Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
oME
Tech Apprentice

Default what?

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Nice job I beleive you now. Oh are those Snap On or Craftsman pliers you use when you twist the armature. I can twist a johnson and get 29,000 rpm but its cheating and no one likes a cheater.
How do you use pliers to twist the armature???
In what motion do you twist???
In what motion do you use the pliers????

Thinking that the armature are deep down???

Just curious about knowing what are the possibilities out there
Attached Thumbnails Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks-untitled.jpg  
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

is that a Tamiya Silver can? How did you get those plastic tabs out of there?
Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips
Granpa,

my comments were not specific to tcs and mini rules. it was just to share how you can gain top speed.

still, in tcs mini, ride height will change camber (front and rear)

and in Tamiya worlds Japan, correct me if im mistaken...

1rst place in mini class in japan
5:33.927

Leung Ka Kui (4th place, Asia winner)
5:49.661

The winner was 16 seconds faster than the Asia representative. Hope this shows that such a big speed difference can still be achieved without cheating.

Yes, please listen to your guys, they are fast. But as you can see, there are much faster minis than what you think is possible legally.

happy holidays to all!!!

joel
First, let me wish you a happy holiday season and a successful new year.

I don't believe I've ever said that in order to be a fast racer, that you had to cheat. Let me pose the question to you in another way, cause you're talking about one thing and I was talking about something entirely different. IF two cars with TCS legal everything were raced in a straight line from point A to point B, would the car with 20 to 30% more power arrive first????? If two cars driven by nearly equal drivers, both with good handling cars, exited the turn entering the straight at nearly the same corner speed and one car pulled ahead by 10 to 15 feet on a say 120 foot straight, would the car with more power get to the next turn first???? Yes to both questions ,right?? Now what I was saying was, that is an unfair advantage. I suggested that we could rectify this by perhaps having Tamiya establish a set of maximum performance specifications for the silvercan similar to the ones they set for the blackcan at the TCS Nationals.

Anything not specific to the TCS rules are of no value to me as almost all the races I compete in use TCS rules as their basis.

When you suggested changing the camber, i thought you were saying to adjust the camber links, which is a no no where I race. I knew you could change the camber by adjusting the ride ht.

I also respectfully suggest to you sir, that you have no idea what my thoughts are as to how fast a Mini can be legally. I also know that unless you know the full story of what happened at the Worlds, you could arrive at some erroneous conclusions. Also, if you were not aware of this, the competitors from the USA have to be amateurs and no drivers with any sponsorship are eligible to go to Japan. I do not believe this is the standard imposed world wide. I'm very proud of the guys from the USA and am a little put out when you show them disrespect by stating there are Minis faster than I ever thought could be legally. What do you mean by that???? I've never seen a fast Mini or fast driver cause I haven't seen you guys?????

Geez, how insulting can you get???
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Apologies, no disrespect meant to anyone.

Merry Christmas in advance.

joel
Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips
Apologies, no disrespect meant to anyone.

Merry Christmas in advance.

joel
Apology accepted. Will be sending PM later.

I've learned a lot since posting on this thread. If people may have gotten confused by all the verbage, there were only two ?? I posed
1. Is advancing the timing legal or not.
2. Would imposing motor performance limitations on the silvercan be a good
idea. If it was a good idea for the blackcan, why was it a bad idea for the
silver?

First let me thank all those who responded to my questions, whether it was on point or not, in agreement or not. Please let me point out, I may have addressed cheating in an indirect way, but NEVER said anyone was. If I didn't know for sure, the answer to question #1, I sure as H didn't know who or if anyone was cheating. Several interesting things came to light and led me to certain conclusions:
1. That you could do anything to these motors short of opening the can and
"cranking" the comm.
2. That the "gentlemens" agreement of all you can do to these motors is to
break them in,oil and clean them was invalid.
3. Not many thought limiting the silvercan was a good idea. That was really
enlightening.
4. Do not suggest anything to Tamiya if you are a nobody like me or you
may get a snide e-mail back from their Marketing Director, Larry Chen
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Dear Abby, 1st of all I am making this clear I mean no disrespect or am flaunting a negative dispostion to anyone. Now that that is clear I am addressing the issue of the rules of silver can motors and racing in general. Isn't the original idea of racing RC to be competitive and have fun? In my view of this matter it is obvious there are some who like to bend the rules in order to prove they are "the best." Let those have their momentary glow in the spotlight and don't let it bother those of us who enjoy the sport/hobby for what it is esp during this time of year (Christmas). In every type of athletic event the rules are not set as a verbatum and anybody can intrepret anything in any number of ways. If some choose to alter their understanding of right and wrong, let it go. Rules are meant to be stretched to the limit; ever speed through a late yellow at a intersection or make a judgement call on someone and then do the same thing? Merry Christmas to all! If I am being offensive to anyone please accept my apology.

Last edited by bowl806; 12-21-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'd rather finish down the order with a legal car than do anything illegal and win.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just to make this a bit lighter reading for someone passing through,

i have a silver can in my E10, and instead of forking out ~£20 for a new motor that would also need a lathe, new brushes and springs, i could just cran the comm (i'm not racing BTW!). so, from looking down on the endbell, i twist clockwise? and how much?

thanks,
Joe
Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
I'd rather finish down the order with a legal car than do anything illegal and win.
been there, done that...
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all,

I'm learning quite a bit reading this forum..

I recently bought a Fantom Facts Machine dyno (good deal) to allow me to test my motors for my Mini and TT-01...

Anyone with a Fantom out there that can tell me where their better motors are coming in with the aluminum flywheel at 5volts???

Also, I have a barrage of stock motor tuning questions, but haven't seen a similiar thread on tuning stock motors. Anyone know of a good thread???

Markf3x
Old 12-22-2007, 01:42 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

anyone tried wd40 i have
Old 12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by markf3x
Hi all,

I'm learning quite a bit reading this forum..

I recently bought a Fantom Facts Machine dyno (good deal) to allow me to test my motors for my Mini and TT-01...

Anyone with a Fantom out there that can tell me where their better motors are coming in with the aluminum flywheel at 5volts???

Also, I have a barrage of stock motor tuning questions, but haven't seen a similiar thread on tuning stock motors. Anyone know of a good thread???

Markf3x
I'm looking for a dyno. Is the Fantom a good one???? If so, where did you obtain it? I'm pretty good with chassis and tire set ups, but a neophyte at motor tuning. Know a few of the "tricks" and can improve most motors some, but need to get better. I heard the Fantom software was difficult. Is this true?? Are there better dynos on the market??? You can PM me with the info.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PaZ
anyone tried wd40 i have
i have, it just makes the motor oily and smelly.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

hmm u got a different result to me how much did u use im talking a drip of wd40 not a spray
Old 12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

i depressed the spray just a fraction of it's movement for a quarter of a second... it worked but it soon got black and sticky, and everytime the motor arced it stank of burned WD40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.