Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueEagle
I was wondering if any team drivers knew whether the new TC6 bulkheads were remotely close to production and/or whether they'd be a direct fit for the TC5.

I'm assuming that they'll be very similar to the current "UK" bulkheads being used on the TC5, but I'm assuming that a "mass-produced" part would cost less and be less hassle to obtain than the UK ones even if we didn't include the cost of labor.

I managed to bend my stock motor mount the last time I was out there. Since I need to replace something anyway, I'm trying to decide if I want to try and mod a stock motor mount/bulk head like someone did earlier in this thread, buy new bulkheads, or just buy another stock motor mount and run with it, as-is.
not even close TC6 to TC5. The newer bulkheads are universal on the front and back, while the TC5 has four different parts for the same, let alone the other things (motor mount, and those two alum braces for the rear)

TC6 has none of that, and will not fit on a TC5 chassis. Sorry

Oh bye the way - once you bend machined aluminum, throw it out. The metal just lost around an astonishing 60% of its strength.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dragnse7en
not even close TC6 to TC5. The newer bulkheads are universal on the front and back, while the TC5 has four different parts for the same, let alone the other things (motor mount, and those two alum braces for the rear)
None of what you said, really has anything to do with whether the bulkheads will be a direct fit on the rear of a TC5. I appreciate the thought, but I'm looking for official word from a team driver or someone who has seen one up close and compared them.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Suspended

None of what you said, really has anything to do with whether the bulkheads will be a direct fit on the rear of a TC5. I appreciate the thought, but I'm looking for official word from a team driver or someone who has seen one up close and compared them.
Yeah but if you read the article it said that the chassis is 13mm skinnier - we might be able to fit the TC6 bulkheads on the TC5 but how would the diff fit right then? I dunno. I doubt it but I'm not holding my breath. They just may have the exact same pilot holes for it and I will sit with TC5 diff spare going "duh"
Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Everything he said has to do with your question. Merely from an engenearing standpoint the bulkheads wont be compatable with the current design. There designed to be closer togeather and use a different diff since the current diff wont be narrow enough to fit between the narrower bulkheads. They also will use a different shock tower that if you widen the stance of the bulkheads to fit on the TC5 will not fit as it will itself be narower where it mounts.

Could you make it work? Sure, if you spent enough time working your own parts, shock tower, diff cams. But by then its just cheaper and easier to sell the TC5 and buy a TC6
Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Everything he said has to do with your question. Merely from an engenearing standpoint the bulkheads wont be compatable with the current design. There designed to be closer togeather and use a different diff since the current diff wont be narrow enough to fit between the narrower bulkheads. They also will use a different shock tower that if you widen the stance of the bulkheads to fit on the TC5 will not fit as it will itself be narower where it mounts.

Could you make it work? Sure, if you spent enough time working your own parts, shock tower, diff cams. But by then its just cheaper and easier to sell the TC5 and buy a TC6
true true - buying parts vs a kit. I hope its worth it b/c I'm already pursing money away for it. Only b/c I can't afford a TRF416 or X version even

Good point hoss - I thought about that too.

I think that the chassis screw holes would be the same to fit TC6 bulkheads, but then I would have to try my best to make it a TC6 drivetrain - which I bet would involve a dremel tool once or twice.

Again, good point. I'll wait for the kit and wait to see what TC5 parts fit AFTER I get the new kit.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Can someone explain to me what RWD Mount Shims are and were do they go? I do not understand what this is.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Can someone explain to me what RWD Mount Shims are and were do they go? I do not understand what this is.
They're different from the front shims. Use two medium size shims for the far end IIRC thats what the manual said if u wanna go w/ factory settings. Dble check but I know the shim spacers go wider in the back
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Oh - all the shims sit behind the arm mounts.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bvoltz
They're thin plastic pieces in 3 different thicknesses with a C opening on one end that snap onto the Arm Mount bolt between the bulkhead and arm mount. They're used for setting rear toe or widening the track width of the car.

Default rubber tire kit settings are 3 degrees of rear toe so you need to put the thinnest (1 degree) and thickest (2 degrees) arm mount shims on the 2 rear RWD arm mount bolts if you're using a 0 degree hub carrier in the rear. The RWD bolts are the ones closest to the back of the car.

If you're missing the TC5R/TC5F manual you can download it from here:
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/man...c5r_manual.pdf

The setup sheet at the end of the document has pictures of the shims and shows which locations are FWD and RWD.

Other miscellaneous TC5 downloads here:
http://67.199.85.166/resources/resou...?modelname=TC5
Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

I was wondering if any team drivers knew whether the new TC6 bulkheads were remotely close to production and/or whether they'd be a direct fit for the TC5.

I'm assuming that they'll be very similar to the current "UK" bulkheads being used on the TC5, but I'm assuming that a "mass-produced" part would cost less and be less hassle to obtain than the UK ones even if we didn't include the cost of labor.

I managed to bend my stock motor mount the last time I was out there. Since I need to replace something anyway, I'm trying to decide if I want to try and mod a stock motor mount/bulk head like someone did earlier in this thread, buy new bulkheads, or just buy another stock motor mount and run with it, as-is.
The new TC6 bulkheads will not fit the TC5.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The new TC6 bulkheads will not fit the TC5.
i seen pics on redrc.net they narrowed the driveline moved bulkheads in so the wont fit but the thing is sweet i like the fact that there is a drive belt on either side of the spur and that the bulkheads are abdectrious u can use same bulkhead on all four corners i will get one in october when they are released
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spongerX
They're thin plastic pieces in 3 different thicknesses with a C opening on one end that snap onto the Arm Mount bolt between the bulkhead and arm mount. They're used for setting rear toe or widening the track width of the car.

Default rubber tire kit settings are 3 degrees of rear toe so you need to put the thinnest (1 degree) and thickest (2 degrees) arm mount shims on the 2 rear RWD arm mount bolts if you're using a 0 degree hub carrier in the rear. The RWD bolts are the ones closest to the back of the car.

If you're missing the TC5R/TC5F manual you can download it from here:
http://aedownloads.com/downloads/man...c5r_manual.pdf

The setup sheet at the end of the document has pictures of the shims and shows which locations are FWD and RWD.

Other miscellaneous TC5 downloads here:
http://67.199.85.166/resources/resou...?modelname=TC5
Ok all this is the shims for rear toe in. But on the setup sheets, it shows rear toe in at a total of 3.5 deg, and 3 deg with the shims, so how are you getting the other .5 deg with 0 deg caster blocks? in the rear...
Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mr crum
i seen pics on redrc.net they narrowed the driveline moved bulkheads in so the wont fit but the thing is sweet i like the fact that there is a drive belt on either side of the spur and that the bulkheads are abdectrious u can use same bulkhead on all four corners i will get one in october when they are released
The car is very well balanced. It should not be a problem for those with a 1350g minimum weight to reach this and still be balanced left to right.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

just wondering if anyone could confirm that these ball cups will be a good/correct size replacement for a tc5 ?

RPM Heavy Duty 4-40 Rod Ends [RPM73372]
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vikingen
just wondering if anyone could confirm that these ball cups will be a good/correct size replacement for a tc5 ?

RPM Heavy Duty 4-40 Rod Ends [RPM73372]
Yes they're great. Much more robust than the stock ones. I've got the blue ones on my TC5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.