Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sad story:  Cheating rampant at big races... >

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Sad story: Cheating rampant at big races...

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f...lass_cheaters/

What's worst, IMO, are the ones that buy "ROAR legal" motors, do not tamper with them and have an illegal motor. What the heck you say?

Seven drivers in 17.5 divisions, and two more in 13.5 classes, were DQ’d for various motor rule violations.
Three drivers were caught with illegal motors that were purchased from the hobby shop without being tempered with. One of them was marked as “ROAR-legal” but contained an illegal rotor.
Two drivers were caught with 13.5-turn stators installed in 17.5-turn cans. One driver insisted he had purchased his motor this way.
At least one driver installed a non-ROAR legal stator into a ROAR-legal motor
At least one driver installed a ROAR-legal modified-class rotor into a ROAR-legal spec motor
At least one driver installed a larger-than-legal rotor into a spec motor.
One driver that was called to tech inspection had a motor that had been glued together and could not be torn down for inspection. After being told that his run would be disqualified, the racer cut off the can with a Dremel - and the internals were found to be legal.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love it! Bout time someone took a stand!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Anyone care to guess which brand motors?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

tekin !
Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

I would like to know which motors and who the guys were. If your caught cheating everyone should know.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Not surprised. Cheating is as American as apple pie.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Rookie

This is my second season of racing, in my very first race in stock SC (17.5t limit). I was talking to a guy on the driver's stand he said he had a 13.5t motor and considered it stock and used it for the entire day. I think he was relevantly new to racing but he pitted with a guy that knew what he was doing.

Being new at the track and not wanting to create waves, I didn't say anything. The guy didn't finish in the top 3 anyway. My track is pretty laid back and never checks anyone's car. But it still sucks when people cheat or bend the rules so they have an advantage over the rest of the playing field.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Back when I ran Dirt Oval, there was a rule if you were caught cheating, your motor would be seized, and you would be banned from all Spec/stock/limited classes.

Personally if you have to cheat to win, then you deserve the consequences if/when your caught. Every person I've ever known that raced stock or spec classes that won were legal.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

The guy that beat me in Sportsman Stock this weekend had a 7.5 but I think he would have beat me regardless. I think the motor slowed him down. Cars are so fast now that I think that races should be done by class without restriction to anything other than weight and voltage. Who really cares? Classes should be Rookie/Novice, Sportsman, Expert, and maybe Pro. I know guys with motor sponsors who get "special" motors. It is ridiculous. Another approach is to have everybody qualify for classes. People are going to cheat no matter what you do. So either they're going to motor up or sandbag.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

It's good to see that the cheaters got caught. It never ceases to amaze me what lengths some guys go to, to win...... :/
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Great thread my local track started teching since this weekend and thankfully none were found cheating .

Curious though if the packaged motors were illegal, the motors should be off the approved list correct? What are the chances that these 'mistakes' were not made in the motor sold in any LHS?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
What's worst, IMO, are the ones that buy "ROAR legal" motors, do not tamper with them and have an illegal motor. What the heck you say?
Tech your own equipment.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Tech Legend

Its a 13.5 ?

My biggest apologies !!!

I installed the wrong motor ...Lol
Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I watched a "stock" SCT pull a blow over wheelie from a standing start one race. All I will ask for at the WRL races this winter is they check battery voltage. I know they won't but I will ask.
Blake
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Glad to see them take a stand.

Maybe they can start checking esc's too. Ive heard of spec software being leaked out there that shows as blinky but can be boosted. Thats the rumor I hear.

17.5 is so expensive now. Common now with all these certidied and 1500+ rotored motors to be over 150 dollars not to mention all the light weight goodies and 100c packs. Stock spec class is the most expensive class to run.

I am learning to drive/love mod. lol...the cost is just so much cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.