Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree27Likes

Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: AmiSMB
Welcome to the Schumacher K2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add tips and tricks as well as any information that you would feel is beneficial for everyone to know.

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Help I Keep Breaking Front Arms

With the K2 Schumacher sarted using an adjustable hub design that required
a relief cut in the arms for the steering knuckle to clear. The easiest solution
until a revised arm is to run the old style arms without the relief cut. Run the
hubs in the High position and set your steering end points down so the steering knuckles don't hit.

SCHU3597
SCHU3407 MED Flex

There is a newer batch of the SCHU3407 wishbones which correct the weakness in the previous front arms.

Suggested upgrades/spares
Strongly suggest to buy 10° alloy front alloy pivot blocks-U3556 the A & B front plastic pivot blocks-U4798 will break soon.

Have some shock seats spares, alloy v1-U3611, plastic-U3937, alloy v2 (off-road)-U4890

Have some spare shock shafts available U3668 & U3669
MIP pucks an Excellent option!

Misc

Other wheels that fit apart from the Schumacher wheels
Losi 22-4 wheels will fit on the front the rears will work as well!
AE b4, b5 & b6 will fit on the rear
Be sure to lock tight the track screws and rear strap this is a must!!!

AE (12mm) and KYO fronts will work with .5mm spacer - available through AVID

Don't buy the purple titanium turnbuckles as an upgrade there thread is too small and they wander too much. Lunsford Super-duty titanium turnbuckles fit very well they are 3.5mm threads. Get the 1 3/4", 2 1/8" & 57mm lengths. I did not replace the Centre Track Rod.

** When running the Super Duty turnbuckles with the stock captured ball ends, be sure to check for binding in the front steering and camber links after each run - tumbles and glances off the pipes cause them to flex and slightly twist and can bind up the front suspension ... The fix? - simply take a turnbuckle wrench and twist the link back and then forward to it's original positon .. consider doing this as a maintenance step after each run ..

Suggested Gearing

5.5 - indoor high bite clay 83/20 (+/- 1 tooth for layout and conditions etc)
13.5 At SRS Arizona I ran 75/28 buggy was quick! RCM lockout worked great!
17.5 - FDR between 5-6 depending on track. E.g. 35/66 down to 30/69 slipper eliminator in use. Different options within the thread. I use B5M exotek eliminator and file it to fit.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone know the dry weight of the Cat K2?
Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iJRacing
Anyone know the dry weight of the Cat K2?
Not sure what you mean. Never heard that saying “Dry weight”
However, Stock with electronics body wheels, everything around 1770-1800 full size shorty

Carbon chassis -80g

I’ve titanium turnbuckles & screws & BEZERK RC carbon chassis which is 8g lighter then the Schumacher carbon too also a light ESC got it at 1650, it’s beautiful.

yI race in stock classes and it’s one of the fastest cars for that purpose.

I don’t have chassis stiffeners +15g, I do have a fan. No optional alloy upper diff housing, too heavy and not needed. I also have a slipper eliminator so I lose 35g of rotating mass right there the 4 pad slipper is about 40g you can just use 2 pads though and lose a little weight there.

What’s your intended use? What class? Mod, 13.5t, other?
Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Truck is almost done...need to glue tires ,change rear springs and spring clips and put different body posts on the front
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher's new K2 4wd buggy ..!-1007171326-1328x747.jpg  
Old 10-08-2017, 03:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the detailed response.
Dry weight I mean as the kit comes...no electronics etc, but your reply more than answers my curiosity.
I am looking to get into 1/10 racing...only ever done 1/8, so looking at various different cars.

QUOTE=Volition;15045747]Not sure what you mean. Never heard that saying “Dry weight”
However, Stock with electronics body wheels, everything around 1770-1800 full size shorty

Carbon chassis -80g

I’ve titanium turnbuckles & screws & BEZERK RC carbon chassis which is 8g lighter then the Schumacher carbon too also a light ESC got it at 1650, it’s beautiful.

I don’t have chassis stiffeners +15g, I do have a fan. No optional alloy upper diff housing, too heavy and not needed. I also have a slipper eliminator so I lose 35g of rotating mass right there the 4 pad slipper is about 40g you can just use 2 pads though and lose a little weight there.

What’s your intended use? What class? Mod, 13.5t, other?[/QUOTE]
Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just wanted to see if I could build it...once I have think about it it,it will stay in my head until I build it...can't wait until I drive it
Old 10-10-2017, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

can I recomend highly you start with a 2wd.

A person who can drive 2wd can drive anything. But not always the other way around. Learning how to drive a 2wd buggy will improve your rc game consideranly. And it's cheaper to boot and often more competitive.

Originally Posted by iJRacing
Thanks for the detailed response.
Dry weight I mean as the kit comes...no electronics etc, but your reply more than answers my curiosity.
I am looking to get into 1/10 racing...only ever done 1/8, so looking at various different cars.

QUOTE=Volition;15045747]Not sure what you mean. Never heard that saying “Dry weight”

Carbon chassis -80g

What’s your intended use? What class? Mod, 13.5t, other?
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-10-2017, 05:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Volition
can I recomend highly you start with a 2wd.

A person who can drive 2wd can drive anything. But not always the other way around. Learning how to drive a 2wd buggy will improve your rc game consideranly. And it's cheaper to boot and often more competitive.
This is a fairly common recommendation that I see too often which defies logic IMO... while I agree that the lower cost can be more appealing, however I would only recommend 2WD for first timers on a medium to high traction surface.

I first got into racing in the Stock 2WD SCT class and it was perfect for a medium traction indoor clay track, often with a C Main... however after the track shut down (due to insane fire code violations) and we were forced to start racing on outdoor 1/8 tracks with wildly varying traction conditions, then it didn't take long for the class to die.

What I have observed is that it takes the average person in my area about 1-2 years to learn how to properly tune a car for their driving style and 2WD is by far the most sensitive to tuning adjustments, especially on dry loose pack conditions... I've seen many 2WD drivers come and go quickly from the hobby, but it's those who have adapted to 4WD first and slowly learn how to tune over the course of 1-2 years, those are the folks who stay and eventually go back to 2WD once their all around skills have sharpened.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What parts are required to achieve 4 degrees of rear toe? And are the 7.5 front yokes only available in aluminum? Last question is if I want emulsion shocks should I buy the vented caps or the top caps for the KD and KC?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwalsh
What parts are required to achieve 4 degrees of rear toe? And are the 7.5 front yokes only available in aluminum? Last question is if I want emulsion shocks should I buy the vented caps or the top caps for the KD and KC?
Considering the toe blocks are the same as the KC I assume you could use U4719 to achieve 4deg. Although I've never heard of anyone doing this

Yes 7.5 are alloy only

U4209 caps would be easier. if you use the KC/KD caps you'll have to change the top mount to the ball style
Old 10-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Considering the toe blocks are the same as the KC I assume you could use U4719 to achieve 4deg. Although I've never heard of anyone doing this

Yes 7.5 are alloy only

U4209 caps would be easier. if you use the KC/KD caps you'll have to change the top mount to the ball style
Thanks for the reply. I race on a very low grip bumby track and saw one setup where they ran 4 rear toe and commented on the set up sheet that it made a big difference. If I go this route maybe I should just build the kit stock and go from there. I believe this platform is about 2 years old so I have been waiting to see if something new is coming anytime soon?
Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There seemed to be some development early on when they were changing the servo mount to find more flex. I'm guessing they found just changing the thickness of the rear top deck worked great. It did. It worked for increasing durability as well. I stopped breaking parts once the flex was added. As much as I enjoy buying new cars and building them, this is my fastest car, even more so than my XB4.

I have a question. Why do people seem to like emulsion setups? I come from a real world suspension company. We prided ourselves on building inverted monotube coilovers that are much closer in design to bladder shocks. When I build shocks (rc) with bladders, they feel way more consistent and smooth. The addition of air to the shock is inconsistent and the squishy sound it makes is maddening! Please explain.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

I prefer the “vented” style myself. Meaning bleeding excess oil through the bleeder screw. I’m willing to bet this is being referred to as emulsion kore often than not. I’m not a fan of actual emulsion like the old days.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am with you on scratching my head as to why people run emulsion shocks (or what Tony is referring to as "vented"). If you have an engineering background, having worked for a company making full scale shocks, you may find this an interesting read if you haven't run into it yet:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-9X...?usp=drive_web

The "net" is that emulsion shocks end up giving you a bit of a spring effect because of the air mixed in. Well supported bladder shocks make for more consistent damping according to his tests/data on the dyno. "Well supported" means the bladder either has some structural support behind it (foam) or has a sealed cap (no venting). I know Tessman ran his HB shocks with bladders in 1/10. He kept the bleeder screws out of the caps and then cut out small discs of scotchbrite pad to provide some support under the cap.

I personally run the bladders in all my Schuey shocks that come with the kits and in the rebuild kits: U3667. They make an "HD" version of the bladders that are a thicker rubber. You can probably run these without bleeder screws in the caps they are so firm. Part #U3782

The main advantages of building the shocks this way to me are the lower maintenance and the consistency. You end up not having to fill/top off as often because as the oil escapes past the seals in the bottom over time the volume lost is taken up as air space behind the bladder. And to get them back to how you want them in terms of rebound (either positive or negative) you just crack the bleeder screws and then position the piston where you want before sealing the bleeder screw again. You can build a pretty neutral shock or one that has negative or positive rebound depending on where the piston is when you seal it.

The worst part of emulsion shocks is actually having to "emulsify" them manually before you throw it down. Otherwise the first part of your run will be spent mixing the air into the shocks.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Your aware vented and emulsion are completely different ways of building shocks? Mine have no air in them like your describing. Vented, as schumacher refers to that style, is what 90% of the cars we race use.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

By "emulsion" style build I am referring to the way you see most people building 1/10th shocks right now. The process is typically like:
  • Fill the shock
  • Install the cap without the bleeder screw
  • Move piston to top of stroke to bleed
  • Install bleeder screw (seal cap)
  • Pump the shock 20-30 times
  • Remove bleeder screw and re-bleed, then seal
Is your procedure for a "vented" build different than that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.