Wiki Posts
Search

b44.2 AVID chassis.... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team G Racing
Why do you have your transponder on the top deck? Does it effect your lap times with the CF??
My TP is above the window on the top deck as well, they don't see through CF very well so it could skip laps if it is directly on CF. Some place it on the servo too. As long as it has some space above the CF.

But if your TP is being picked up every time and its on the chassis... run it. A lot of it has to do with how buried the pick up line is on the track, if its shallow, may not matter. If its buried, it may not pick up if its directly on the CF.

Last edited by fq06; 06-05-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10gt82
Thanks froggie. I run on a highly abrasive outdoor track and am looking for something that lasts longer than the Associated and Jconcepts protectors..

Last time out I shredded a Jconcept protector in 2 heats and a main
I used to go through the associated chassis protectors quickly with the standard chassis. As soon as i peeled the AVID one off the sheet I was impressed with how solid and thick it felt.

I have had 4 race meets now and the only damage is light scuffing. No rips, dig outs or any freying on the sides. I just want extra for when I have to remove it to rebuild the buggy.

I would assume the protector material is exactly the same as what Upgrade-RC sells for all their other designs, except the AVID one is just AVIDs design. So if your just after a durable protector then give Upgrade-RC a shot for one of their other designs.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
My TP is above the window on the top deck as well, they don't see through CF very well so it could skip laps if it is directly on CF. Some place it on the servo too. As long as it has some space above the CF.

But if your TP is being picked up every time and its on the chassis... run it. A lot of it has to do with how buried the pick up line is on the track, if its shallow, may not matter. If its buried, it may not pick up if its directly on the CF.
interesting observation...I run the PT on both mine and my sons b44's on the top deck and havent noticed any missing laps or anything out of the ordinary. must be the loop location at our track.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

This is not true, look at touring cars, most of them have the transponder mounted on CF.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Again, it may just be how deep the line is at a given track. I would think that they would have to have the line deeper on a dirt track than an asphalt track.

You can search and find statements supporting either mounting choice but I have had rare missed laps without the PT having a sight below it. PT above the peekaboo on the top deck, no misses.
There's carbon below the upper deck, but the signal can spread out and get picked up... not documented, but just my thought on it.

Here is a direct quote from AMB documentation...

"The transponder must be mounted horizontally (flat).
The position of the transponder must be identical in all RC model cars competing in the race for best finish accuracy.
Transponders must be positioned no higher than 15 cm / 6” (lower is better), with no metal or carbon fiber between the transponder and detection loop."

Off topic though... back to chassis discussion

Last edited by fq06; 06-07-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by turbo2cam
interesting observation...I run the PT on both mine and my sons b44's on the top deck and havent noticed any missing laps or anything out of the ordinary. must be the loop location at our track.
Did the same for months , then after a track change the system would not count my ride till I moved the TP on top of the servo.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here is a direct quote from AMB documentation...

"The transponder must be mounted horizontally (flat).
The position of the transponder must be identical in all RC model cars competing in the race for best finish accuracy.
Transponders must be positioned no higher than 15 cm / 6” (lower is better), with no metal or carbon fiber between the transponder and detection loop."
I learned something new today, thanks!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Good news! Those wanting extra chassis protectors or just one separate, you can now get them.

http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html

I'll be ordering a few.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sweet!

Have you held the carbon fiber chassis and the Avid chassis up against each other? Is there any difference in the profile?
The reason I ask is because they list that chassis protector as only for their aluminum chassis.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

I don't have one that is not on a buggy at the moment but I held up the CF one against the aluminium one I have installed and the profiles are identical.
The protector will fit fine.

It doesn't go all the way to the edge of the AVID chassis (a fraction off) but i'm assuming thats just to reduce the chance of catching the edge and lifting it off.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Thank you sir... Ordering a few
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc10gt82
Is there a place to buy just an Avid chassis protector?
http://www.avidrc.com/product/5/acce...cessories.html
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Jmuck.. I've got 3 in hand already
Old 06-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

is this a good move part to have?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For racing, yes. Very well engineered and designed chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.