Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How much play is in the pinion rear drive cup when the truck is new..??
Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

I got some RC4WD Mickey Thomson Baja Claws on F11 beadlock rims for my Baja ray. I only had a chance to put 1 3s pack through them but they seem to be holding out well. They still slide easily enough side-side but have a lot more forward bite especially in the loose stuff. They're proportioned to work on the Yeti Score so they look right on the BJR, too.

Also got my spare tire carrier built for the back end. Still needs some details like paint and a fake-cage, but it works really well. It held up fine during my testing and only required a couple cage cuts and 1 extra drilled hole at the back.

Also here's a clip of my interior done and working, I forgot to post it here.
https://youtu.be/tVdEggYoSb4?t=15m40s
Old 10-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

LOOKS GREAT
Old 10-19-2016, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Hurry up and finish the tire carrier so I buy one! I need one in my life
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I built a passenger side camera mount for some better fpv filming.

Got it edited for split screen. I really love this Yi cam, works great for this. Hopefully I can find time to try it in other locations soon, this was just yard bashing. Not much left before I can think of this project as essentially complete

https://youtu.be/92DThEdkuT4
Old 10-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Any guidance or photos of a Baja Rey drivetrain / diffs being oiled would be much appreciated. (the 12 screw body off photos were super helpful!). Is there a smart way to do some preventative work or leave alone until there's a reason to strip everything down?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well I really enjoy my Rey! Only thing I would have changed is going with a slightly larger bore shocks. My 10th scale race rigs have 12mm bore bodys and I really think that it would really change how the truck feels . Other then that. Home Run!
Old 11-01-2016, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Check out what I just got from Dlux Fab!

I sent this off to Erik a few weeks ago to see if he could find a way to install a larger inboard pinion bearing in it, and he did! It has a 5x13 bearing now instead of the stock 5x10 bearing. That should hold up much, much better.

Unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to enlarge the inboard pinion bearing slot in the front diff case, but it's the rear axle that really needs help, so I'm happy.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
Check out what I just got from Dlux Fab!

I sent this off to Erik a few weeks ago to see if he could find a way to install a larger inboard pinion bearing in it, and he did! It has a 5x13 bearing now instead of the stock 5x10 bearing. That should hold up much, much better.
Awesome
Old 11-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh the wonders of knowing how to CNC or machine stuff...
Looks good
Now how will the case hold up with the bigger bearing in it.
Keep us posted
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Good question, I'll just have to drive it more to find out.

He seemed amenable to making more, but he said he has no market presence outside of the crawler market and asked me to spread the word. So I'd say, if you're interested, send him an email.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

its a great idea that was my point
thanks though
Old 11-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Getting dual shocks in the rear was easy... now up front, not so much! I had to modify the lower A-arm, and then built new uppers and shock tower extension on the CNC. When I feel confident I'll try running it and seeing what I need to tweak. It does clear everything, even the steering at full swing.

I also ordered the proline 6" curved light bar and submitted a design to my paint guy who always does amazing work. Hoping to essentially replicate Lofton's Jimco TT from this year's Mint 400. I also have orange bead-lock rings for the F11s and spare lexan for an orange bumper flap. Feeling excited to get everything together.

And I got my new ESS-One + in the mail. Decided I might as well upgrade since my first one is getting distortion from running too loud a few times. Using the 3rd channel on my remote to toot custom horn sounds is very amusing
Old 11-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Does anyone have experience using silicone instant gasket / liquid gasket to help seal up the gearbox components? I am just rebuilding after melting rear pinion bearing housing (should have greased it after all!) and tempted to try and seal up on the rebuild. Virtually all my bearings are filled with grit so trying to protect the replacements a little better if possible.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Get rubber-sealed bearings instead of metal-shielded bearings. Metal-shielded bearings are not actually sealed, they just look like they are.

A piece of open-cell-foam tape along the part of the motor door where it overlaps the center gearbox will keep dirt out. Maybe not dust, but sand anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.