Search
Like Tree2Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX-2 Mid Motor Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Guys, some more questions:
1. Why is MM more popular than RM? My buddy says he had a chance to drive Schumacher's MM and it was very pushy. Well maybe the car wasn't set up right. Anyway, what is the clear advantage of MM over RM?
2. It seems that saddle pack is more recommended than shorty. Why? Some mentioned weight distribution (I guess to the sides). But I don't get it. More weights to the sides, and then the more lateral weight transfer at turns leading to loose car is my imagination. No?
3. Can somebody explain why MM setup is better at Astro/high bite carpet than RM? If there's anybody that goes SCV in SoCal, how's the traction there and what would you use between RM and MM?

Thanks again,
Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Biggest reason is the mid carries much more corner speed than the rear. And as far as saddles versus shorty it's really gonna depend on amount of traction and how you want the car to feel
Old 03-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Imagine the RM as an anchor hangin back there….. imho
Old 03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony montana
Biggest reason is the mid carries much more corner speed than the rear. And as far as saddles versus shorty it's really gonna depend on amount of traction and how you want the car to feel
Thanks Tony. But I want to understand the logic. Why does MM give more corner speed? Which battery config gives more traction in rear and how?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

MM moves the motor toward center and therefore more centered weight distribution. more consistent steering.The motor hanging off the back gives better rear traction at the expense of taking weight off the steering end. It all depends on the track compound on what is the best way to go. I drive RM, but I can see where MM gives a more balanced feel to the driver...if you can get a handle on the lose of rear traction.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Picture an old rear drive real 1/1 car. we used to put sand bags in the trunk in the winter time to make the rear wheels dig into the snow more. More weight in the rear gives better traction. Taking those bags out after the snow is gone makes the car more balanced again.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

anyone know how to set rebound? im tring to get 2mm rebound thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

drilled shock cap with a 9/64 drill bit and now oil leaking out of the cap when shaft goes up and down
Old 03-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER
drilled shock cap with a 9/64 drill bit and now oil leaking out of the cap when shaft goes up and down
Did you make any other changes to it? I drilled all of mines with a 9/64" and it's smooth now. The hole is just a tiny bit bigger than the shaft. It's not much bigger.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

think it was the traxas xrings i put the stock ones back in and now it seems to be ok
Old 03-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER
think it was the traxas xrings i put the stock ones back in and now it seems to be ok
That's weird. I drilled mines and instantly replace them with the Traxxas X-rings with no issue.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

yes very confused
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The traxxas orings will typically leak until they swell. Put the traxxas orings in a plastic bag and drop some oil in them and let them soak for a few days.

Alternatively adding a .3-.5mm shim to the seal pack when the orings are new will solve the leakiness.

Luckily new seals from Serpent are close to being finished I'm told and this issue goes away.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1
MM moves the motor toward center and therefore more centered weight distribution. more consistent steering.The motor hanging off the back gives better rear traction at the expense of taking weight off the steering end. It all depends on the track compound on what is the best way to go. I drive RM, but I can see where MM gives a more balanced feel to the driver...if you can get a handle on the lose of rear traction.
Thanks. But with my logic, heavier side gets less traction. So I just don't get the explanation that having the motor in the rear gives more rear traction. For example, if you move both the front and rear wheels forward keeping the same wheelbase, the rear becomes heavier and the car gets more steering meaning less traction in the rear.
With that said, if I compare ONLY the weight distribution between MM and RM, MM gets more rear traction than RM due to the lighter rear weight meaning MM may understeer. Again this is only hypothetical on the condition that everything else is same between RM and MM. But I see there's quite a difference between RM and MM's configurations. Whatever advantage/disadvantage each car has, I'm pretty sure the Serpent engineers compensated it by making a few changes between them.
I just don't see the huge advantage of MM setup so far and thought it might be trickier(less/more responsive to setup changes) to set up than traditional RM design. and I was hoping somebody would fill me in. Thanks guys.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Guys, some more questions:
1. Why is MM more popular than RM? My buddy says he had a chance to drive Schumacher's MM and it was very pushy. Well maybe the car wasn't set up right. Anyway, what is the clear advantage of MM over RM?
2. It seems that saddle pack is more recommended than shorty. Why? Some mentioned weight distribution (I guess to the sides). But I don't get it. More weights to the sides, and then the more lateral weight transfer at turns leading to loose car is my imagination. No?
3. Can somebody explain why MM setup is better at Astro/high bite carpet than RM? If there's anybody that goes SCV in SoCal, how's the traction there and what would you use between RM and MM?

Thanks again,
1&3 are below.

2. I don't know anyone who says saddle has a bigger advantage than a shorty. The benefit of a saddle is higher mAh and better weight balance in some cars. Or just more weight actually.

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Thanks. But with my logic, heavier side gets less traction. So I just don't get the explanation that having the motor in the rear gives more rear traction. For example, if you move both the front and rear wheels forward keeping the same wheelbase, the rear becomes heavier and the car gets more steering meaning less traction in the rear.
With that said, if I compare ONLY the weight distribution between MM and RM, MM gets more rear traction than RM due to the lighter rear weight meaning MM may understeer. Again this is only hypothetical on the condition that everything else is same between RM and MM. But I see there's quite a difference between RM and MM's configurations. Whatever advantage/disadvantage each car has, I'm pretty sure the Serpent engineers compensated it by making a few changes between them.
I just don't see the huge advantage of MM setup so far and thought it might be trickier(less/more responsive to setup changes) to set up than traditional RM design. and I was hoping somebody would fill me in. Thanks guys.
The heavier side gives more traction. Think about a RM buggy, there's no way that it's more traction in the front. The biggest advantage of MM is better weight balance so less pendulum weight shifts which lead to better corner speeds.

The MM absolutely does not get more rear traction than the RM. That's why the RM is still preferred at outdoor loamy tracks. The higher the traction, the bigger the advantage for the MM buggy as the lack of rear traction is less of an issue of higher bite tracks.

For your wheelbase example, you'll have more steering off-power as the pendulum effect throws all that weight back to the front but not on-power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.