UF1 is Back In SoCal! >

UF1 is Back In SoCal!

Like Tree189Likes

UF1 is Back In SoCal!

Old 06-27-2018, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB View Post
You won't be disappointed. It's gotta be one of the nicer places in the country to race now.

I wonder how fast I can sell my new house and move to Vegas? lol
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

The racetrack and the whole hall look great.
This is very good news
Old 06-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

I would just like to say thank you!!
Thank you to all those involved with UF1 and it's return to the R/C scene!!

But especially I would like to thank the organizer's for allowing F1 car's with full independent suspension system's!! So needed I feel as a route to the future and to realism within R/C F1.

I just hope a region a little closer to us will fire up their own UF1 that I can then support with copious enthusiasm's ......

Congrat's to all involved!!

Regard's
BM
TPhalen, qcrc, jgroenhof and 1 others like this.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

UF1 Practice / F1 Qualifying Day

This weekend, July 7th and 8th, UF1 will be hosting a FREE F1-only Practice / F1 Qualifying Day at Cal Raceway.

If you're looking to race in the F1 class during this season, you'll want to be here to qualify (see video here:
).

If you're looking to run the F2 class, this will also be a great opportunity to get some tuning in for this season!

Remember, only 25.5 turn motors are allowed during the F1 Qualifying sessions!
Old 07-06-2018, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Due to the extreme heat this weekend, the UF1 F1 Practice and Qualifying has been changed.

They want you to have fun, not sizzle in your sneakers or melting F1 cars.

Saturday has been cancelled. Sunday, July 8th, is still a go. Cal will be opening up an hour early on Sunday to help get things rolling along.

The second qualifying day will be Sunday, August 26th. Same schedule will apply to this day.
lagcisco likes this.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Curious in Corona

Tony, thx for all the info. Am wondering if I can run if I don't come out for the qualifiers today or in August--demands of my profession and other issues will prevent. I was only planning to sandbag run F2 anyway.
KenGerb likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
Tony, thx for all the info. Am wondering if I can run if I don't come out for the qualifiers today or in August--demands of my profession and other issues will prevent. I was only planning to sandbag run F2 anyway.
Anyone can sandbag run the F2 class. The F1 class will require you to meet a minimum time. I believe the goal is to group comparable skill levels and keep it competitive for each group. So, if you're running F1 times, you probably should be in F1. Kind of like Expert/Sportsman.

Each class will be it's own series with it's own points and winners.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by KenGerb View Post
Anyone can sandbag run the F2 class. The F1 class will require you to meet a minimum time. I believe the goal is to group comparable skill levels and keep it competitive for each group.
Thx for answer. I seriously doubt I will be running competitive F1-class times and will therefore be happy in F2.
I have a suggestion for the future iterations of the series. After watching the Iowa Indycar race yesterday and marveling at how good the cars now look, and that the front and rear wings now resemble what we run on our F1 models, perhaps in future we could consider making the slower class an Indycar class with modified bodies (it's possible to cut down the scoop on the cars to make it look like a roll hoop and lower the engine cover with judicious use of a hobby knife or a Dremel) since Indycars are slower than F1's. Just a thought.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Spec tire (s)
Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
Thx for answer. I seriously doubt I will be running competitive F1-class times and will therefore be happy in F2.
I have a suggestion for the future iterations of the series. After watching the Iowa Indycar race yesterday and marveling at how good the cars now look, and that the front and rear wings now resemble what we run on our F1 models, perhaps in future we could consider making the slower class an Indycar class with modified bodies (it's possible to cut down the scoop on the cars to make it look like a roll hoop and lower the engine cover with judicious use of a hobby knife or a Dremel) since Indycars are slower than F1's. Just a thought.
I'd like to see LMP cars on the track too.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vctr1 View Post
Spec tire (s)
I personally am all for spec'd tires. I like what you told me too, fixed rear with two options for front. Easy to tune. Easy to tech. Maybe the F1 class can be more of an open class, or at least more options. But F2 should be spec'd tires. The times will be competitive with each other but keep frustration to a minimum.

I don;t mind getting beat by a better driver. I often do What I don't like is getting beat by deeper pockets or the guy that has 20 tire combinations. Takes the fun out of it if you can't compete "off the trailer."

That being said, the qualifying session also seemed to be a bit of tire testing in the heat. Times seemed pretty close, even with the different choices that were on track. XR's seemed popular.

So I think UF1 is doing it right for now, keep the tires open so people can use what they have and get back into UF1 racing but we need to share information. As we find out what tires work, then the spec tire can be figured out for next season. I believe he plans on posting suggested tires and setups as well.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by KenGerb View Post
I personally am all for spec'd tires. I like what you told me too, fixed rear with two options for front. Easy to tune. Easy to tech. Maybe the F1 class can be more of an open class, or at least more options. But F2 should be spec'd tires. The times will be competitive with each other but keep frustration to a minimum.

I don;t mind getting beat by a better driver. I often do What I don't like is getting beat by deeper pockets or the guy that has 20 tire combinations. Takes the fun out of it if you can't compete "off the trailer."

That being said, the qualifying session also seemed to be a bit of tire testing in the heat. Times seemed pretty close, even with the different choices that were on track. XR's seemed popular.

So I think UF1 is doing it right for now, keep the tires open so people can use what they have and get back into UF1 racing but we need to share information. As we find out what tires work, then the spec tire can be figured out for next season. I believe he plans on posting suggested tires and setups as well.

Before going the spec tire route I hope thorough testing is done before picking the tire. Even in the heat the XR tires were just 'ok' if you liked tip-toeing around the track. Imagine how frustrating these tires might be for an F2 driver if temps were in the 70's. Not all tires works on all tracks- especially at Cal Raceway. With trying a dozen tire combos yesterday my best times yesterday were still the tried and true shimizu hard with 'kit' fronts. fwiw.
KenGerb likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

Very true Mike, that's why we post. More feedback. Feedback from everyone will help in the decision making process later. That elusive "easy to drive" tire will be exactly that to find...

I'm going to run whatever the rules say because I like to race...
MikeR likes this.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

2011 Rubber Tire Review | UF1 RC - Formula 1 RC Racing

If the upcoming tire review for F1 / F2 is as comprehensive as the above, a suitable spec tire for one or both classes should emerge. Or, if a decision is made for no-spec in one or both classes, a good snapshot of what works and what does not work should also emerge.

Good website, by the way.

Cheers. AC

Last edited by AHR43; 07-09-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: add a sentence
Old 07-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As Ken said, we're keeping UF1 a bit more open this year to get the series back up and running. Next season we've got some cool ideas that will shake things up a bit in F1 and (hopefully) make it easier and cheaper for F2.

I'm certainly up for any suggestions - good or bad - for the series and want to get the UF1 back to its former glory. So thanks to those with input. Anything we find we'll post on the UF1 site to help both F1 and F2 drivers.

Also like to thank KenGerb for all his help so far with the UF1 - couldn't do it without all your help bud!
KenGerb likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service