R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #46
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPC
100% correct! Best advice I've seen all day.
10-Amp charge? What was the person thinking? He's very lucky he didn't kill someone!
Hi Tom,

In all Fairness to the person who had this happen he was using a charger that he hadnt used in a long time. It was setup for 6 cell 3300 batteries he said. Thats the reason it had a peak detect at .05. Not sure about why he charges those at 10 amps though.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #47
Tech Adept
 
tonyp126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 224
Send a message via AIM to tonyp126 Send a message via Yahoo to tonyp126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Hey Tony,

I was there...I saw the battery. Thats how it ended up. There are probably 30 guys that got pics of it. No BS'ing of those pics!

EA
I'm not saying it was photoshopped in there, I'm saying it was hammered in there and photographed later. I just don't buy it.
__________________
Team Schumacher • EA Motorsports • Team Trinity/TRC • TQ Cells • P-DUB • HDimaging.net
tonyp126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #48
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp126
I'm not saying it was photoshopped in there, I'm saying it was hammered in there and photographed later. I just don't buy it.
Say what you want.....there were a big whopping 79 entries at the race and EVERYONE went to see it as soon as we heard what it was.

Do you actually thing the hull of a cell would hold up to a hammer without denting the crap out of it? There's even a ring on the outside of the trailer where it came through both layers of wood!!

Kinda like a piece of straw going through a tree in a tornando..it CAN do it!!

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #49
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,393
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
What did the cell push against to get itself into the wall.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
It's cool that you think it's bogus, but are you serious with this quote Maybe I'm missing the the part when they back up the plane (jet) to a wall just before take-off

In this case: The combustion produces hot exhaust which is passed through a nozzle (cell can) to accelerate the flow and produce thrust....Lets send it to MythBusters
__________________
Paul Wynn

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"

Last edited by PW; 08-16-2006 at 03:49 PM.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #50
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 466
Send a message via AIM to kyle478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
BS....Charging higher does nothing but create more heat with little effects on have the battery runs. It might be a tick better up front but fall off a LOT more the last minute or so. No advantage.

EA

I have personally seen a increase in power when i charge at higher amps

back to back packs charged at 6amps then 10.......

How is it not a advantage when your running a spec class?

If the 10 amp pack gets me up to the front then i have a advantage.

I can understand not having a advantage with a higher amp draw motor

Go Lipo

late


Kyle Bergstrom
kyle478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #51
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW
It's cool that you think it's bogus, but are you serious with this quote Maybe I'm missing the the part when they back up the plane (jet) to a wall just before take-off

In this case: The combustion produces hot exhaust which is passed through a nozzle (cell can) to accelerate the flow and produce thrust....Lets send it to MythBusters
huh?
Well at least you know its a quote...

There is no need to back a plane up to a wall in the sense of gaining extra thrust. I am pretty sure they do that to, uh, like keep things from getting blown away. Like peple off a flight deck. THe engine is pushing against AIR.

What I was saying that in order to accellerate that particular cell to a high enough velocity to penetrate the wall, something else would have had to move, unless they had the pack up against a brick or something. You know, like when you shoot a gun, and the gun kicks.

Common mis-conception: if you set off a shell (bullet) that is NOT in a gun, the bullet can fly and hit something.
Reality: The casing would fly off, but the lead wouldn't move as much.It has much more mass. Myth bust that.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 PM   #52
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
BS....Charging higher does nothing but create more heat with little effects on have the battery runs. It might be a tick better up front but fall off a LOT more the last minute or so. No advantage.

EA
WRONG!
Its a huge advantage if you can put your car on the track with enough power to finish the race, versus charging at a lower amp rate and if you were late you end up dumping and not finishing... because your pack wasn't charged enough.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #53
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Well thats true there....I have charged packs harder to get them to finish in time to make a heat or main but I dont charge at 10 amps because I "think" it will give me a better running battery....

Hell I hope everyone starts charging at 10 amps....I'll sell more battery packs!!

Ive raced long enough and tested enough to know better!! In the end everyone has their own method of charging and on theorys on what works best. It all boils down to driver in the end anyway.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #54
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

True true.

Thats all I was saying is that is the only time I ever charge that high.
But again, I never peak at that current rate.

So, I have a question though.

I had previously read on the GP website that the GP3300 can handle a 2-3C charge safely(don't remember if it was 2 or 3). That would be 6.6 or 9.9 amps. It also said it could basically charge continously at 1c and disipate the energy (safely) as heat, so 3.3 amps.

If IB's are similar and they can handle a 2C charge, then couldn't you safely charge 4200's at 8.4 amps?
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #55
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
True true.

Thats all I was saying is that is the only time I ever charge that high.
But again, I never peak at that current rate.

So, I have a question though.

I had previously read on the GP website that the GP3300 can handle a 2-3C charge safely(don't remember if it was 2 or 3). That would be 6.6 or 9.9 amps. It also said it could basically charge continously at 1c and disipate the energy (safely) as heat, so 3.3 amps.

If IB's are similar and they can handle a 2C charge, then couldn't you safely charge 4200's at 8.4 amps?
Its to my understanding that the internal structure of an IB cell is completely different than other Nimh cells....Although I have never seen the inside of them so I do not know for sure. I think it can handle the charge rate as long as you dont get it to hot. Heat is what causes the cells to vent as you know. To much heat and not being able to vent pressure fast enough is what cause's them to explode. I usually charge at 7 amps for stock and mod. To me it's just easier to calculate the charge time and I havent found any ill effects at that rate. I still have some of my packs from the snowbirds....granted they are now practice packs as the original numbers are no where near what the newer stuff is.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #56
Tech Master
 
whynot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

So the cell or cells next to it exploded and the energy blasted that cell into the wall. Is this pretty much what happened.WOW thats something. I think I would rather be somewhere else than being in range when my cells are charging. he he I'll just play it safe and charge at 5amps .
mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #57
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 466
Send a message via AIM to kyle478
Default

I would not recomend to anyone to charge at anything over 6.... Now to get MY charge rate i take the recommended charge amps and multiply that by 2.


My regular charging method is to charge it at 6 amps and when i realize im not going to make it in time for the next heat i bump it to twelve.

At this years reedy race for all heats quals and mains i charged my packs at 12 amps on a fan. The motor I had sucked so i charged at 12. I might be wrong but I think this helped out tons.

I cant wait to use my new brushless system and some 40C discharge lipos.


Later


Kyle Bergstrom
kyle478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:42 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp126
I call bull$hit. No way a battery is going to accelerate like that, perfectly straight into the middle of that wood strip. They explode like a firecracker, I've seen them. Nice try though.
I was there very close by and heard the explosion and ran over to see what had happened probably one of the first ones to see it.It's real,I've got pics of it also,along with the car that was totaled later that day in a practice run when a car spun and stopped right in the groove,OUCH!!!!! it was very painful to see.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #59
Tech Master
 
Doug D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,490
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitCrew
huh?
Well at least you know its a quote...

There is no need to back a plane up to a wall in the sense of gaining extra thrust. I am pretty sure they do that to, uh, like keep things from getting blown away. Like peple off a flight deck. THe engine is pushing against AIR.

What I was saying that in order to accellerate that particular cell to a high enough velocity to penetrate the wall, something else would have had to move, unless they had the pack up against a brick or something. You know, like when you shoot a gun, and the gun kicks.

Common mis-conception: if you set off a shell (bullet) that is NOT in a gun, the bullet can fly and hit something.
Reality: The casing would fly off, but the lead wouldn't move as much.It has much more mass. Myth bust that.
Pit,

Fired rounds from a gun are essentially a controlled micro explosion, using a chamber to control the explosion and allowing the gun to function or cycle. While using a barrel to accurately shoot a projectile, i.e. actual round.

What happened to the battery is an uncontrolled explosion of battery cells, in which anything could happen. You’re not exactly correct on your thinking about setting off rounds without a gun. Normally, casings will split and blow out, the round can still travel but with less velocity, and sometimes, rounds will travel with higher velocity with little to no case splitting...so those pics are probably real, anything can happen during a uncontrolled explosion.
Doug D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #60
Tech Elite
 
PitCrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle Indoor Raceway
Posts: 2,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D
Pit,

Fired rounds from a gun are essentially a controlled micro explosion, using a chamber to control the explosion and allowing the gun to function or cycle. While using a barrel to accurately shoot a projectile, i.e. actual round.

What happened to the battery is an uncontrolled explosion of battery cells, in which anything could happen. You’re not exactly correct on your thinking about setting off rounds without a gun. Normally, casings will split and blow out, the round can still travel but with less velocity, and sometimes, rounds will travel with higher velocity with little to no case splitting...so those pics are probably real, anything can happen during a uncontrolled explosion.
OK, well I am not going to argue with you about it. I wasn't even there so I don't have any idea...

I would just think if it was able to penetrate the wood to that extent, the whole cell would have gone through; leaving a hole.
So, did it do that, and did somebody put the cell pack into the hole half way?
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
battery pack explosion joe of loath Chat Lounge 14 06-02-2007 04:53 PM
what fuel runs the coolest? corvettecrazy Electric Off-Road 6 10-12-2003 09:21 AM
coolest looking alloy? keithander Electric On-Road 54 07-09-2003 04:31 PM
The coolest TC3 ever, LOOK! stefan R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 05-07-2002 01:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:30 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net