Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sad story:  Cheating rampant at big races... >

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Exact reason why I stopped attending this race. My trip to HRH is about 5 hours and when I raced last year, I knew there were several people cheating (they ended up on the podium) and nothing was done about it. I figured why make the trip if I'm going to race against a bunch of cheaters. This should have been a long time ago.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skengines
Exact reason why I stopped attending this race. ... I knew there were several people cheating ... nothing was done about it. ... a bunch of cheaters.
Not arguing or disagreeing; 'how' exactly did you know (as opposed to speculate) several people were cheating? Was there some rampant conversation taking place by the parties involved or open illegal modification of stock equipment taking place out in the open? Was this information brought to the race directors attention and, if so, was anything done after being alerted?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

A solution?

http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....ry&path=72_105

http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....product_id=268

Designed by the same people who pioneered the tech and wrote the rules for R/C’s most successful racing class ever, 27 T rebuildable brushed Stock!

AVAILABLE FOR HAND OUT MOTOR RACING!

Let’s face it, brushless motor technology has got to the point where no one can walk into a hobby shop, buy a motor and speedo and go racing. Laptops, gauss meters, 3 or four different rotors endless speed controls and of course the knowledge of timing your motor and speedo without destroying the motor in a single run is also needed.

Team Epic is introducing the “Monster Locked” brushless motor for spec and handout motor racing venues. Set up a “locked” spec class with a zero timing speedo spec and use it to grow the racing in your area. No expensive laptops to bring to the track, way less expensive speedos and more fun racing.

Ever wonder what happened to those hundreds of stock racers that used to show up at the big races. They were simply driven away by high technology and costs. Use the “Monster Locked” to bring the sanity back to your racing program.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Why race stock?
-less tire wear
-less drivetrain wear- you are not rebuilding your ball diff every week
-its the largest class constantly at our track
-I like the other folks that race stock

My motor is a 3 year old RevTech 17.5 and it is still highly competitive. I set my R10 to blinky several years ago and have not touched it since. ProMatch batteries are around $63 for a 90c shorty. All in all, for me, stock is a fun racing experience that I can have once per week without excessive tuning and rebuilding. And the bonus of not wearing out a set of barcodes every week is really nice. My only stock-specific yearly expense is 2 new batteries.

Not all stock drivers are cheaters. If you want to run mod, run mod, but there's no reason to bash those who don't want to. I fully support tech inspections but there will always be cheaters, no matter what you do in life.

The motor builders who are making illegal motors and rotors for 17.5 are really the ones to blame. Back in the handout days, all serious drivers would buy as many motors as they could afford and test them to see which was the fastest. Racers are always looking for an edge.

Having printed rules for all classes so racers know the rules and a solid tech inspection program is really the only solution.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Yes it can be done and done well...

Locked timing already, already has great price point.

Now simply modify the sensor board to only output and not input timing, spec a single rotor with long shaft like Trinity tried to do with the monster locks, seal can like old brushed motor days and we have a great stock class specification!

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...rushless-motor
Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

The biggest problem is not with motors, it is with sandbaggers running stock class that should have been kicked up to Mod years ago. Case in point, not naming any names here, but local chassis sponsored Kyosho driver who gets prototype parts, uses (ahem) a different gearing scheme them anyone else, almost is never not on a podium. Why would a track owner who know this is a fact allow him to still run stock? To me if your a chassis sponsored driver, don't sandbag, move up to an appropriate class and stay there.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

unfortunately chassis sponsored and good driver dont go together sometimes.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

I have witness many drivers that are sponsored at some level running stock. Sometimes it is to test out new equipment say a 17.5 motor? It may be to test out other new parts and batteries.... This happens at the club level often.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skengines
Exact reason why I stopped attending this race. My trip to HRH is about 5 hours and when I raced last year, I knew there were several people cheating (they ended up on the podium) and nothing was done about it. I figured why make the trip if I'm going to race against a bunch of cheaters. This should have been a long time ago.
I also attended last year and ran both 17.5 and 13.5 buggy. Finished 5th in 17.5 and 10th in 13.5. Nobody jumped out to me as cheating. I got beat by better drivers, drivers that race alot more than I do, and drivers that call Hot Rod home.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Stock class is a complete joke and should be abolished. All that time, effort and expense just to keep some expert drivers running cars that are now nearly as fast as mod cars. Makes perfect sense.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am pretty sure that most of the fast guys at that track run modified rotors and this race is no exception. Why not, nothing in the rules that says you can't. from the entry from:

"All Classes are 17.5 motor with no timing and no boost"

I see nothing about ROAR rules or approvals.
I was at this event as it is my home track. In fact 100% accurate. at this years stock nats, Cans were announced that they would be spot checked (announced but not done to my knowedge), batteries were checked for voltage, weight and blinky checked. But an announcement was made before the race specifically saying that rotors would not be checked that mod rotors could be ran.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have not really heard any good arguments against the "open class only" with bumps and sorting. Seems like such an easy solution. The novice class for the new and lower skilled drivers and mod for the rest.
Exactly.

My solution is even easier. I'm selling my SC10 and B4. Not going to race 2wd offroad anymore if this is the kind of stuff I have to deal with..
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
The biggest problem is not with motors, it is with sandbaggers running stock class that should have been kicked up to Mod years ago. Case in point, not naming any names here, but local chassis sponsored Kyosho driver who gets prototype parts, uses (ahem) a different gearing scheme them anyone else, almost is never not on a podium. Why would a track owner who know this is a fact allow him to still run stock? To me if your a chassis sponsored driver, don't sandbag, move up to an appropriate class and stay there.
Started recently sportsman stock and expert stock at OCRC. This has helped. Hope this plan sticks.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Exactly.

My solution is even easier. I'm selling my SC10 and B4. Not going to race 2wd offroad anymore if this is the kind of stuff I have to deal with..
I would get into ebuggy, but its dead here and no one wants to race in 113 deg weather, lol.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by HBRob
Started recently sportsman stock and expert stock at OCRC. This has helped. Hope this plan sticks.
The everybody gets a trophy plan....TNS has 3 levels of stock buggy...this is only adding to the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.