Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Viva La Losi!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Which of the setups have you guys been running on outdoor tarmac/asphalt on rubber tyres? I've seen Schreff's and Hodge's Ripon ones mentioned a few times on here.

Also there have been no rumours of a replacement knocking around I hope? I think its time for a new Type R as mines well over a year old now (not sure how many original parts there are on it now!). I don't want to get a new one and then discover the impending release of a new one!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Replace what you got wearing out!........ Doesn't look like this car is going anytime soon!

Happy Racing!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Heh.... time for an update with the one-way on a tight carpet track with no traction compound... Hard to drive doesn't even cut it... I am sure that if time is spent refining the setup, it will be all worthwhile... but for now, sticking with a looser diff up front to get me by.

On a larger track with less sharp corners it will be ideal. Was getting way too much turn in, but drive out of corners was awesome! Its probably got a lot to do with my driving style too...

Will be heading outdoors for some rubber on tarmac action in a week or so, and will try it there!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Heh.... time for an update with the one-way on a tight carpet track with no traction compound... Hard to drive doesn't even cut it... I am sure that if time is spent refining the setup, it will be all worthwhile... but for now, sticking with a looser diff up front to get me by.

On a larger track with less sharp corners it will be ideal. Was getting way too much turn in, but drive out of corners was awesome! Its probably got a lot to do with my driving style too...

Will be heading outdoors for some rubber on tarmac action in a week or so, and will try it there!
A one way with no compound equals way too much rotation. If you get a chance to run the one way with compound you will be a lot happier. IMHO.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mojoman
A one way with no compound equals way too much rotation. If you get a chance to run the one way with compound you will be a lot happier. IMHO.
Yes... I think that will work a lot better.

Anyway, another question for all - I am running at the top 3 in the class that I am in, and am looking for that last 0.3-0.5 secs per lap to get in front. At the last Winter Champs, I finished 2nd, 4 secs behind the leader at the end of 5 mins. Consistency in that race was around 0.35-0.5, but wasn't enough.

More about myself first - I am a very conservative tuner. I generally find what works, and very rarely stray away from it. I might make a few small changes here and there, but nothing too serious as we only have a very short period of time between rounds. So as a result, major changes are usually out of the question...

Back to the car... Its handling quick good at the moment, but I know there is more in it. What I am after is to get the car to be surefooted but still nimble, being able to drive within a couple of inches of the line. I think I am 90% there, and I know I am lacking a bit of corner speed.

I have attached my setup sheet, and if anyone has an opinion on it, please voice it out. Also, we are running on Ozite with no traction compound...

Thanks in advance again! This thread has been a lot of good reading for me!
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS Type-R-jrxs-r-2008winterchamps-precc.jpg  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I "Think" your best bet might be to go with a one-way up front instead of the ball diff. As well as mess with your gearing. It seems kind of weird to me actually since most on this PEOPLE USING THE 13.5 are running a 108 to 118 spur but your running a 92 with a small size pinion. For the 13.5 motors the sweet spot is between 4.2 and 5.0 I believe. Increase your pinion size.

Last edited by dfiantii; 09-24-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Left out info
Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, that spur/pinion puts you at a 5.43 FDR. That is not even close to what you should run with a 13.5. If you have it try a 39t pinion which will get you at 4.32 FDR. That should put you in the middle of the range for that motor.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrxs-r
Yes... I think that will work a lot better.

Anyway, another question for all - I am running at the top 3 in the class that I am in, and am looking for that last 0.3-0.5 secs per lap to get in front. At the last Winter Champs, I finished 2nd, 4 secs behind the leader at the end of 5 mins. Consistency in that race was around 0.35-0.5, but wasn't enough.

More about myself first - I am a very conservative tuner. I generally find what works, and very rarely stray away from it. I might make a few small changes here and there, but nothing too serious as we only have a very short period of time between rounds. So as a result, major changes are usually out of the question...

Back to the car... Its handling quick good at the moment, but I know there is more in it. What I am after is to get the car to be surefooted but still nimble, being able to drive within a couple of inches of the line. I think I am 90% there, and I know I am lacking a bit of corner speed.

I have attached my setup sheet, and if anyone has an opinion on it, please voice it out. Also, we are running on Ozite with no traction compound...

Thanks in advance again! This thread has been a lot of good reading for me!
Replacing the JR link with a standard ballstud and link will get you some steering, you are running a few things that are pretty different. If you want to try the one way again I would change your rear shock position from inside to outside, are you actually running 4.5mm of droop? you shouldn't need more than 2mm. Also change the rear link to 4B, it's aslo pretty standard to run 2 washers under the ballstud on the steering knuckle, this will get the "bump toe" where it should be.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

hey guys i was just wondering if the parts have gotten any stronger from last year? i went to a race in january and the drivers could not complete runs and they werent your average drivers (peter robinson was one) have they gotten better?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the parts hold up just as well as other sedans, one thing that does help alot is the parma hard front bumper. Also when using narrow hexes up front its a good idea to trim the axle so it doesn't stick out past the nuts.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racing_jason
hey guys i was just wondering if the parts have gotten any stronger from last year? i went to a race in january and the drivers could not complete runs and they werent your average drivers (peter robinson was one) have they gotten better?
Depending on how far back last year it was, the original batch of arms were horrible. With updated arms Chubs are the next most common thing to break, but they take a lot of abuse. If you are running a "long" camber link in the rear you'll want to use a longer than stock turnbuckle as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racing_jason
Jason are you running the Type R now? Or is you dad? I have a ton of parts and will be at all the NWIC races except SIR's. Let me know if you need something. I have been running the car for about 7 months now and barely broken anything.

RedRocket
Anders Hagen
Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Was there a set up for foam tires from th IIC that was posted? Wanted to know if there are any new setup's out there. I already have the ones from last year. Gonna run Jaco Foams.

RedRocket
Old 09-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedRocketRacing
Was there a set up for foam tires from th IIC that was posted? Wanted to know if there are any new setup's out there. I already have the ones from last year. Gonna run Jaco Foams.

RedRocket
Yup, Mike H posted both his IIC setups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.