.

What I was saying that in order to accellerate that particular cell to a high enough velocity to penetrate the wall, something else would have had to move, unless they had the pack up against a brick or something. You know, like when you shoot a gun, and the gun kicks.

Common mis-conception: if you set off a shell (bullet) that is NOT in a gun, the bullet can fly and hit something.
Reality: The casing would fly off, but the lead wouldn't move as much.It has much more mass. Myth bust that.
Pit,

Fired rounds from a gun are essentially a controlled micro explosion, using a chamber to control the explosion and allowing the gun to function or cycle. While using a barrel to accurately shoot a projectile, i.e. actual round.

What happened to the battery is an uncontrolled explosion of battery cells, in which anything could happen. You’re not exactly correct on your thinking about setting off rounds without a gun. Normally, casings will split and blow out, the round can still travel but with less velocity, and sometimes, rounds will travel with higher velocity with little to no case splitting...so those pics are probably real, anything can happen during a uncontrolled explosion.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Doug D
Pit,

Fired rounds from a gun are essentially a controlled micro explosion, using a chamber to control the explosion and allowing the gun to function or cycle. While using a barrel to accurately shoot a projectile, i.e. actual round.

What happened to the battery is an uncontrolled explosion of battery cells, in which anything could happen. You’re not exactly correct on your thinking about setting off rounds without a gun. Normally, casings will split and blow out, the round can still travel but with less velocity, and sometimes, rounds will travel with higher velocity with little to no case splitting...so those pics are probably real, anything can happen during a uncontrolled explosion.
OK, well I am not going to argue with you about it. I wasn't even there so I don't have any idea...

I would just think if it was able to penetrate the wood to that extent, the whole cell would have gone through; leaving a hole.
So, did it do that, and did somebody put the cell pack into the hole half way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.