Like Tree82Likes

Hot Bodies D216 1/10 2WD Buggy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
I race TLR and HB, I welcome the offset lol. Although I wish all manufacturers could agree on something universal.
Part of why 1/8th is so popular as you can run the same rims on any brand. If 1/8th car companies can figure it out why can't the same 1/10th companies figure it out.
tc5 man likes this.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:27 AM
Tech Adept

EDIT: wrong thread.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Well I thought I finished my D216. I kinda wish I had researched slipper options before buying, because no matter what I do it slips. Tightened all the way, loosen 6 turns & wow that thing slips the moment I squeeze the throttle - in fact it doesn’t really drive anywhere over about 25-30% throttle.

My SC5M works fine with its included VTS slipper.

My T5M has an Avid Evo Triad installed & that’s easily my favorite.

So I’ve some understanding of these things & have built them successfully before. I’m running an SMC 8.5 turn mod motor. Like I said, this thing slips no matter what. I’ve tightened it down to the point where the spring is compressed all the way & it still slips. My thought is that these pads are too smooth.

If you’re wondering, I have taken it apart to ensure each piece is right where it should be & still have no luck. Was going to spend half the day practicing but clearly that isn’t in the cards this week.

Weirdo proprietary system for what practical reason? I prefer Avid but y’all seem to be driving these buggies so I know there is a way. Definitely not driving 40 miles to the track and asking them for help with a buggy I bought online.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sounds like it's assembled incorrectly. I'd take it apart and double check the manual upon reassembly. I recall reading something about others having the same problem and it was due to something being installed backwards. Sorry for the vague reply, but thought it may help. Possibly it's the small black machined collars that go in the ends of the spring. The shallow side goes into the spring and the deep side faces out. Opposite of what you may expect.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

That’s it 100% - thank you, I probably would have had it apart 3 more times before checking those little washers that encapsulate the spring. My brain insisted the diagram had the deeper side facing into the spring. All seems good with the buggy; got extra drivetrain & steering parts as those are what I usually break first.

Now I can definitely hit MHOR RC today!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josey5K
Well I thought I finished my D216. I kinda wish I had researched slipper options before buying, because no matter what I do it slips. Tightened all the way, loosen 6 turns & wow that thing slips the moment I squeeze the throttle - in fact it doesn’t really drive anywhere over about 25-30% throttle.

My SC5M works fine with its included VTS slipper.

My T5M has an Avid Evo Triad installed & that’s easily my favorite.

So I’ve some understanding of these things & have built them successfully before. I’m running an SMC 8.5 turn mod motor. Like I said, this thing slips no matter what. I’ve tightened it down to the point where the spring is compressed all the way & it still slips. My thought is that these pads are too smooth.

If you’re wondering, I have taken it apart to ensure each piece is right where it should be & still have no luck. Was going to spend half the day practicing but clearly that isn’t in the cards this week.

Weirdo proprietary system for what practical reason? I prefer Avid but y’all seem to be driving these buggies so I know there is a way. Definitely not driving 40 miles to the track and asking them for help with a buggy I bought online.

Any advice or ideas would be appreciated.
Id clean and reassemble very carefully. Both of mine work perfect. Some pics here may help.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

I have been assembling mine and I am not thrilled with the instruction manual. The pictures do not always clearly show the orientation of some of the parts. I just did the slipper assembly last night and now it appears I will have to redo it. It looked to me like the collars both face the same direction, i.e. the side on the gearbox had the shallow end in the spring and the side with the bolt had the deeper end in the spring. So it should be the shallow end of the collar that mates with the spring?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josey5K
That’s it 100% - thank you, I probably would have had it apart 3 more times before checking those little washers that encapsulate the spring. My brain insisted the diagram had the deeper side facing into the spring. All seems good with the buggy; got extra drivetrain & steering parts as those are what I usually break first.

Now I can definitely hit MHOR RC today!
No problem. Glad you got it sorted. Have fun!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

How could you guys compare the D216 to the Xray XB2. I understand their designs are very different but I have not seen much review about the HB buggy. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by yxiaocheng
How could you guys compare the D216 to the Xray XB2. I understand their designs are very different but I have not seen much review about the HB buggy. Thanks!
Easy for me, I built both. What are you asking?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz
Easy for me, I built both. What are you asking?
He probably is asking to compare handling and maybe quality?

Since these are now on sale, could be fun to build one.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i heard once these cars have a very weak gear. Idler? can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not necessarily weak. Just seems to wear faster than most. Try and keep a few as spares if you can
Old 11-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

The idler is fine. Just put some grease on it. A very thin film of ep graphite grease is on all of mine and I have no issues with stock and aftermarket idlers.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
He probably is asking to compare handling and maybe quality?

Since these are now on sale, could be fun to build one.
Both drove nice out of the box. The d216 was just better overall. The xray has an exotic tamiya feel of a toy, the d216 feels like the formula 1 of buggy. The build quality and appearance is better on the d216. The xray is still a very nice piece, but the d216 pulls ahead easily especially with the sale prices. Nothing comes close at this price and maybe even at dull price.

The xray is a tad more predictable with the alum chassis. The d216 flexes more and is a little less predictable.

The d216 shocks are the best in the business. The xray are nice but no comparo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.