Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sad story:  Cheating rampant at big races... >

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer723
I don't say anything because I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't run stock. I'm not going to save them from themselves. It's funny and ridiculous and good entertainment for us mod guys.
Hopefully it's still a friendly thread.....but with all this talk about my favorite class.....when do y'all practice?.....lol....I got out of mod for this reason....and only run stock......25 yrs of racing and this will never change....I LOVE THIS THREAD.....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Homer723
I don't say anything because I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't run stock. I'm not going to save them from themselves. It's funny and ridiculous and good entertainment for us mod guys.
Yep, funny up until 2/3rds of them leave because they don't want to race anymore, then another 1/2 of the mod guys leave because a track with such low turnout is a "lame scene" and your track closes.

This might be more important to you, the invested modified racer than it is to the casual stock racer who's frustrated with it. They can have Xbox the way they want, every single time.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Flyingjalapeno
Hopefully it's still a friendly thread.....but with all this talk about my favorite class.....when do y'all practice?.....lol....I got out of mod for this reason....and only run stock......25 yrs of racing and this will never change....I LOVE THIS THREAD.....
Got out of mod because you can't practice enough... Ask for sportsman class and run a 10.5- 13.5. Problem solved.

Stock= a class with a bunch of unregulated rules, which makes people wonder if the guy next to them is cheating which leads to bad feel at the track. Even if all tracks said ok, we'll tech... Two weeks later they will be skipping tech because nobody wants to pull all motors out and apart...

Too much work for a club toy car race on a weekday night... Who wants to go through that every week. Then you also have the whole program slowed down for stock tech...

Stock should only be for fast local drivers that want to go to a big multi-day race where they can properly tech and don't have the skill/resources/etc to run against the pros.

Even then, would be so much easier... Novice, sportsman, expert.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by Hacksback; 08-08-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Misread post
Old 08-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by locked
I think stock in offroad is stupid.
So is watching half the field make mistake after mistake because they can't handle the power everyone has convinced them they need.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hacksback
Got out of mod because you can't practice enough... Ask for sportsman class and run a 10.5- 13.5. Problem solved.

Stock= a class with a bunch of unregulated rules, which makes people wonder if the guy next to them is cheating which leads to bad feel at the track. Even if all tracks said ok, we'll tech... Two weeks later they will be skipping tech because nobody wants to pull all motors out and apart...

Too much work for a club toy car race on a weekday night... Who wants to go through that every week. Then you also have the whole program slowed down for stock tech...

Stock should only be for fast local drivers that want to go to a big multi-day race where they can properly tech and don't have the skill/resources/etc to run against the pros.

Why not just random tech one guy a night/week? Cars are on the grid for the main and you simply say "qualifier X you will be teched at the end of the main, bring your car directly to the shop", or where ever. Then no one in the A main (check the B main if you want) knows who will be teched before they put their car down on the grid. You don't need to check them all or every time. The fear that it might happen is enough for most to not cheat or stop cheating.

Big races, sure check the whole main. Club racing, you only need to kill one roach and the rest will scatter.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asc6000
So is watching half the field make mistake after mistake because they can't handle the power everyone has convinced them they need.
So much easier to recommend them to put a slower motor in then to try and tech everyone. If they don't... their loss. It's everyone's loss when racers are bitter because someone might be cheating.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Rotflmao......no....got out of mod because I blew my budget on faster motors and bigger
better batteries.....had all the practice I wanted......just didn't like mod....I do very well in stock....finished top 5 every A-main I was in....
Old 08-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812
Why not just random tech one guy a night/week? Cars are on the grid for the main and you simply say "qualifier X you will be teched at the end of the main, bring your car directly to the shop", or where ever. Then no one in the A main (check the B main if you want) knows who will be teched before they put their car down on the grid. You don't need to check them all or every time. The fear that it might happen is enough for most to not cheat or stop cheating.

Big races, sure check the whole main. Club racing, you only need to kill one roach and the rest will scatter.
That is a good idea. It would really help with the 'burden' of tech and how long it would take.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

So much easier to recommend them to put a slower motor in then to try and tech everyone. If they don't... their loss. It's everyone's loss when racers are bitter because someone might be cheating.
That leaves the assumption that a group of racers think one or a select few racers may be cheating. So why not tech those in question?

Hmm rules are written, tech is done to make sure the rules are being followed. When did this become such a novel idea?

If the track or racers don't want to be bothered with teching, fine. Then don't even offer spec/stock classes.

I personally don't see cheating as being "rampant" as someone might think based on this thread.

If your track is full of cheaters. Your track and the morals of those involved are what's "broken" not the class or rules.

You're all free to carry on. I've said my piece until Wild Cherry can put together a valid response to my questions.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

That is a good idea. It would really help with the 'burden' of tech and how long it would take.
I'll agree all day long that there's no way it's reasonable to tech everyone, every week for a club race. That would be insane!

If a track has multiple classes that run stock rules, SCT and buggy, you still only need to check one car a week.

Ya word gets around the web about a cheaters at big races but they can go home and sing a song about how they were screwed over and they were legal blah blah. When you bust a local club racer at his track, where is he gonna go? Likely he won't have anywhere else to go. So the fear of getting busted as a cheater on the club level is huge.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Why did they even start making "stock" motors with the ability to open, tamper and change timing on them? To me that's the dumbest mistake of all.

The ONLY way stock will survive is to have a sealed can motor, bushings to keep cost down and maybe fixed timing.

Back in the good ol days, stock motors where much cheaper than a hand wound mod. They were press sealed cans with tabs, bushings only and machined wound rotors. 50 bucks for the hot new motor. Sure you could tinker with the brushes, cheat the comm a little but the bang for the buck in cheated motors was minimal compared to a "modded stock motor" nowadays.

WTF happened to that idea following suite to the brushless era? Stock was for all classes of drivers but it was to "equalize" the equipment somewhat and keep costs down. FAR from what it is today....waaaaay far...
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
Why did they even start making "stock" motors with the ability to open, tamper and change timing on them? To me that's the dumbest mistake of all.

The ONLY way stock will survive is to have a sealed can motor, bushings to keep cost down and maybe fixed timing.

WTF happened to that idea following suite to the brushless era? Stock was for all classes of drivers but it was to "equalize" the equipment somewhat and keep costs down. FAR from what it is today....waaaaay far...
Bushings don't bring cost down, they drive them up. Bearings last (not to mention costing only pennies these days) and keep the motor useable for longer, so do rebuildable motors. A $100 b/l stock motor is cheaper to run that 2x$40 motors and lasts as long as 6+ of them, ditto lipo vs a suitcase full of 6-cell packs that are slower after 6-8 weeks of racing.

Brushless has made all electric r/c better than at any time in its previous history.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yep genius idea!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If this, if that. The things you're suggesting will never happen, if they ever do, I would be happy to have you come back and say "I told you so"
If stock is to survive, this is the exact way it has to go.

“We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” - Vince Lombardi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.