Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Make sure you have the correct diff for the front and rear in place. If I remember correctly the there is a height or length difference between front diff and rear diff.

Here's my front sitting flat on table
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-front-diff-flat.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

I'm curious about the "C" rear shock mount and using the lower pin hole on the rear hubs. Is anyone running this setup? What is the intended purpose, and was the difference noticeable?
Old 05-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buster44
Ok just finished the build the front 75mm drives seem to just sit in the diff thingez up on the stand and when down on the ground,( tires fitted ) they are in just a little more seem's to be to far out.Is this about right or do I have a problem.This is my 4th 4wd build B44.3,22.4,KYOSHOZX6 AND THIS. Have not seen this before any help would be appreciated.

OR DO I GO TO THE FIRST PAGE.
Like snwchris pointed out, your rear diff is in the front gearbox and your front diff is in the rear gearbox.

Even though it is a question I have seen many people have, the answer is not in the first post. Nor is the answer to the "My car runs backwards" question in the first post either. I'll PM Jakesterama and see if we can get an update.

Instead of asking "Is my question answered in the first post?", just look at the first post.

Originally Posted by SeanKewley
I'm curious about the "C" rear shock mount and using the lower pin hole on the rear hubs. Is anyone running this setup? What is the intended purpose, and was the difference noticeable?
The C rear tower has nothing to do with the lower hole on the hubs. The C tower is supposed to be used when you use the inner hole on the a-arm, because the inner hole is not in line with the hinge pins. Rather it is lower, which creates a gull wing arm. Therefore, a different tower is required, with holes that move the shock down to keep shock lengths the same. If you didn't use the C tower with the inner holes, it will lower the ride height, so when you reset the ride height, the shocks will be further extended, thus having less droop. Moving the shock in on the arm changes the leverage the tire has over the shock, making the shock feel softer.

Moving to the lower hole in the hubs will also lower the rear ride height, which again after you reset the rear ride height you will have less droop in the rear. It will also change the roll center, and the driveshaft plunge, so there is a lot going on for such a simple change. I haven't got a chance to try that adjustment, so I can't tell you first hand what it is going to do to the handling of the car, but I can at least explain what it changes about the geometry.

Proper ride height is very important, and there are many different changes you can make that can effect ride height. Because of this, it is important to check the ride height after you make adjustments. That is if you want to be consistent, and be able to actually feel what an adjustment does.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turtle189
Working on switching my indoor carpet setup over to outdoor. Looking for setup sheets for outdoor fast hard packed medium to low grip. Thanks.
I race on a low to medium grip hard packed outdoor track. Here is some videos of the recent state titles http://livestream.com/accounts/13070...0offroadstates. I have had very good luck with the Ty Tessmann 2014 Hotrod Shootout setup available here http://www.petitrc.com/setup/hotbodi...out2014071820/, with the exception of running plastic arm plates front and rear for more flex and hence more grip, and 35wt TLR oil in the rear (also run TLR oil in the front). Every part of this setup is crucial, as everything works together. For example, you can't just use the shock oil and piston combination without the correct shock mounting locations. The tyres we use are AKA soft rebars for 4wd buggy front and rear and for 2wd buggy rear, and AKA soft 3-rib for 2wd front, with AKA red closed cell inserts all round in both classes. During the night when it is colder we find AKA soft impacts work better. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the clear and concise post.
The lower hole on the rear hub
1. Reduces droop
2. Alters the driveshaft plunge
3. Changes roll center

I may experiment with this on my next practice day to see if there are any benefits on a high grip technical track.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok so has anyone ever ran an rx8 gen 2 with a 8.5 motor in one of these? I have an old gtb novak ESC that just wont die, but i'm thinking it might not survive long under the stress of 4wd. I do have the rx8 gen 2 but it's a really tight fit, any suggestions? I'm trying to run this thing without making another purchase...
Old 05-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the clear and concise post.
The lower hole on the rear hub
1. Reduces droop
2. Alters the driveshaft plunge
3. Changes roll center

I may experiment with this on my next practice day to see if there are any benefits on a high grip technical track.
Thanks
Is your car doing something you don't like, or do you just want to see how that adjustment changes the car?

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
Ok so has anyone ever ran an rx8 gen 2 with a 8.5 motor in one of these? I have an old gtb novak ESC that just wont die, but i'm thinking it might not survive long under the stress of 4wd. I do have the rx8 gen 2 but it's a really tight fit, any suggestions? I'm trying to run this thing without making another purchase...
Will the RX8 fit under the body? If it fits it would work, but it may throw off the balance of the car. Novak has a trade in program so you could probably get a new 1/10th Novak ESC for a good deal. Or you could probably find someone in the for sale/trade section that would trade a nice 1/10th scale ESC for that RX8.

The right components are key to on track performance. I myself wouldn't chance throwing off the way my car performs by running an ESC not design for the type of car I'm running.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
The RX8 is overkill... but should work fine if you can fit it in. As far as balance, don't even worry about it... the plastic case RX8 is not much heavier than a full aluminum case 1/10th scale ESC and cap. RX8 listed as 76.5 grams, the Viper VTX10R BE (which I run) is listed as 75 grams = no difference.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snwchris
Make sure you have the correct diff for the front and rear in place. If I remember correctly the there is a height or length difference between front diff and rear diff.

Here's my front sitting flat on table
Ok thanks that's about right looked a little out up on the stand checked the back and rear diffs and they are in the right order so thanks for your help was a little worried i might be told to go to the first page.One more question with the steering crank is it normal for the main arm to be a little bit loose where the flange bushings are.Out where i am i don't have anybody around me close to talk to about these things usually figure it out myself so your help is fantastic.I do have a big track though as I have a big place we are very lucky.
There are some rc racers about an hours drive away and they are starting up a new club and the council down there way gave them some land just happens to be about half way between us.They are going to host some sanctioned races so the track should be of a good standard probably be up and running buy Christmas.

Must admit I have been following this tread for a little while and you seem on the most part to be a fantastic helpful bunch of rc addicts so thanks.

Last edited by buster44; 05-15-2015 at 04:34 AM. Reason: add to
Old 05-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Yea there is some steering slop if that what your talking about, it doesn't bother me and haven't noticed any effects during racing. I think if you search Youtube for D413 slop or steering issue, you might see a couple videos... let us know if that's what you mean
Old 05-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan
Is your car doing something you don't like, or do you just want to see how that adjustment changes the car?

My setup is getting closer to being dialed, but there is more room for improvement. I'm getting some rear wheel lift in high speed sweepers and thought I might see what the hub hole change does. I'm swapping shock Pistons and oil first to test that during my next practice session.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

My setup is getting closer to being dialed, but there is more room for improvement. I'm getting some rear wheel lift in high speed sweepers and thought I might see what the hub hole change does. I'm swapping shock Pistons and oil first to test that during my next practice session.
Schelle Chassis....

Have you tried moving the rear arm back, so putting washers in front of the rearm arm, to basically add length.

Last edited by snwchris; 05-15-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Lifting the inside rear tire isn't necessarily bad. If it results in erratic handling and slower lap times then go after it. Otherwise, it's a sign of one of this cars strengths: aggressive handling. I'm a big proponent of using average lap times and standard deviation to measure the success of a change. If I can't see the need for a change, the results from multiple other racers (in lap times mean and std), or the engineering reasoning behind it (engineer by trade) I won't spend money on hop-ups very easily. Just my $0.02....
Old 05-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I completed my build last night but I haven't done my shocks yet due to I don't know what the conversion for shock oil is.

What is a good starting spot for oil and pistons for the car? The book says 500# front and rear but I don't know what that equals in Losi oil

Any help would rule?
Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

500cst is about 40 wt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.