Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:16 AM
PDM
Tech Adept

I am glad this topic exists, because feedback@losi does not work. Sent an email with a technical question about the type R on March the 2nd and until now nothing.

I took my type-R for a nacional race for the first time. The type-R is great.

I am in the 9,5T brushless class using a GM-Evo3 motor that needs ratios between 4,0:1 and 6,0:1. I am using 48Pitch pinions and the longest relation that i could use was 4,57:1 with the 90T spur and 36T pinion. For that I had to "Dremel" the inner pivot block, a big part of it at the back of the motor.

I raced in a 1/8 scale track and my motor was not warm, I really could go longer on the ratio.

Is it time to ask Losi a smaller Spur gear, around 80T or so? Do you think they would do it? Is anybody else needing that too?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your best bet would be the PRS gear adapter. Should be @ $20 and lets you use any spur, although some spurs need to have the mounting holes opened up a little.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Your best bet would be the PRS gear adapter. Should be @ $20 and lets you use any spur, although some spurs need to have the mounting holes opened up a little.
I have the adapter too but I really dont see the advantage. The only spurs i could get to fit were spur that ended in 8 for exampl 98,108 etc. I tired to fit a 110 but it wouldnt fit. I tired 8 different spur gear manufacoters and none of the 110s would fit.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racingboy14
I have the adapter too but I really dont see the advantage. The only spurs i could get to fit were spur that ended in 8 for exampl 98,108 etc. I tired to fit a 110 but it wouldnt fit. I tired 8 different spur gear manufacoters and none of the 110s would fit.

I runn the PRS addaptor outdoors with RPS Gears,110x45 with my 13.5..No problems..

Pic Kevin posted for me..My computer is on the fritz so he downsized it to download. I will take a pic later if you wish of spur side if you send me e mail I can foward it to you.http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...2&d=1204506008

Last edited by John Tag; 03-08-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racingboy14
Hmm, I have not run into that problem. I run the inexpensive Kimbrough gears and have to open up the "diff ball" holes a little because I guess the prs bolt spacing is a little different, but otherwise the gears fit fine. I am sure that all of the prs gears will fit without issue, but for me the gears are very hard and I have problems breaking teeth off of them running a spool.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Hmm, I have not run into that problem. I run the inexpensive Kimbrough gears and have to open up the "diff ball" holes a little because I guess the prs bolt spacing is a little different, but otherwise the gears fit fine. I am sure that all of the prs gears will fit without issue, but for me the gears are very hard and I have problems breaking teeth off of them running a spool.
Interesting you say that for I run nothing but a spool in my rubber car and never stripped teeth off of a PRS gear. I did strip teeth how ever when I ran the same car with a one way. I have since replaced the center lay shaft out for the one from the old car. Thinking was there is flex in that machined shaft where as the old one is solid. I am hopin this will cure the problem. I have not been able to test it out since I have no carpet track here and we are not close to racing out doors yet.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

I have a friend who has some machine tools in his basement and I had him hollow out the layshaft on my old front motor car. I guess I should have kept that when I sold the car. Keep me up to date on whether or not you seem to think that the thicker layshaft helps with gear life. I would never have guessed that there would be enough inertia in the right side of the shaft for it to flex in a crash, but I have seen swiches shut them selves off so I guess anything is possible.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Xpress,
Are you running the new speedpassion esc? How do you like it? I am in the process of building my purchase list for Billy out at Speedworld and will be getting a type R here in another month or two and I could use some imput on the esc if you have it. Another thing is are there any parts to keep on hand that any of you guy/gals would recommend. Thanks for your help. I am doing the TT-01 to Losi Type R switch. This will be awesome.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfiantii
Xpress,
Are you running the new speedpassion esc? How do you like it? I am in the process of building my purchase list for Billy out at Speedworld and will be getting a type R here in another month or two and I could use some imput on the esc if you have it. Another thing is are there any parts to keep on hand that any of you guy/gals would recommend. Thanks for your help. I am doing the TT-01 to Losi Type R switch. This will be awesome.
i cant say much about the speed passion esc.i use the lrp sphere comp in mine.
but i can give ya heads up on parts that break on me all the time...
i have went thrue 4degree castor blocks....rear hubs.....and one front arm.

i have been racing this car everyweek...sometime 2 days a week...
these are the things i have broken...
Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I figured it out know, I didnt know I had to open up the holes so I will try that. I also was not using PRS spurs so that may be it aswell.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Does the Type R use metric or standard tools? I am looking to start building my tool set and stop using the L shaped tools.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Does the Type R use metric or standard tools? I am looking to start building my tool set and stop using the L shaped tools.
standard
Old 03-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Guy's Question, can you tell what all parts and part# I need to make a complete spool.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

You will also need a 7mm nut driver for the wheels.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

All the screws use standard allen wrenches, but the wheel nuts are metric. It is the common size. I don't have the wrench in front of me, but I think it is 7mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.