Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

hi guys am just woundering if there is anyway of tuning the motor in anyway possiable i.e opening the can,oils, sprays etc..... to make the motor go any faster.?

i have been reading the other fourms about motor dipping etc and i havent really made a differents to the performance.

any help will be much apresheated

cheers
Old 03-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Rookie

there isnt anyway to make them faster. trust me i have tried every trick in the book. waterdip just runs in the motor but will NEVER make it go faster than it otherwise would anyway.

if you see a real fast one on the track its either

1) that 1 in 100 motor that is just a fast motor from factory

2) BIGGEST FACTOR. the car in which the motor is in is underweight, 1300grams vs 1500gms makes a big difference in silvercan class. thats 20%lighter = lots of extra speed.

cheers
Old 03-04-2006, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

so isnt there away to open the can and tune it that way?

also i have herd of the brasso thing, it that any good or not?

cheers again
Tamiyamanuk
Old 03-04-2006, 04:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TAMIYAMANUK
so isnt there away to open the can and tune it that way?

also i have herd of the brasso thing, it that any good or not?

cheers again
Tamiyamanuk
There is no real 'legal' way of tuning the Silver can 540, just bed it in right, thin oil on the bushings and maybe comdrops, flushing it through after each run with motor spray...
Old 03-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

With the sealed 540 motor there isn't anything you really can do with them, they are not a rebuildable style motor.
The 'water-dipping' is only done to break in the brushes.
Beyond that just bed-in the bushes, there are all sorts of 'tricks' that drivers will swear by - brasso, toothpaste, metal polish, etc. and make sure that you put a drop of decent oil on each of the bushes.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Addict

i know i dont need it to be legal
its just a bet with me mate to see who has a quick silver can or ideas of tuning them up?

also what oils would you recomended for the brushes becasue at the moment i have been using abit of 'Team Orion free revs pro' but the motor seems to start and stop?

Cheer again
tamiyamanuk
Old 03-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
If you want a fast Silver Can, the motor you are looking for is an older motor that tamiya used to put in its kits. Its a Johnson motor, but it has 4 slots around the circumference of the can, where as the current lot only have 2. These motors are equivilent to the 23turn Black Sport Tune that Tamiya offers. A few guys use these at the TCS races to one up everyone and turn fast lap times. Tamiya allows it at their races. If you can find one thats the one to get.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

so whats the best oils and sprays etc..... to use to keep them in good nick?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geti
there isnt anyway to make them faster. trust me i have tried every trick in the book. waterdip just runs in the motor but will NEVER make it go faster than it otherwise would anyway.

2) BIGGEST FACTOR. the car in which the motor is in is underweight, 1300grams vs 1500gms makes a big difference in silvercan class. thats 20%lighter = lots of extra speed.

cheers
Absolute rubbish

For any years, where i raced off-road, our stock class used the 540 motor as it was cheap and provided close racing (this was before re-buildable stocks).

My brother nearly always had the fastest 540 car, even when running cars that weren't as efficient as his competitiors - and all due to his break-in and tuning expertise with these motors.

He never opened the can, and did nothing that was against the rules, yet still managed to constantly have motors that were noticably faster than his competitors.

I still dont know his whole method but I do remember it being a very long, meticulous process, and it relied heavily on a certain brand of "power spray" - that I think is unavailable now.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

try and get the name of the spray mate
Old 03-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

How many ways is there to break in the brush's the water dip seems to risking as if you do ti for just that little bit to much its a garbage motor after is it not?

I assume most people just flush out with motor spray then put on some bushing lube and a drop or two of what ever each person prefers for com drops for each run?

There must be some better break in way other then water dipping
Old 03-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

What sedan tub chassis does Tamiya make that you can get to 1300 grams!!

I think there are faster motors and there are terds...buy 5 and pick the fastest 2 to start with and sell the rest.

I have also personally witnessed water dipping turn a decent motor into crap.
Originally Posted by Geti

cheers
Old 03-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

from my past experiences i have seen people actually dip there motors in 7-up and thin bushing oil for a 2 min high volt break in.....maybe it works maybe it doesent
Old 03-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

i haved so many different oils and com drops and i cant seem to find the best one/ones out there?

what would you recomend???

i have been reading the past threads and theres a guy out there on this fourm who does tuning to these motors but they dont mention his name lol
Old 03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TAMIYAMANUK
i haved so many different oils and com drops and i cant seem to find the best one/ones out there?

what would you recomend???

i have been reading the past threads and theres a guy out there on this fourm who does tuning to these motors but they dont mention his name lol
if he knows some way to make these motors different then it is not tamiya legal, but if he just has some tuning or dipping tipps it perfectly fine
but back to getis point not many of those motors are very fast, there just supposed to control the equipment factor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.