R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   cut gears in stock class??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/787919-cut-gears-stock-class.html)

wisconsinbasher 01-23-2014 07:39 PM

cut gears in stock class???

can some one please exsplain to me what and how this is done and if it is worth the efort.

i see people post things saying they have cut gears in the trany and i am having a hard time finding any information on this if some one could clue me in that would be great.

1967Typhoon 01-23-2014 07:49 PM

Basically all you do is cut the width of the idler gear and diff gear (and maybe top shaft in some cases?) lower so that there is less surface area, thus less rolling resistance in the transmission, thus more punch out of the motor.

If I told you some of the things I heard folks were doing at CRCRC (major race recently) it would make you barf. Stock class at the regional and national level is a joke. Racers with motors that are so tweaked they are often pitched after one race. Racers having 15-20 motors ready to be burnt for just that event. Charging packs at 20-30amps to get more power... the list goes on. Stock class is a money pit, and racers who propagate this nonsense should be ashamed of yourselves. Stock class should be for newer racers, and it is now filled with old men with terrible spending problems.

wisconsinbasher 01-23-2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon (Post 12936886)
Basically all you do is cut the width of the idler gear and diff gear (and maybe top shaft in some cases?) lower so that there is less surface area, thus less rolling resistance in the transmission, thus more punch out of the motor.

If I told you some of the things I heard folks were doing at CRCRC (major race recently) it would make you barf. Stock class at the regional and national level is a joke. Racers with motors that are so tweaked they are often pitched after one race. Racers having 15-20 motors ready to be burnt for just that event. Charging packs at 20-30amps to get more power... the list goes on. Stock class is a money pit, and racers who propagate this nonsense should be ashamed of yourselves. Stock class should be for newer racers, and it is now filled with old men with terrible spending problems.

well put

zeakemedia 01-23-2014 08:08 PM

I have the cut gears but I haven't run them yet. I bought them to lower the rotating mass. I do have a spare 17.5 but I have that for the B5m I pre-ordered. Speed racing products is where I bought my gears from. I've also heard of people charging a 2s battery at 3s as well. My stuff has to last so I charge at 1c and the motor is legal because I don't want to replace it.
Blake

joelwhite 01-23-2014 08:12 PM

I think they would for sure be worth it in 17.5, its old tech for some oval guys. That and an aluminum top shaft and you are in business

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/tr...e_body_044.jpg

captain_brew 01-23-2014 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by joelwhite (Post 12936937)
I think they would for sure be worth it in 17.5, its old tech for some oval guys. That and an aluminum top shaft and you are in business

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/tr...e_body_044.jpg

I'll second this. Great guys to deal with. I've ordered several sets from them, always arrive super fast and cut great. Super smooth transmission action. I also use the aluminum top shaft, as well as the MIP Pucks system. Triad Slipper also weighs less than the vts slipper on the b4.x. lower that rotational mass!

jsrocket13 01-23-2014 08:34 PM

Do they have gears for TLR cars?

QDRHRSE 01-23-2014 08:37 PM

Its also less weight. The gears in themselves don't do too much but when you run a slipper eliminator your free up a lot of rotating mass and weight. That's what's so awesome about the MIP Pucks system. The whole drivetrain becomes light weight becauise the whole thing down to the shafts are aluminum.

Most of you guys that are whining about the competition in stock must be mediocre drivers like me. I buy the best of everything and better drivers still beat me with clapped out junk cars with old motors. I could buy one run motors but it wouldn't make me any faster. You really have to be an incredible driver for a motor to really help you. Unless you're at that sponsored/pro level any decent motor will be enough. If you have pros running sportsman and stock they are stupid because they don't get contingency money from sponsors. My friend won SS Stadium Truck at the Cactus in 2013 and he didn't get squat from Kyosho, Shurrspeed, or JConcepts.

joelwhite 01-23-2014 08:37 PM

No, I have not been able to find anything but the AE gears.

joelwhite 01-23-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by jsrocket13 (Post 12936982)
Do they have gears for TLR cars?

I was thinkin though, but Im not sure. But i wouldnt think it would be all that hard for someone with some skills on a lathe or mill to run down some kit parts.

jsrocket13 01-23-2014 08:43 PM

Thanks Joel I found the web site and nothing but the good thing is, is a friend of mine has a machine shop and has done work for me on some of my carpet oval cars looks like it's time to call him again.

fastford 01-23-2014 09:02 PM

Does anyone do this for Tlr stuff?

DG Designs 01-23-2014 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From my PRS1. Wrenching is my stress release

skengines 01-23-2014 09:16 PM

Even worse is SPONSORED drivers racing in the stock class. I raced the stock buggy and truck class at OCRC last year and it was full of factory drivers.

It gave the newcomers to the hobby absolutely ZERO chance of making the upper mains.

wisconsinbasher 01-23-2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE (Post 12936994)
Its also less weight. The gears in themselves don't do too much but when you run a slipper eliminator your free up a lot of rotating mass and weight. That's what's so awesome about the MIP Pucks system. The whole drivetrain becomes light weight becauise the whole thing down to the shafts are aluminum.

Most of you guys that are whining about the competition in stock must be mediocre drivers like me. I buy the best of everything and better drivers still beat me with clapped out junk cars with old motors. I could buy one run motors but it wouldn't make me any faster. You really have to be an incredible driver for a motor to really help you. Unless you're at that sponsored/pro level any decent motor will be enough. If you have pros running sportsman and stock they are stupid because they don't get contingency money from sponsors. My friend won SS Stadium Truck at the Cactus in 2013 and he didn't get squat from Kyosho, Shurrspeed, or JConcepts.

and where do you find slipper eliminators?