Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I just got my RCShox rack today. I will be putting a LOT of millage on this this week. Well, maybe 200-300 laps. I was just looking at the pistons and the racks. They look to be very nicely crafted.
I tested the pistons late last week. I used the same oil as my hand drilled 1.6 and 1.7 F/R. Given it was also 20 degrees colder than the last time I ran the car. But it seems to work well. I wasn't bottoming out as much. So even though it felt the same on the bench, it seems to be packing up more. Not sure if it was the weather or the fact that the pistons are thicker or I didn't drill the pistons properly.

I also have VRP pistons ordered. I want to see how those perform.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Yeah, I just mounted up my 2 stage pistons. Did you use both metal washers? I was worried about thread engagement for the nut. Looks like it is just under flush. Yeah, the am really liking the 2 stage pistons on the bench. I did a few drop tests and it surely packs up better. And I added the avid chassis which is 60 grams more.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah, I just mounted up my 2 stage pistons. Did you use both metal washers? I was worried about thread engagement for the nut. Looks like it is just under flush. Yeah, the am really liking the 2 stage pistons on the bench. I did a few drop tests and it surely packs up better. And I added the avid chassis which is 60 grams more.
I did. But I have the flat pistons and they seem to have a slight recess for the washer to fit in. And after, I didn't really think about it because it seemed to thread on pretty well, good engagement.

We'll see with the VRP pistons as I assume they will be thicker like the RCShox 2 stage pistons that you have.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
I did. But I have the flat pistons and they seem to have a slight recess for the washer to fit in. And after, I didn't really think about it because it seemed to thread on pretty well, good engagement.

We'll see with the VRP pistons as I assume they will be thicker like the RCShox 2 stage pistons that you have.
VRP Pistons are not that much thicker at all. I did have to polish 2 of the pistons with a scuff pad mounted in my drill to get them to slide smoother inside the shock bore. I will be trying them out this Saturday.
Paul
Old 11-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

Has anyone driven the buggy with the avid chassis installed? how are you guys running the chassis weights?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Prophet

I will be running the avid chassis this week
Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman

the +/- raises and lowers the rack 0.5mm for bump steer adjustment. if the + is facing up it is higher, with the - facing up the rack sits lower. you can also put shims under the rack if you need more than 0.5mm.

the dots are for ackermann adjustment. if you have the dot facing forward it pushes the ballstud further forward, giving you less ackermann and vice versa. similarly you can also use shims. i designed it this way in case if you want to run the ballstud far forward you don't have to use huge stack of shims and possibly run out of thread engagement.

Since I've received a few PM's about ackermann, I wanted to bump this quote along with adding this chart to help everyone out.

Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy-ackermann1.jpg  

Last edited by nv529; 11-18-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Tech Prophet

I just installed the RcShox bearing rack. The fitment was great. Makes the steering so smooth and removed a bunch of slop. Cant wait to hit the track. New chassis, new RcShox rack and pistons. I put all of these on to address "issues" I had with the stock kit. I stock pistons were too "soft", the car felt top heavy and the rack was all over the place. I really think these changes will make the car better.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I ran the RCShox bearing steering rack last week for the first time and to be honest I couldn't really tell much of a difference on the track. It felt allot better on the bench knowing the slop was gone, but it didn't really transfer into anything noticeable on the track for me. The car pretty much drove the same.

Nice little part though. I have no reason to take it off.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just bought the part as well. Do you know if the geometry changed from the original rack?

If so, do you know what the settings are for 0 bump steer?

I just installed the RcShox bearing rack. The fitment was great. Makes the steering so smooth and removed a bunch of slop. Cant wait to hit the track. New chassis, new RcShox rack and pistons. I put all of these on to address "issues" I had with the stock kit. I stock pistons were too "soft", the car felt top heavy and the rack was all over the place. I really think these changes will make the car better.
Originally Posted by jhautz
I ran the RCShox bearing steering rack last week for the first time and to be honest I couldn't really tell much of a difference on the track. It felt allot better on the bench knowing the slop was gone, but it didn't really transfer into anything noticeable on the track for me. The car pretty much drove the same.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Prophet

I was at redrock hobbies today. They have 3 to 4 front towers in stock. FYI to who ever wanted one
Old 11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Anupam Das
So, what is up with the front shock tower being backordered everywhere? Must be a lot of people breaking them for it to be so in high demand. This sounds familiar (AE B44.2/3 breaking front shock towers). I thought this buggy was suppose to be super strong as that was part of the marketing campaign. I haven't broken mine yet, and sorry for sounding like im a hater (love the car overall), but I just want to break through the hype and get to the truth.
http://www.redrockhobbies.com/product-p/hbs112773.htm
Old 11-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Vincent_Diesel
Just bought the part as well. Do you know if the geometry changed from the original rack?

If so, do you know what the settings are for 0 bump steer?

Same geometry as stock but designed so that you can always shim up instead of having to flip the kit rack for ackerman adjustments. Thick shim under the bearing and thin shim under the ball stud put you at the lowest ackerman/bump steer with the kit rack but you can shim up for more or even remove the shim for less than the kit rack would allow.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz

Giving team drivers and the lead designer said it doesn't make a difference...it dosn't surprise me..it's a placebo part.

But hey... 80% of this hobby is whats in your head..
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Wildcat...you seem tight with those guys...the listing is wrong though...They have a pic of the tower but the description is for a shock seal kit...Just tell them that cause it's confusing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.