Wiki Posts
Search

cut gears in stock class???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default cut gears in stock class???

can some one please exsplain to me what and how this is done and if it is worth the efort.

i see people post things saying they have cut gears in the trany and i am having a hard time finding any information on this if some one could clue me in that would be great.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Basically all you do is cut the width of the idler gear and diff gear (and maybe top shaft in some cases?) lower so that there is less surface area, thus less rolling resistance in the transmission, thus more punch out of the motor.

If I told you some of the things I heard folks were doing at CRCRC (major race recently) it would make you barf. Stock class at the regional and national level is a joke. Racers with motors that are so tweaked they are often pitched after one race. Racers having 15-20 motors ready to be burnt for just that event. Charging packs at 20-30amps to get more power... the list goes on. Stock class is a money pit, and racers who propagate this nonsense should be ashamed of yourselves. Stock class should be for newer racers, and it is now filled with old men with terrible spending problems.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
Basically all you do is cut the width of the idler gear and diff gear (and maybe top shaft in some cases?) lower so that there is less surface area, thus less rolling resistance in the transmission, thus more punch out of the motor.

If I told you some of the things I heard folks were doing at CRCRC (major race recently) it would make you barf. Stock class at the regional and national level is a joke. Racers with motors that are so tweaked they are often pitched after one race. Racers having 15-20 motors ready to be burnt for just that event. Charging packs at 20-30amps to get more power... the list goes on. Stock class is a money pit, and racers who propagate this nonsense should be ashamed of yourselves. Stock class should be for newer racers, and it is now filled with old men with terrible spending problems.
well put
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I have the cut gears but I haven't run them yet. I bought them to lower the rotating mass. I do have a spare 17.5 but I have that for the B5m I pre-ordered. Speed racing products is where I bought my gears from. I've also heard of people charging a 2s battery at 3s as well. My stuff has to last so I charge at 1c and the motor is legal because I don't want to replace it.
Blake
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I think they would for sure be worth it in 17.5, its old tech for some oval guys. That and an aluminum top shaft and you are in business

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joelwhite
I think they would for sure be worth it in 17.5, its old tech for some oval guys. That and an aluminum top shaft and you are in business

I'll second this. Great guys to deal with. I've ordered several sets from them, always arrive super fast and cut great. Super smooth transmission action. I also use the aluminum top shaft, as well as the MIP Pucks system. Triad Slipper also weighs less than the vts slipper on the b4.x. lower that rotational mass!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Do they have gears for TLR cars?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

Its also less weight. The gears in themselves don't do too much but when you run a slipper eliminator your free up a lot of rotating mass and weight. That's what's so awesome about the MIP Pucks system. The whole drivetrain becomes light weight becauise the whole thing down to the shafts are aluminum.

Most of you guys that are whining about the competition in stock must be mediocre drivers like me. I buy the best of everything and better drivers still beat me with clapped out junk cars with old motors. I could buy one run motors but it wouldn't make me any faster. You really have to be an incredible driver for a motor to really help you. Unless you're at that sponsored/pro level any decent motor will be enough. If you have pros running sportsman and stock they are stupid because they don't get contingency money from sponsors. My friend won SS Stadium Truck at the Cactus in 2013 and he didn't get squat from Kyosho, Shurrspeed, or JConcepts.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

No, I have not been able to find anything but the AE gears.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jsrocket13
Do they have gears for TLR cars?
I was thinkin though, but Im not sure. But i wouldnt think it would be all that hard for someone with some skills on a lathe or mill to run down some kit parts.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thanks Joel I found the web site and nothing but the good thing is, is a friend of mine has a machine shop and has done work for me on some of my carpet oval cars looks like it's time to call him again.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Does anyone do this for Tlr stuff?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

From my PRS1. Wrenching is my stress release
Attached Thumbnails cut gears in stock class???-image.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Even worse is SPONSORED drivers racing in the stock class. I raced the stock buggy and truck class at OCRC last year and it was full of factory drivers.

It gave the newcomers to the hobby absolutely ZERO chance of making the upper mains.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
Its also less weight. The gears in themselves don't do too much but when you run a slipper eliminator your free up a lot of rotating mass and weight. That's what's so awesome about the MIP Pucks system. The whole drivetrain becomes light weight becauise the whole thing down to the shafts are aluminum.

Most of you guys that are whining about the competition in stock must be mediocre drivers like me. I buy the best of everything and better drivers still beat me with clapped out junk cars with old motors. I could buy one run motors but it wouldn't make me any faster. You really have to be an incredible driver for a motor to really help you. Unless you're at that sponsored/pro level any decent motor will be enough. If you have pros running sportsman and stock they are stupid because they don't get contingency money from sponsors. My friend won SS Stadium Truck at the Cactus in 2013 and he didn't get squat from Kyosho, Shurrspeed, or JConcepts.

and where do you find slipper eliminators?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.