Wiki Posts
Search

cut gears in stock class???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wisconsinbasher
so i just checked out that speed racing products and they really dont have much for the 22 2.0 actually they have nothing if some one could point me in the right direction it sounds like i need to drop about 200.00 into my trany to have a chance at a big race
Just think about that $0.00 return from winning that big race on your $200.00 investment.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wild gopher
Just think about that $0.00 return from winning that big race on your $200.00 investment.
You obviously don't have the winning spirit. Sheesh, why not just bash?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
While i don't disagree with what you say i will point out that there is kind of a natural order to things.

New drivers are going to hit stuff, including other cars no matter what class they are in. It happens. It's our job as experienced drivers to anticipate that and try and avoid it.

After newer drivers are winning in novice they need to be pushed out into mod. Couple reasons. Unlike stock it's not cost prohibitive to have your car go as fast as others. It pushes drivers to focus on driving and setup as opposed to finding the fastest cheater motor they can buy. Stock has and always will be an arms race to a point, and can discourage newer drivers from sticking with it because of all the $$ they "think" they need to spend to keep up.

Most tracks have at least a couple of heats of mod on a given night. The race director should be splitting the experienced guys and the newer guys up during qualifying to limit issues. Making the "A" gives a goal to strive for.

The ideal progression IMO would be novice.. 2w short course... mod buggy... 1/8th. but that never happens. Stock buggy could fit after novice, or ideally as a second class.

But in the days of too many classes and total noobs with stupid overpowered 1/8th scales as their first class... For the hobby to grow and survive it's up to the experienced guys to push the new guys in the proper direction.
Not a great idea to graduate from novice and soon goto mod. The cost of replacement parts from crashing a hole lot would be worse then buying go fast 17.5 parts they dont need.

Mod can be a handful even for experienced racers.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Any really good driver can go out and win with an out of the box car and average electronics....that would not be me.

On most tracks, for most club racers, stock is faster. The notion of taking weight out of cars is a slippery slope. A lot of the time I see people adding ounces of weight to cars. Unless traction is perfect or you're that good, removing weight can make you're car handle worse if you don't know how to tune for it. If bite is already low it can kill traction too.

Lightening up my drivetrain helps me clear obstacles/jumps/doubles where I am not carrying enough speed. For example, we have a big double right out of a corner. The faster guys carry enough speed through the corner and sail the double. Before I put the slipper eliminator on I made it 50-75% of the time because I don't always come around the turn fast enough. Now, I have enough acceleration to make it regardless. Is that cheating? Maybe a little but the whole kit with cut gears is like $25. Ti turnbuckles cost more than that.