Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree430Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have NO issues with my diffs --- I use a little dab in every hole--press the balls in and then be sure the side I pressed them in on has a tiny dab on every ball. NO more on the rings--- the same for the outer thrust bearing--then I"m good to go.
mariob62 likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CasonRacing
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help.

I'm running on a small black carpet track, and I'm having trouble finding the right gearing. I was running a fan, but I've since taken it off because many of the fast guys are not running them. What FDR do you guys recommend? As of now, I'm running a 30/92. I appreciate the help. Thanks
If you're copying the 'fast guys' by skipping the fan, don't stop there. Copy their gearing too. No one...sitting miles away...typing on a computer...is going to have a better idea of how to gear, than the guys that actually run at your track.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sps3172
If you're copying the 'fast guys' by skipping the fan, don't stop there. Copy their gearing too. No one...sitting miles away...typing on a computer...is going to have a better idea of how to gear, than the guys that actually run at your track.
Well, I'd run a fan AND the same gearing myself
Every degree for every minute reduces rotor strength slowly over time, just no reason not to run a fan
Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That was my problem. The procedure that Tim described above was how I did it 25 years ago and will go back to doing it that way.
mariob62 likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EMU
Let's also not forget that the faster the car is on the straights, more setup flaws will show up in the corners after them.

if you look at many top drivers, they don't have the fastest car on the straight, but don't slow down into the corners.

My last race day the top drivers were all gradually gearing down to increase lap times each run. There was a hairpin after the straight, so a little less speed meant less time in the brake zone (with less chance to overshoot turn in) and more speed in the short chutes. Which gave a faster lap time. We were pretty much topped out coming off the sweeper onto the straight instead of accelerating down it.
I'm gonna experiment with this idea.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Tech Addict

Well I learned that at least on asphalt--the Shimizu tires are KING!! We've been running Gravity tires in our series at Cal--and they really do work fine because they a balanced well front and rear bite. So that's what I've been running on the VBC car since I built it!!
But I came down with a new F-1 Roche car--and it was definitely faster into and through the corner by a noticeable amount!! I realized when I ran it though--it had a used set of Shimizu tires on it!! So, tonight for test and tune, I pulled those tires off and put them on the VBC car I've been racing---WOW-- a NEW CAR!! It was really much better THROUGH the corner like I've been trying to find all along!! And even though it had much better steering into the corner---it also had plenty coming out with better rear bite as well. I'm not complaining about the Gravity tires--but I put them on the Roche, and it was NOT as good as with the Shimizu either!! SO== lesson learned---just as in ALL racing---TIRES ARE EVERYTHING!!! Along with the setup you need to drive fast!! FWIW!!
As long as the class is using the SPEC tire--Gravity-- then all are equal. But we definitely have to be SURE that is the case when we tech them!!
EMU and Holmestead like this.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Regarding duff lube: in 1/12 I always only use
enough lube on each ball that it will stick to my finger when I lift it. This is a tiny amount. I do the same with my f1 car. Diff always comes out buttery smooth.

I do rebuild diffs after each race day...that way I am always running a smooth and clean diff.
Tim Neja likes this.

Last edited by JeffofSpace; 05-01-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

Hello which Pit Shimizu tires using front and rear at outdoor thanks

Anyone have links for tamiya formula introduction videos on YouTube 6 parts thanks

Last edited by Nuno Gancho; 05-02-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho
Hello which Pit Shimizu tires using front and rear at outdoor thanks

Anyone have links for tamiya formula introduction videos on YouTube 6 parts thanks
I got mine from A Main premounted 571 and 572. My bad---F-1 1/10 tires --- Schumacher 571 front and 572 pre-mounted Shimizu tires!! Sorry -- I had the wrong source!! They've got them in stock.
FYI

Last edited by Tim Neja; 05-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

What is the part number Tim? I looked on TQ's site and only saw the unmounted version.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aft53
What is the part number Tim? I looked on TQ's site and only saw the unmounted version.
Sorry A MAIN HOBBIES!!!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

What is the best way to glue the front side walls for black carpet ? Any pictures would be appreciated .
Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Khador12
What is the best way to glue the front side walls for black carpet ? Any pictures would be appreciated .
Don't have a pic at the moment, but glue from the wheel edge up to the first tread seam if traction is real high. I also have marked 2mm from the edge of the tread with a marker and glued to that point when running on a fresh layout. The only other thing I can say is, if you can get your car to work with full front sauce, it will be faster, but this is not possible at all times. Hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 AM
Tech Initiate

What's the best way to prepare an outdoor asphalt track before using it? Leaf blower? Or just a good sweep?
I was practicing today, with a new set up and had massive amounts of oversteer, but I'm thinking that if the track is inconsistent, it's probably going to be hard to get my car to handle right, yeah?
Any advice appreciated!!
Cheers, Dan
Old 05-03-2018, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Inline vs traverse battery...

Xray and Roche say the opposite as for which is recommended for low and high grip.

What's been everyone's experience?

Have only run traverse so far but curious about trying inline. Figured I'd ask before I spend the time rewiring my car though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.