Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeeler
Slightly off-topic:

What are you guys doing to charge multiple 2S batteries with the tubes in series or in parallel. I don't see many options for a ready-made cable. Do I need to just solder up my own to be able to do that?
You'd more than likely have to make your own. And it would be a parallel connector. Parallel makes it so that if you have two 5000mah 2s batteries, your charger would see it as one 10000mah 2s battery.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Well, not having parts in your local hobby shop is inclusive in the term "parts support". As well as the interval between them running out of stock, and then finally replenishing stock. Both are piss-poor in my opinion. I feel the same way about my Durango. But I still have it because it is great on the track. So for me Hot Bodies is just like Durango; Sweet kits, sub-par parts/kit production.
2 things that are a huge difference between Hot Bodies and Team DUH-rango.

1 - Quality of DUH-rango is complete junk. Absolutely everything has to be upgraded. Hot Bodies has raised the standard in quality and design.

2- DUH-rango's vehicles have been out for a very long time,and they still don't produce stock for their junk. Hot Bodies has been doing a damn good job of filling back orders that were placed 9 months before the car was even released with quality, not quantity, and they already have more parts in stock than DUH-rango.

If your local hobby shop isn't supporting Hot Bodies, that's their mistake. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a Traxxas. At least it would be an upgrade in quality over DUH-rango.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, not having parts in your local hobby shop is inclusive in the term "parts support". As well as the interval between them running out of stock, and then finally replenishing stock. Both are piss-poor in my opinion. I feel the same way about my Durango. But I still have it because it is great on the track. So for me Hot Bodies is just like Durango; Sweet kits, sub-par parts/kit production.
I got yea...

I would say though..Then i would push the "local hobby shop" to carry the parts...thats not an HB/Durango issue... thats the local shop not supporting the kit... again not an HB/Durango issue but the shop it's self..so to pass that onto HB/Durango is a tad short sided IMO...From what i see at this time..parts are wide open for the D413...
Old 09-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
2 things that are a huge difference between Hot Bodies and Team DUH-rango.

1 - Quality of DUH-rango is complete junk. Absolutely everything has to be upgraded. Hot Bodies has raised the standard in quality and design.

2- DUH-rango's vehicles have been out for a very long time,and they still don't produce stock for their junk. Hot Bodies has been doing a damn good job of filling back orders that were placed 9 months before the car was even released with quality, not quantity, and they already have more parts in stock than DUH-rango.

If your local hobby shop isn't supporting Hot Bodies, that's their mistake. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a Traxxas. At least it would be an upgrade in quality over DUH-rango.
Well hot-dawg. I dun better get down to ma hobby shop and order me a slash!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

You'd more than likely have to make your own. And it would be a parallel connector. Parallel makes it so that if you have two 5000mah 2s batteries, your charger would see it as one 10000mah 2s battery.
Thanks.

I 'd like to charge in series for two reasons:

1) Time. Charging a a 2S 10-amp-hour battery will take twice as long as charging a 4S 5-Ah battery. If you go to 3 2s batteries in parallel, then it takes three times as long as to charge a 6S battery, which my charger can handle. Edit: This is assuming your charger doesn't have the current capacity to charge the composite 10-AH or 15-AH battery at its maximum current; if it can, then this problem goes away.

2) Charge inequality. If the batteries aren't discharged to exactly the same degree, then when you hook them up in parallel, you're dumping a lot of charge form the higher-voltage cells to the lower-voltage ones. I get nervous when doing that to LiPos.

The downside to charging in series is that the batteries have to be of the same capacity, but if you bought the same model, that's not a problem.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well hot-dawg. I dun better get down to ma hobby shop and order me a slash!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

dont bash durango too much. just like everyone they produce some great kits.

i would put the durango ST above or at least equal to any other on the market.

now the wheeler. its great when it stays on the track which seems to be less often than it should.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Wow. This is the D413 so I'll say what needs to be said and leave it at that.

First of all the Durango engineered vehicles of their own design and spent quite a bit of time doing so. Second of all they are not fragile. The 410 tends to break sometimes because it is a heavier car, but these are 1/10 cars traveling at the equivalent of 400+ Scale MPH and some peoples' expectations are a tad wee bit too ridiculous.

I've had my 410 for almost 2 years and the only issue I've encountered was breaking front arms but the culprit was identified and outside of my screw ups, it's been smooth sailing since then. I even had an Orion motor falling apart on me, placing considerable strain on the drivetrain and nothing was the worse for wear. I even smashed into an SCT that some idiot placed on the outside of the front straight instead of using the pit lane at full speed, and I absolutely destroyed his entire rear end. I couldn't even begin to describe the obliteration of his car and all that happened to my 410 was a popped ball cup.

How's that for durable?

As for parts shortage from Durango, I've only ever had to wait for steering knuckle bushings earlier this year and nothing else. I also don't see the logic behind having local parts support because it's been my experience that LHS will push and stock certain brands to their customer base, only to switch to different brands, thus leaving those customers high and dry. This happened to me with Durango and TLR and I decided I was done supporting them and now order my parts from online retailers who ALWAYS have parts in stock for all my vehicles. From Associated, to TLR, to Durango, to Kyosho and many others.

And I stock enough consumables to keep from DNF-ing due to lack of parts.

As it is, it's not like the 413 is impervious to failures because there a few dozen pages in this thread showing peoples' issue with their 413.

Bottom line is, no car is bullet proof and they all have their issues and every model has its lemons so it's ridiculous to bash on one over another. Drive well enough and every single one of them will perform superbly. Furthermore, put a 410 in the hands of Mayfield and Cavalieri and they'd still win consistently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do even better than with their current cars. The 410 is that good, as is the 413 and XB4. And really, Associated's vehicles are the most criticized vehicles and likely just, due to their excessive slop, yet they are the winningest manufacturer of all time. Go figure.

I'm currently waiting for a different brand wheeler being released this October because it looks just as good as all 3 I listed with a few nice features, but I will not bash and speak ill of all the top vehicles because the new car ends up performing well.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

what is the biggest pinion you can get in this car? Locals want to run a 13.5 4wd class at states. This way we can have fun and not jack up the pros with out crap driving, lol. I am think the biggest is a 25-26 tooth. which would be pretty low for 13.5 blinky
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
what is the biggest pinion you can get in this car? Locals want to run a 13.5 4wd class at states. This way we can have fun and not jack up the pros with out crap driving, lol. I am think the biggest is a 25-26 tooth. which would be pretty low for 13.5 blinky
Here you go:

Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
currently the largest pinion that the car will accept is a 38T which will yield a final drive of 6.27. hopefully this can get you in the ballpark in the beginning. if a 4WD stock class does emerge then we'll make a smaller spur. for now however there hasn't been many tracks that run a 17.5 blinky 4WD.

(for reference the D413 comes with a 72T spur and the gearbox ratio is 43/13)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by the incubus
Wow. This is the D413 so I'll say what needs to be said and leave it at that.

First of all the Durango engineered vehicles of their own design and spent quite a bit of time doing so. Second of all they are not fragile. The 410 tends to break sometimes because it is a heavier car, but these are 1/10 cars traveling at the equivalent of 400+ Scale MPH and some peoples' expectations are a tad wee bit too ridiculous.

I've had my 410 for almost 2 years and the only issue I've encountered was breaking front arms but the culprit was identified and outside of my screw ups, it's been smooth sailing since then. I even had an Orion motor falling apart on me, placing considerable strain on the drivetrain and nothing was the worse for wear. I even smashed into an SCT that some idiot placed on the outside of the front straight instead of using the pit lane at full speed, and I absolutely destroyed his entire rear end. I couldn't even begin to describe the obliteration of his car and all that happened to my 410 was a popped ball cup.

How's that for durable?

As for parts shortage from Durango, I've only ever had to wait for steering knuckle bushings earlier this year and nothing else. I also don't see the logic behind having local parts support because it's been my experience that LHS will push and stock certain brands to their customer base, only to switch to different brands, thus leaving those customers high and dry. This happened to me with Durango and TLR and I decided I was done supporting them and now order my parts from online retailers who ALWAYS have parts in stock for all my vehicles. From Associated, to TLR, to Durango, to Kyosho and many others.

And I stock enough consumables to keep from DNF-ing due to lack of parts.

As it is, it's not like the 413 is impervious to failures because there a few dozen pages in this thread showing peoples' issue with their 413.

Bottom line is, no car is bullet proof and they all have their issues and every model has its lemons so it's ridiculous to bash on one over another. Drive well enough and every single one of them will perform superbly. Furthermore, put a 410 in the hands of Mayfield and Cavalieri and they'd still win consistently, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them do even better than with their current cars. The 410 is that good, as is the 413 and XB4. And really, Associated's vehicles are the most criticized vehicles and likely just, due to their excessive slop, yet they are the winningest manufacturer of all time. Go figure.

I'm currently waiting for a different brand wheeler being released this October because it looks just as good as all 3 I listed with a few nice features, but I will not bash and speak ill of all the top vehicles because the new car ends up performing well.
Really ? Every Durango I've ever had was a complete turd. Their customer service is worse than their vehicles, almost all the racers in my area has completely walked away from them. Out of all 6 tracks that I attend, I can only recall seeing 3 Durango owners.

On a second note, since this thread has turned into a Durango support group, I'm out. Enjoy yourselves.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by skeeler
Thanks.

I 'd like to charge in series for two reasons:

1) Time. Charging a a 2S 10-amp-hour battery will take twice as long as charging a 4S 5-Ah battery. If you go to 3 2s batteries in parallel, then it takes three times as long as to charge a 6S battery, which my charger can handle. Edit: This is assuming your charger doesn't have the current capacity to charge the composite 10-AH or 15-AH battery at its maximum current; if it can, then this problem goes away.

2) Charge inequality. If the batteries aren't discharged to exactly the same degree, then when you hook them up in parallel, you're dumping a lot of charge form the higher-voltage cells to the lower-voltage ones. I get nervous when doing that to LiPos.

The downside to charging in series is that the batteries have to be of the same capacity, but if you bought the same model, that's not a problem.
That's definitely a good point. I hadn't even thought about the type of charger being used
Old 09-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If the LHS is associated with a track then they should have some idea of what the common vehicles people are running.

Now at the same time it's hard to do that, cause that's a lot of overhead to carry. Then you have people that buy or change brands too quickly as well, so then the LHS is left holding the bag of so called parts.

We have a traveling hobby shop that comes to our track on race days and during the season they ask whos running what and what common parts to carry for those brands, especially if there's a group of people running similar brands.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
Here you go:
sweet. guess I will try my 13.5 at states
Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt :-)

On a second note, since this thread has turned into a Durango support group, I'm out. Enjoy yourselves.
were you referring to me as well? I was simply pointing out that not all Durango vehicles are bad. would I own a Durango 4wd SC. nope.

I have the dex410 but I will be trying the d413 soon(starting build today). I really don't like the dex410 because of a few reasons like how I have to take the center slipper out to change batts. no room for anything. Whats funny is the cheapest Durango made(the ST and 2wd SC) are prob the best cars they make. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.