R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1008833-understanding-f1-tuning-let%92s-break-down.html)

trilerian 10-04-2019 05:27 AM

What are the best alternatives to glue for the sidewalls? Glue being pretty permanent makes it difficult to dial in correctly. Also, anyone try no glue at all for the fronts? Gravity tires on crc black carpet.

Zerodefect 10-04-2019 08:01 AM

Not a permanent as you think. Mine wears off in a few hour practice session.

I use black slow ca glue, full sidewall.

GT CRUSING 10-04-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15522149)
What are the best alternatives to glue for the sidewalls? Glue being pretty permanent makes it difficult to dial in correctly. Also, anyone try no glue at all for the fronts? Gravity tires on crc black carpet.

If you use sandpaper roughly 230-350, you can easily remove the glue in 5min. Comes in handy if you have cracked side wall glue and want to freshen it up or messed up in the gluing process

Friulimotosport 10-06-2019 04:47 PM

My car is lacking on power steering through the sweeper. What are some changes to try to improve ?

robk 10-06-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Friulimotosport (Post 15523472)
My car is lacking on power steering through the sweeper. What are some changes to try to improve ?

More caster
less front droop
Stiffer center spring
more horizontal center shock
more ackermann (straighter/less angle in steering rods)

Friulimotosport 10-06-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 15523476)
More caster
less front droop
Stiffer center spring
more horizontal center shock
more ackermann (straighter/less angle in steering rods)

Thanks for the fast reply.
I'll give that a try.

chensleyrc1 10-06-2019 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15522149)

I have done the no glue fronts. My fastest laps come then, but is very hard to hold onto, very tippy. I find that a little glue on the outer edge where the "slick" meets the sidewall is all that is needed to calm it down.

trilerian 10-07-2019 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 (Post 15523482)
I have done the no glue fronts. My fastest laps come then, but is very hard to hold onto, very tippy. I find that a little glue on the outer edge where the "slick" meets the sidewall is all that is needed to calm it down.

Could I get a picture of this? Gluing on these tires seems even more mysterious than TC. Also, any break in tips for a new set of tires?

Zerodefect 10-08-2019 11:20 AM

On my WGTR car I only glue 1/4'' up from the tread.

Dump some black CA on a plastic whatever.
Spin a qtip in it until it's cones shaped and not a frazzled mess.
Set the dry end of the qtip on your work bench, and hold the wet end up at 30-45 degree angle with your left hand.
Lay your tire down and move the sidewall to be glued, under the wet end of the qtip.
Spin the tire with your right hand.

Rinse repeat until an even line of glue is on. I use the bench to steady my hand.

MikeR 10-08-2019 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15523785)
Could I get a picture of this? Gluing on these tires seems even more mysterious than TC. Also, any break in tips for a new set of tires?

I use this technique but instead simply use a low speed setting on a skyrc tire sander;

chensleyrc1 10-08-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15523785)

I will get a picture next time at the track this weekend. I break mine in with a old set of fronts that are heavy glued from the rim to the tread until the rears break in, then I put on the new fronts and run them in, gluing the sidewall as needed. Others i have seen sand the tires until the seam disappears, then run them to break them in.

GT CRUSING 10-09-2019 04:05 AM

So rear tire tuning issue, is it possible to have a rear tire so soft it causes the rear to fish tail on corner exits? What could cause that? Have tried several adjustments on new car for carpet. Its weird, its technically drifting an F1 with volante tires

preineck 10-09-2019 06:31 AM

Am I the only one who thinks gluing sidewalls is ridiculous and should not be allowed? Folks go through all the effort to make the cars look awesome and then slap glue on the tires, which looks awful. Why not just tune the car for the conditions and drive it to its limits?

Zerodefect 10-09-2019 07:25 AM

We've been gluing tires in F1 and WGTR for 5ish years now, and for 15+ in 1/12th scale.

Can't even see it from the stand. With some skill it looks fine, in 1/12th scale it actually looks better. You're welcome to keep an unglued set for your display stand.

The plus's out weigh the minus's:
+can run super economical rubber tires and still have fun
+foams last much longer
+purple stripe spec foam tires actually work well. Not just a lame spec tire anymore.
+consistent levels of high grip that prepares us for big events better
+glued 12th scale sidewalls chunk less often
+no more diff maintenance
+no more one run thrust bearings

- you have to glue sidewalls
-can't paint your car black anymore
-black wings on a f1 car look silly on track, as they disappear.

JayL 10-09-2019 09:36 AM

Volante suck on carpet

I put tire decal over the glue, the new exotek sticker would be perfect for that.

I have overheated/oversauced rears and had them get 'greasey' which makes the rear loose, for me it was sauce on too long. Try playing the sauce game,/ heat time /wipe / don't wipe /clean / don't clean.

Look at some carpet ETS setups, since they run volante on carpet, but ETS carpet is was less grip than Black