Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response. I agree with what you said but only after the person truely does attempt many, many changes to their cars. Unfortunately in my area, in the race to be the fastest club guy out there, I have seen a few examples of 1 or 2 practice days and if the car isn't perfect its immediately sold for 40% of what it was purchased for. The next car is bought and so on and so on. Eventually that person usually quits racing altogether.

In your example when you've exhausted all possibilities then a switch is needed. I personally done this myself once I realized that my car did not suit my driving style at all.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response. I agree with what you said but only after the person truely does attempt many, many changes to their cars. Unfortunately in my area, in the race to be the fastest club guy out there, I have seen a few examples of 1 or 2 practice days and if the car isn't perfect its immediately sold for 40% of what it was purchased for. The next car is bought and so on and so on. Eventually that person usually quits racing altogether.

In your example when you've exhausted all possibilities then a switch is needed. I personally done this myself once I realized that my car did not suit my driving style at all.

Steve
And the million dallar question is......would a TC5 be one of those cars?

or is it close enough that and average fast guy can tune it and make it work?

DK

DK
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

PartTime,

I am not sure if I totaly understand your question but here goes.

I loved my TC5 but I recently sold it. I sold it because I wanted to pick up a sponsorship with another company, which is in the works.

I found my TC5 to be of very high quality overall. My car built very well. My only issues were the servo saver steering arm spring seemed to be slightly too long. I compressed it in a pair of pliers then slightly re bent one coil (Very minor tweek) this took two minutes. The other thing was I did some very minor dremel work on my chassis so my servo had a bit more room between the servo ears, this also took 3 minutes. That's about it. The fit and finish on everything else was perfect. I do recommend you to buy a 2.0mm ball wrench for the suspension mounts though. I have run just about every car out there and the few that I did not run like the LOSI JRX-S, I built 2 for a friend. I really liked my TC5.

I also find it to be a very affordable car to run, the arms and caster blocks, etc are very cheaply priced compared to the imports

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PartTime
And the million dallar question is......would a TC5 be one of those cars?

or is it close enough that and average fast guy can tune it and make it work?

DK

DK
My Corally was the car that I switched away from because it did not suit my driving style. I had a 50% with them for about 5 years. I liked the car and the support that Robbie gave, but I could not get the RDX to agree with what I wanted from it. I owned the C4.1, then the Assassin then the RDX. So yes I did try many things over the years. What's kinda funny is that the RDX and now the PHI wins a fair amount of races locally and Nationally.

I do believe that a TC5 can be a very competitive car. Mine was.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PartTime
Hi guys.

I was thinking about trading my xray for a tc5. I talked to a guy last night that might be up for it.

Now normally I wouldnt think twice but, EVERYBODY that I talk to says dont do it there junk. even the guy who owns it says dont do it. Not that I believe most of the guys I talk to when it comes to cars and setup but, there is an over wellming amount of people that say this. Plus it dont help that there not really showing to well at the big race's, from what little i have looked anyway.

I have heard about the flexable plastic arms and what is happing. Have also seen the new hard arms and am thinking that these will fix that problem. Yes I have seen the ITF chassis with the orings below the upper plate but, my xray is a 007 foam car running rubber with the 4mm chassis and stock upper plate with out a problem so I dont think a new chassis plate is in order.

So......What is wrong with this car? Is it just the issues I have listed or is there more that I dont know about?

Thanks for any help.
DK
Here is the thing, Xray, Corally, etc. have either been evolving their chassis for several years, or they have a large enough and talented enough team to rapidly dial their cars in. Associated started with a blank sheet of paper, and also lost a big part of their old team (Easton, Blackstock, Pavidas, Baker, etc.,etc.). They do have excellent drivers, but it's a smaller team now. The other thing is most of the big races are on foam, and they don't have as many foam guys as they did.

Things are getting better though, Snowbirds--Mod
1 1 Paul Lemieux TQ
2 2 Simo Ahoniemi
3 6 Keven Hebert Associated TC5
4 3 Mike Blackstock
5 10 Bobby Flack
6 7 Andy Moore
7 4 Juho Levanen Associated TC5
8 5 Billy Easton
9 9 Mike Dumas
10 8 Barry Baker

2008 ROAR Nats Mod
LeMieux, Paul
Baker, Barry
Dumas, Mike
Hebert, Keven---Associated TC5
Burch, Ralph
Easton, Billy
Tosolini,
Mockerman, Chris ---Associated TC5
Doseck, Chris
Hohwart, Rick--- Associated TC5

Brian Jucha also got a 3rd at the novak race in stock, and 10th at the ROAR nats in stock. He's pretty much their only stock guy for foam.

The car is much better in the last couple months because these guys have put a lot of work in. Most of the people out there want to buy the guaranteed winner of tomorrow's race. It took Xray several years to break the stranglehold the TC3 had on carpet. I used to watch guys roll their newly bought cars out at a big race. Then the next race, these guys all had tc3s again. My point is it does not happen overnight. Every car is like this at the start. But, the car is pretty damn good right now.

My car was about the best foam tire car i have ever had at the ROAR nats. The only limit i had was my ability. With the new hard parts, and the general setup these guys have come up with, you start with a car that is close. Believe me, I have witnessed what goes on with the car of the week group. A lot of guys don't give anything a chance if it is not instantly dialed.

The biggest complaint I have noticed: stiffness of the plastic--now solved
Also Diggity Designs sells aluminum caster blocks. --again, solved.

Feel free to ask about anything, the guys here can help.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

can anyone help me out here.....what do i have to do to switch the stock 48 pitch spur set up in the tc5 to a 64 pitch set up...do i have to change any of the pullies and what teeth spur do i put in the car?????

thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Factory Racer,

Its pretty much a straight up switch. I had a PRS 112 and a RW 114 64 pitch spur in mine. No mod needed for either. Also a Kimbrough is a direct fit, so its your choice.

Please post what class you run. BL or Br. Foam or rubber, big open track, or small technical track. Mod or stock, etc.

Steve
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Since the search is not working....

Any one have a better motor mount, as in more adjustment?
I'm not able to get the search to work, so does anyone know of a motor mount that has more adjustment then the stock one?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
I'm not able to get the search to work, so does anyone know of a motor mount that has more adjustment then the stock one?
Dremel!
I usualy look for option parts for the 5 and havnt seen any thing. let me guess, need to get the 17.5 gearing in there?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

does anyone have a good setup or starting point for stock rubber on asphalt? chances are the tires will be jaco greens.

Sean
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are you guys noticing a slight drag on the steering on the initial build? I've just about got mine done as of last night and it seems like the steering from side to side seems a little tight. Do you guys leave the screws that hold the steering post slightly loose or snug them down? I've got the servo servo setup exactly as the manual states.

Also...I'm using a Robinson Racing 64p spur and could only get 2 "shorter" screws to line up correctly to hold it on. Will it be ok using 2 instead of 3?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sean Powers
does anyone have a good setup or starting point for stock rubber on asphalt? chances are the tires will be jaco greens.

Sean
Hi,

I usually run on open tracks with a 9.5T BL motor (stock class in Portugal). I think this setup is a good starting point. It works for me.

Nuno
Old 03-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Initiate

ups, too big....

Sorry.

Nuno
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by corallyman
Factory Racer,

Its pretty much a straight up switch. I had a PRS 112 and a RW 114 64 pitch spur in mine. No mod needed for either. Also a Kimbrough is a direct fit, so its your choice.

Please post what class you run. BL or Br. Foam or rubber, big open track, or small technical track. Mod or stock, etc.

Steve
Hey, well the car is brand new i just built it but never ran it yet....i have a brushless set up in it right now with rubber tires, will be runnin on ashfalt...

thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by overflow
Dremel!
I usualy look for option parts for the 5 and havnt seen any thing. let me guess, need to get the 17.5 gearing in there?

Yep... I will use a dremel, but I thought if someone had a more adjustable motor mount, it would be better... I guess I need to find someone that can mill me one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.