R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1008833-understanding-f1-tuning-let%92s-break-down.html)

JeffofSpace 11-29-2018 10:52 PM

Looking for ideas/help...when measuring ride height at mid chassis (the forwardmost points of the rear pod...graphite chassis), I am getting unequal left and right heights. The are off by .5. I’ve gone through everything I could think of...chassis and pod tweak, screw head protrusion, side spring preloads and hardnesses, equal r/l height shims at all four corners, perfectly flat new pit board (tried repositioning car to no avail), spun tires to rule out uneven wheels...not sure where else to go... Anything come to mind?

Thanks!

trilerian 11-29-2018 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by JeffofSpace (Post 15345139)
Looking for ideas/help...when measuring ride height at mid chassis (the forwardmost points of the rear pod...graphite chassis), I am getting unequal left and right heights. The are off by .5. I’ve gone through everything I could think of...chassis and pod tweak, screw head protrusion, side spring preloads and hardnesses, equal r/l height shims at all four corners, perfectly flat new pit board (tried repositioning car to no avail), spun tires to rule out uneven wheels...not sure where else to go... Anything come to mind?

Thanks!

I used to have this problem with my 1/12 until I came up with a different way of setting the side springs. Get the car built, without tires or the damper tubes and raise the side springs off the chassis. Put a droop block under the rear pod and a balance pin up front. Move your electronics around to get the chassis even on both sides, I use a ride height guage to make sure it is close. Then get the side springs where you want them. Now using the ride height guage again, set the side springs to get even height on both sides. Then connect damper tubes. Since I started setting my side springs this way, I have had even ride height on both sides of the car.

xevias 12-02-2018 10:41 PM

Does anyone know the Hudy tire OEM?
Can you tell me how the Hudy tires compare with the 571/572 Shimizu combo?

I'm racing on ETS carpet. Usually medium traction.

Rick Vessell 12-03-2018 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by xevias (Post 15346973)

If I'm not mistaken, the Hudy tires are Ride. They will push compared to your 571/572.

F N CUDA 12-03-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by xevias (Post 15346973)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell (Post 15347120)
If I'm not mistaken, the Hudy tires are Ride. They will push compared to your 571/572.

Ride GR
Correct?

JayL 12-03-2018 09:28 AM

Hudy=Ride GR
Rumor says front insert in slightly different, but feels same to me

robk 12-03-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by trilerian (Post 15343974)
Another question... How long does a set of tires normally last on black carpet? 25.5 motor.

look for the tires to go "off" during the race, like 2 - 3 minutes in. A bad set gets squirrely mid race. They always feel good at the start or on short practice runs.

robk 12-03-2018 10:24 AM

Thanks!

If its an xray, this was a known issue on the earlier cars. They all had a ride height difference.

Markus 12-03-2018 02:36 PM

I feel the gravity and ride gr tires are different. I run both and the gravity tires feel like they have a more plastic content feel. The 'Gr's are more grippy from the go. feels more like a rubber tire.
the plastic wheels are probably the same though.

MC Hamilton 12-04-2018 05:47 AM

Thanks!

When I see this condition on a 1/12th or 1/10th scale pan car, something in the front blocks are uneven. They needed to be shimmed or shaved flat so that they are equal. Do you have a difference in spacers or a ball stud not fully pressed in? Take the tires off the car, place the car with chassis sitting on a flat surface and measure the height of your front axles. They need to be equal distances above the flat plate.

If that doesn't solve it, double check the front springs. Sometimes one collapses more than the other - time for new springs.

xevias 12-26-2018 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell (Post 15343097)
Less caster and camber. The fronts are riding on the inside edge too much and folding. Do you have anything on the kingpins? Start with 10K and go up if you need more steering.

Thanks Rick. Got to try your changes at race last weekend and put a lap on our local sponsored driver. He was using Sweep tires, but there is a reason why he's sponsored.

I reduced caster and camber, moved up oil in tubes from 10K to 20K, put 15K on the king pins, and added 35g of weight under front axle. The car was impossible to drive slow.

idbdoug 12-26-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by xevias (Post 15361818)
Thanks Rick. Got to try your changes at race last weekend and put a lap on our local sponsored driver. He was using Sweep tires, but there is a reason why he's sponsored.

I reduced caster and camber, moved up oil in tubes from 10K to 20K, put 15K on the king pins, and added 35g of weight under front axle. The car was impossible to drive slow.

2 questions::
1. do you have any droop/rise in front end???
2. If you have glue on front tires where did you glue them?
idbdoug

sps3172 12-26-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by robk (Post 15347286)
If its an xray, this was a known issue on the earlier cars. They all had a ride height difference.

What was the root cause on this?

robk 12-26-2018 01:46 PM

I never knew. Im pretty sure it happened with all the different chassis materials.

sbd 12-27-2018 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by sps3172 (Post 15361986)
What was the root cause on this?

Assuming all springs are equal (not collapsed etc) most of the time this is given by base plates tweak.