Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
I hear lots of talk about 64-pitch gears, but let me state a fact some won't be thinking of. Unless you are a very good driver (were talking consistent lap times within 1-second of each other), then stick with more common and slightly cheaper 48-pitch gears until you can drive/perform consistently. You will have to keep less spurs/pinions on hand, and they are more durable.

Buying all the extra spurs and pinions needed for 64-pitch racing can be a waste of money until you become consistent. We all know that 64-pitch allows for greater gear ratio adjustments and run a little quieter, but if you are not consistent, then what good can be achieved by changing the gear ratio on a narrower scale? Granted, if money is of no concern, spend away.

I AM NOT consistent yet, though my lap times are coming down. I blame this on not finding a dialed setup for my TC5 just yet, but mostly my carpet driving skills are marginal as best , so 48-pitch works just fine for me.
I hear ya on that. I have always run 64P on all my cars and it's never been a problem before. I'm just trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing wrong. I also never ran Kimbrough gears before either. Are they too soft? I will be going back to RW gears for the next time out.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by zacabrandy
Im building the shocks and from the info ive gathered the #2 pistons are what everyone is using however i only have the #3 pistons. Am I supposed to have a selection of different pistons in the kit?

In the mean time as i dont have any other pistons should I go down to 35 weight oil?

Cheers
Aaron
No, the TC5 kit only comes with #3 pistons... I bought two TC5 kits, one for spare parts, and both came only with #3 pistons. This kinda irritated me, but I can see that Associated is trying to maximize their profit by making more and more parts optional.

Here's another shocker, the pistions for the TC3/TC4 shocks are smaller in diameter by .006", and the new TC5 pistons are also thinner by .004". I elected not to use them since I could not get an e-clip on the shock shaft with taking a file to the pistions to make them slightly thinner, and with the #2 pistions being .006 smaller, they will allow shock fluid to bypass around the piston instead of completely through the holes in the piston.

Yes, you can drop the fluid weight by 5 to 10. I think I read somewhere that the #2 pistions are close to making a 5wt change in fluid, and the #1 piston would be close to 10wt change. Of course, they won't be the same, but will have similar effects.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

STLNLST, I don't know if this could cause the problem with the spur gear stripping out but it's worth a look. Has your layshaft pulleys/spur gear mount developed any slop. It's hard to explain but has the slots where the pin slides through the layshaft and locks the pulley/spur gear mount in place worn out? On my car the plastic pulley has developed slop to where the spur can now rotate back and forth on the layshaft (...when the layshaft is being held). Just something to look at...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

No, the TC5 kit only comes with #3 pistons... I bought two TC5 kits, one for spare parts, and both came only with #3 pistons. This kinda irritated me, but I can see that Associated is trying to maximize their profit by making more and more parts optional.

Here's another shocker, the pistions for the TC3/TC4 shocks are smaller in diameter by .006", and the new TC5 pistons are also thinner by .004". I elected not to use them since I could not get an e-clip on the shock shaft with taking a file to the pistions to make them slightly thinner, and with the #2 pistions being .006 smaller, they will allow shock fluid to bypass around the piston instead of completely through the holes in the piston.

Yes, you can drop the fluid weight by 5 to 10. I think I read somewhere that the #2 pistions are close to making a 5wt change in fluid, and the #1 piston would be close to 10wt change. Of course, they won't be the same, but will have similar effects.
That's really odd....I just pulled some old #2s from my AE shock box and put them in the shocks. I had no problems assembling them either.....hmmmmm......
Old 08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hello all,

I was wondering how to get plastic piece out of the shock body that holds the o-ring in place. I want to replace the o-rings. How do I do this without damaging the shock body or plastic parts?

Cheerz
Old 08-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What's the part number for the #2 pistons?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
According to Associated's website, they are the same for the TC3, TC4, TC5, NTC3, etc...

Is is possible that over time and use they wore down on the outside, reducing diameter, and were manufactured slightly thicker than the TC5 pistions?

I will re-measure the #2 pistons when I get home.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The old pistons you may have were probably molded by AE or their old subcontractor. I think all the new stuff is getting done by thunder tiger. I noticed the old pistons I had were a bit off on the size, and I took them straight off the tree (NOS). However, I have been using the Tamiya 3 hole, since they worked on another car I had. They seem to be good for foam/carpet, but you need a motor shim on the shock shaft to tighten it up, as they are thinner.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Obsidian
Hello all,

I was wondering how to get plastic piece out of the shock body that holds the o-ring in place. I want to replace the o-rings. How do I do this without damaging the shock body or plastic parts?

Cheerz
You can use a allen wrench to push them out. Just be careful not to damage the body.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
Part # 6465, You get 4 each -#1, #2, #3
Old 08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Rob when are you gonna be out at the track next ?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirtyDog3375
Hi STLNLST,

Due to the incidient, your car could have been tweaked slightly.

Some things to check:

1. make sure motor screws are tigtened properly
2. check that spurs are true spinning (no low/high spots) - if there are, make sure you mesh the spur on the lowest spot
3. check centre layshaft to make sure its not bent
4. check other bulkheads for tweak
5. make sure motor plate screw is properly tightened (one that secures the motor plate to the rear left bulkhead)

Hope this helps.

- Leonard.
I know some of the team guys have been running without this screw and the reason I don't like to do it is just this reason. With the motor mount moving relative to the bulkhead it allows a lot of misalignment between the spur and the pinion.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll be ordering my RW gears in the morning. I'll also be double checking all screws and suggested items.Going to try out my own set up as well. Look out Norcal here comes STLNLST
Old 08-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
With 64p gears you can get a "finer" gear ratio, or another way to put it is that there are more available ratios. I use them because I used to race 1/12th scale alot and they are also more efficient then 48p. The downside is 48p is more durable than 64p.

Steve
Hi Warrick,

Pros:
more ratios
finer adjustment

Cons:

can be easily damaged

There are no real discernable differences between 64 and 48 pitch. It's really a matter of personal preference. Just make sure which ever one you choose, that:

1. you mesh it correctly
2. spurs spin true (I like and prefer the machined delrin spurs -RW and Robinson Racing)

Hope this helps.

- Leonard.
I hear lots of talk about 64-pitch gears, but let me state a fact some won't be thinking of. Unless you are a very good driver (were talking consistent lap times within 1-second of each other), then stick with more common and slightly cheaper 48-pitch gears until you can drive/perform consistently. You will have to keep less spurs/pinions on hand, and they are more durable.

Buying all the extra spurs and pinions needed for 64-pitch racing can be a waste of money until you become consistent. We all know that 64-pitch allows for greater gear ratio adjustments and run a little quieter, but if you are not consistent, then what good can be achieved by changing the gear ratio on a narrower scale? Granted, if money is of no concern, spend away.

I AM NOT consistent yet, though my lap times are coming down. I blame this on not finding a dialed setup for my TC5 just yet, but mostly my carpet driving skills are marginal as best , so 48-pitch works just fine for me.
Thanks for the discussion :-)
Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Master

If you are going to run the TIR spool, you need to buy a Yokomo BD oneway/spool pulley.

I am not sure about the AE TC5 one.

- Leonard
associated one is fine.. i used a diff one.. but one way works just as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.