Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down >

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Like Tree430Likes

Understanding F1 Tuning: Letís break it down

Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

When I changed the spur, the inside washer never came out of the hub so I couldn't have assembled it incorrectly. How much and what brand of diff lube is being used? Ant differences if using ceramic diff balls?
Old 04-24-2018, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really? So who assembled it the first time?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Victor and it was working fine.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it possible it simply finally broke in?

Mark C.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Well if it was working fine--something is now different! You just need to find what changed? I know once I set my diffs--they are not changing, I've not heard of this problem if everything is working properly. You changed the spur gear--to another manufacturer? Change the diff rings? Change the diff balls?
Old 04-24-2018, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

So that's why I initiated the post. Since then I believe I have figured out the reason for the diff locking. When I reassembled the diff I most likely did not use enough diff lube on the balls. I was concerned that several people were talking about how the diff would throw off the excess lube and I simply over compensated. Thjere's always a reason. It sometimes takes a little longer to find it.
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Gearing

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help.

I'm running on a small black carpet track, and I'm having trouble finding the right gearing. I was running a fan, but I've since taken it off because many of the fast guys are not running them. What FDR do you guys recommend? As of now, I'm running a 30/92. I appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 04-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Chad what is your timing on your motor and what temp is it coming off at?
Old 04-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
Chad what is your timing on your motor and what temp is it coming off at?
Motor timing is 45 degrees. With the fan, it was coming in around 130 degrees. But many are running without the fan, and a much lower spur gear. I just didn't know what everyone else was running. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by CasonRacing
Motor timing is 45 degrees. With the fan, it was coming in around 130 degrees. But many are running without the fan, and a much lower spur gear. I just didn't know what everyone else was running. Thanks for the reply.
130 is fine, no need to worry until 160-170ish
Old 04-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CasonRacing
I am running a 92 spur, 30 or 31 pinion can't remember. I have plenty of rip. maybe play with timing first (go lower) then experiement with 88, 86, 80, 78 spurs etc and see if that helps. How much are you off pace? Is car driving good and you just need more acceleration?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Keep in mind that alot of speed is all about corner speed. I find that when my car is easy to drive it is usually not rolling through the corners as fast as it should. You can really scrub alot of speed in the corners without even knowing it. I spent alot of wasted time on the "perfect" gearing. I got my car up to speed by working on the chassis.
Tim Neja and JeffofSpace like this.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Unless you're drag racing---%80 of your time on the track is spent turning!! WHERE will you find the best way to a quicker lap?? For example, at Cal Raceway--the straight is just long enough for about a 2 second run down it. Then the sweeper--and the inner island turn--then an S section with a 100 degree turn to a VERY short straight--then and S section and a 90 degree true onto the straight. A good fast lap for a F-1 car is about 12 seconds. SO--- take 2 seconds off for the straight--.4 tenths for the short straight--and the REST of the time your are turning the car one way or the other to get through the track. %80 of the time is spent TURNING!!! Get the car to HANDLE and maintain momentum and SPEED through the corners. That's where you'll find your improved lap times!!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Let's also not forget that the faster the car is on the straights, more setup flaws will show up in the corners after them.

if you look at many top drivers, they don't have the fastest car on the straight, but don't slow down into the corners.

My last race day the top drivers were all gradually gearing down to increase lap times each run. There was a hairpin after the straight, so a little less speed meant less time in the brake zone (with less chance to overshoot turn in) and more speed in the short chutes. Which gave a faster lap time. We were pretty much topped out coming off the sweeper onto the straight instead of accelerating down it.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by aft53
So that's why I initiated the post. Since then I believe I have figured out the reason for the diff locking. When I reassembled the diff I most likely did not use enough diff lube on the balls. I was concerned that several people were talking about how the diff would throw off the excess lube and I simply over compensated. Thjere's always a reason. It sometimes takes a little longer to find it.
So, how much did you apply first and how much to get it working?
I'm just rebuilding a diff of a used kit that I bought and am reading different things as well, from only 3 dabs of lube to lube on all the balls and the rings on both sides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.