TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-23-2016, 10:37 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt Trimmings
Cub86 posted the question: Hi. I'm struggling to understand the lay down situation. I run on high bite damp smooth clay and think the conversation would help on my surface but from what I'm reading I need to buy the lay down kit tlr338004. And the dirt gear case tlr332063. But do I really need both from what I've read the dirt case is 1-2mm higher anyway and u don't use the +3mm hubs or the front pivot hrc or Hrc mod. So is the dirt lay down kit tlr332063 is all that's needed to get me a lay down set up that's suited for clay With the components and car I already have. And if I only get the dirt case is there any problems that will need to be addressed IE.. bone plunge . I do know I'll need 1mm spacers on the waterfall to clear the battery. Thanks guys really trying to get my head around this.

Franks response:
Laydown Conversion will work great by itself. You run the aluminum +3mm hubs, the diff is +3.5mm, and you run the HRC front setup. Just follow a setup sheet from tlracing.com (Frank Root).

Dirt Tranny has the diff at the same height as the standard tranny case, and works with the standard plastic hubs. Both are +/- 0mm from stock. When you run this, no need to run the HRC front mod either.

I've found the stock laydown conversion parts to work great for most tracks. The dirt tranny is a great tuning option, but definitely not 'required'.

K.King
Something I made, pretty basic. Just to give people an idea.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LBR_Frank
Gathering my goodies to build up a 22 3.0SR, anyone know the difference between the Tekin Gen3 17.5 and 17.5rpm?
Tekin website says the RPM is ideal for "1/12 touring car", but I see people touting its superior performance in spec buggy over the standard 17.5.
I have had success running the RPM in my 17.5. I run my car at the ROAR minimum weight. The gen3 Tekin's are exceptionally lightweight too.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
Yikes, now I am really feeling the carpet burn. $243.97 to convert a 22 3.0 to carpet buggy!
I sure hope TLR is working on a more economical option for us carpet guys. Frank, do we have any hope?
I'd try to find a TLR338004. We just sold out last week, I'm sure there are plenty in stock at hobby shops.

Originally Posted by kyle3333
Is the body used for TLR338004 the same for TLR338005?
Same shape, but we changed to a slightly thicker 0.7mm body instead of 0.5mm body based on consumer feedback.

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
Is there any situation where the HRC rear plates would be benificial? I installed the laydown kit and I run on a carpet track with small jumps and lots of corners. After I ordered the plates I looked at petite and there are NO setup sheets that use the HRC rear. I do feel my buggy leans in the corners a bit to much and lifts the inside rear wheel slightly. I hope I didn't waste my money.
I've actually liked HRC running a bit of carpet lately
Old 12-09-2016, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
Yikes, now I am really feeling the carpet burn. $243.97 to convert a 22 3.0 to carpet buggy!
I sure hope TLR is working on a more economical option for us carpet guys. Frank, do we have any hope?
I have one unopened I would be willing to sell. I bought it the day before the new dirt kit was announced. Since I race mostly on clay I am planning to hold off on the conversion and wait for the new one to come out.

PM me if interested.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I'd try to find a TLR338004. We just sold out last week, I'm sure there are plenty in stock at hobby shops.

Same shape, but we changed to a slightly thicker 0.7mm body instead of 0.5mm body based on consumer feedback.

I've actually liked HRC running a bit of carpet lately
Care to share a general setup using the HRC plates?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

What are my options for running swaybars on this buggy?? Also can the hrc blocks be used when using the +3.5 tranny and hubs?? Running the car on high bite carpet. Looking to take some role out of the car.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ryeguy
Hey there, new to this thread. Let me know if I should be posting this somewhere else. I currently run an original TLR 22. I'm looking at getting a new 2wd buggy and am weighing the 22 3.0 or the B6D. My local track said either way, guys have been having a lot of success with the lay down transmission on their buggies. It's $28 to do this to the B6D, but it's $180 for the 22 3.0. Why so much? Is the conversion needed, is there benefit to it? Any insight on if TLR will get more competitive on the price? Thanks for any insight you may have.
honestly? get the B6 or B6D..they are far cheaper and need very few mods to be competitive. i know this is a losi thread but the B6 is just better bang for buck. i just went from a very competitve 2.0 on carpet to a B6 and the B6 is night and day better right out of the box
Old 12-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I recently purchased a B6D because it was "only $28 for a laydown transmission". I ran it two race days and absolutely hated the car. (Every time I try AE I hate it!). I got looking a little closer at setup sheets of the fast AE guys....the truth is they add a bunch of stuff to make them competitive imo....hard front and rear arms, brass C block, aluminum D block, under battery weight, shock x-rings, machined bushings, chrome shock shafts, aluminum bellcranks. That stuff adds up! Mine drove like total garbage out of the box (with laydown) honestly. I had a decision to make...put a bunch of $ into it and hope it drove good or get a 22 3.0. I got a used 3.0 with laydown. Was fast first time out and much more fun to drive.

Ya it's too bad they don't have everything in one box but I'm sure they're working hard on that.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
I recently purchased a B6D because it was "only $28 for a laydown transmission". I ran it two race days and absolutely hated the car. (Every time I try AE I hate it!). I got looking a little closer at setup sheets of the fast AE guys....the truth is they add a bunch of stuff to make them competitive imo....hard front and rear arms, brass C block, aluminum D block, under battery weight, shock x-rings, machined bushings, chrome shock shafts, aluminum bellcranks. That stuff adds up! Mine drove like total garbage out of the box (with laydown) honestly. I had a decision to make...put a bunch of $ into it and hope it drove good or get a 22 3.0. I got a used 3.0 with laydown. Was fast first time out and much more fun to drive.

Ya it's too bad they don't have everything in one box but I'm sure they're working hard on that.
i ran second in the amain and set fastest lap first time out with an out of the box car with zero mods at our carpet track. the trick losi cars have faaaar more mods than a b6 . throw on some cheap tire weights to the chassis and add some swaybars..job done
Old 12-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
..the truth is they add a bunch of stuff to make them competitive imo....hard front and rear arms, brass C block, aluminum D block, under battery weight, shock x-rings, machined bushings, chrome shock shafts, aluminum bellcranks.
None of those things, individually or collectively, are the difference between competitive and not in a setup.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Keep this thread on topic. It is a Losi thread, which means this is for people looking for help with their Losi cars. If they wanted advice on other cars, they are free to search the threads for those models.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lunchie
i ran second in the amain and set fastest lap first time out with an out of the box car with zero mods at our carpet track.
That's cool. That's why they're are different manufacturers. A non tlr buggy won at the last big race here (221 entries) that's why I really wanted to try one.

Originally Posted by Davidka
None of those things, individually or collectively, are the difference between competitive and not in a setup.
I know your the tech champ, so you must be right. My opinion is the tlr has the best stuff in it out of the box, meaning they don't offer the "better" shock parts, toe blocks, etc as an option. They're already in the box.

Originally Posted by badaml
Keep this thread on topic. It is a Losi thread, which means this is for people looking for help with their Losi cars. If they wanted advice on other cars, they are free to search the threads for those models.
Nice. Real nice. 2 pages of talk about Tekin, Yokomo, a T5m, 3 gear vs. 4 gear and now you want to put your foot down. Seemed like a constructive conversation. It's a TLR 22 3.0 thread btw.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

agreed, keep it on topic,

that said, yes, the tlr car can be expensive to get in the laydown form. however, the b6 is not the end all be all, there are ton of configurations to make the car work, its not "open box, build, add 28 dollar laydown, be super fast, win"...there are gull wing arms, straight arms, metal this, schelle that, jconcepts whatever....wich is not to say the car is bad, but it isnt the magic bullet,

buy what you feel comfortable with and enjoy it
Old 12-10-2016, 05:34 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Nice. Real nice. 2 pages of talk about Tekin, Yokomo, a T5m, 3 gear vs. 4 gear and now you want to put your foot down. Seemed like a constructive conversation. It's a TLR 22 3.0 thread btw.[/QUOTE]

smart off to one of my mods again, and you will no longer have the privilege of site membership.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Question regarding the evolution of the laydown: prior to its availability, was anyone running a base standup setup that called for having the battery in the forward most position on dirt?
Old 12-10-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Question regarding the evolution of the laydown: prior to its availability, was anyone running a base standup setup that called for having the battery in the forward most position on dirt?
I think Frank did a few times, but mainly in the middle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.