Wiki Posts
Search

Stadium Trucks :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King DORK
I'm turning 41 in April. Wish our tracks had a 40+ class. I still hold my own and do well if I run mistake free, but these young bucks are just on a whole different level anymore. Still have 20/15 vision in both eyes, but my old ass reflexes aren't what they used to be . That being said, stadium truck has always been my favorite class and thankfully is still semi decent my way.

I'm 38 and you have me worried! Maybe I have been in denial this whole time. I don't want to think about my not being able to hang with the best....no matter how young they are.

Father Time can kiss my ***
Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
Father Time can kiss my ***
Haha! I keep telling him that, but then he gives me a backhanded b!tch slap. I was always a very kamikaze type guy growing up. Years of martial arts, construction, surgeries, and stupid dares have done a number on me. Honestly, some of the other racers are just better, but telling myself it's age related helps not to bruise my ego as much .
Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by King DORK
Haha! I keep telling him that, but then he gives me a backhanded b!tch slap. I was always a very kamikaze type guy growing up. Years of martial arts, construction, surgeries, and stupid dares have done a number on me. Honestly, some of the other racers are just better, but telling myself it's age related helps not to bruise my ego as much .
Also what should be noted is the fact that they start so young(as young as 7) that most people are already too late and over that hump.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I'm older than both you guys, stadium trucks sucked back then, and they still do today. They were actually called the "monster truck" class, started by the Tamiya Blackfoot, then JG created a conversion kit for the RC-10 using Tamiya Blackfoot wheels and tires, after that Losi created a production Stadium truck, that looked nothing like a real truck, especially with the butt ugly dish wheels. So now, we have stadium truck, R/C's that don't look like trucks, but more like oversize 2wd buggies with blob bodies on them. Don't even know why they have "truck" in the name. They should have just made a bigger 2wd buggy with a buggy body.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by egalsim
I'm older than both you guys, stadium trucks sucked back then, and they still do today. They were actually called the "monster truck" class, started by the Tamiya Blackfoot, then JG created a conversion kit for the RC-10 using Tamiya Blackfoot wheels and tires, after that Losi created a production Stadium truck, that looked nothing like a real truck, especially with the butt ugly dish wheels. So now, we have stadium truck, R/C's that don't look like trucks, but more like oversize 2wd buggies with blob bodies on them. Don't even know why they have "truck" in the name. They should have just made a bigger 2wd buggy with a buggy body.
I agree with you about them being called trucks,but disagree about mostly everything else...ST are quite fun to race,more forgiving than a buggy and drive closer to a buggy than a SC truck...I'm personally not the biggest fan of buggy racing,just can't find the time to get good enough and compete with all the guys racing in this class....my 2cents
Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Sure, STs are not the best looking model cars, but neither are 1/8th scale buggies or 1/10th scale touring cars, the most popular classes in the world.
The only STs I ever happened to drive were the ancient Ultima Outlaw Truck back in the 90s and my son's Ansmann Macnum, which used to be a crappy version of Team C's current truck. Both of them handled great (the Kyosho in comparison with other cars of that time), but the Ansmann's cheap plastic usually ruined the day and we got rid of it. Stadium trucks are so much fun to drive, and if there will be a T5 anytime soon I'll probably get one. Last year this class was almost dead in our region, but after several years of SC stock racing quite a few guys rediscovered how much fun stadium trucks can be. I like!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

They should have just made a bigger 2wd buggy with a buggy body.
Ever see a Jconcepts "J82"? Those look like fun.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Looks are not everything to a class.

I look at how they drive , jump, handle. I race 4x4 SC short course and ST staduim trucks are much harder to be good at and they jump much better than short course its like you landed on a pillow with the ST.

I started out driving ST mod when i first started offroad and im glad its slowly gaining around me.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ST is making a comeback at a couple of the local tracks in my area. A few months ago there was never enough to make a class at club races and only 5 or 6 in trophy races. The last few weeks club nights have had 6-8 entries with more and more guys talking about picking up a truck. Last trophy race had 10 entries. Short course is king at most of the local tracks, with a full B main and sometimes a 5 or 6 truck C in Pro2 on club nights. Pro 4 is smaller but there are several fast guys every week. I'm not a big fan of the "rubbing is racing" mentality in SCT and it really sucks to practice with a buggy when there are 8 SCTs on the track banging around and running you over, but I live with it. I don't see Short Course going anywhere in my area because of the big numbers and the fact that a lot of the guys that race have kids that run SCT instead of open wheel. Not to mention it's easier to be fast in SC because you don't have to worry as much about clipping a pipe or hitting the wall and breaking so people drive with a little more reckless abandon than in ST or buggy. That being said i run Pro2 but I have picked up a 22T and plan on running it in the next couple weeks and will prob run it more than the SCT once i get it dialed in. I always liked Stadium Truck and am glad to see it coming back!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hobby Pro is releasing a stadium truck in April, so maybe it's a sign of a stadium truck comeback.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wish ST took over SC. IDK why people like dirt being kicked back into all their electronics. Crappy suspension, parachute effect etc. If not stadium truck I hope short course buggy takes over trucks just because of the bodies and suspension.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
Sure, STs are not the best looking model cars, but neither are 1/8th scale buggies or 1/10th scale touring cars, the most popular classes in the world.
The only STs I ever happened to drive were the ancient Ultima Outlaw Truck back in the 90s and my son's Ansmann Macnum, which used to be a crappy version of Team C's current truck. Both of them handled great (the Kyosho in comparison with other cars of that time), but the Ansmann's cheap plastic usually ruined the day and we got rid of it. Stadium trucks are so much fun to drive, and if there will be a T5 anytime soon I'll probably get one. Last year this class was almost dead in our region, but after several years of SC stock racing quite a few guys rediscovered how much fun stadium trucks can be. I like!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. From the very first time we saw an actual production ST, they looked badass and cool. It's been almost 3 decades since so please forgive me if my memory serves me wrong, but I seem to remember the JRx-T being first purpose designed and manufactured ST kit in RC Car Action and I don't remember anyone saying anything negative about it back then.

Since then, ST's have gotten better, more refined and and even better looking IMPO and while most cab forward bodies are indeed atrocious, there are still some really nice Truck bodies out there. And there are other classes that have the most hideous bodies in all of RC.

As for ST being nothing more than mere Buggies affixed with Truck Bodies… what about Truggys?!?!? I mean the name says it all no?

While I am not too fond of SCT in the way of looks and the horrid clunky sound of the bodies even when landing perfectly, I do have to say they seem to drive more like the real thing, at least visually, than any other vehicle type. The Wheels and Tires have a great deal to do with it but on tracks where us 2WD buggy guys are slipping and sliding, trying to find traction, the 2WD SCT's have loads of grip. Has to be something to the SCT's to allow them to do so.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Its the realism that draws everyone to SCT. This year sct 4wd and 2wd will be the biggest classes at my track. Personally I'll drive anything, love it all. I also think the close relationship with the buggy might have something to do with the numbers drop. some people probably think ST is a redundant class in away.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lee111m
Its the realism that draws everyone to SCT. This year sct 4wd and 2wd will be the biggest classes at my track. Personally I'll drive anything, love it all. I also think the close relationship with the buggy might have something to do with the numbers drop. some people probably think ST is a redundant class in away.
Racing SCTs nowadays are as realistic as touring cars: bubble bodies, in some cases with licensed stickers. Form follows function in racing, just take a look at the FTW Diamondback - which works pretty good.
Of course you can go for realistic styling, but hardly anyone does so. Already Pro-Line's first aftermarket bodies (Desert Rat iirc) were streamlined to a point that had not much in common with real trucks, that's just the way it is. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed SC for quite some time, but for me SCT is a thing of the past - like buggies were two years ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Ever see a Jconcepts "J82"? Those look like fun.
Indeed they do ... I still want to try one. 1/8 scale 2wd should be awesome , but its just a truck with skinny front tires and a buggy body .

Originally Posted by Silo
I wish ST took over SC. IDK why people like dirt being kicked back into all their electronics. Crappy suspension, parachute effect etc. If not stadium truck I hope short course buggy takes over trucks just because of the bodies and suspension.

I am surprised the sc buggies have not taken off . They look great . Eeryone seems to hate the racing the full bodies creates , and 2wd buggies are just to small for some tracks . They seem like they would solve a lot of complaints. I think they could mix well with st trucks . A combined class if you will ... thoughts ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.