Wiki Posts
Search

b44.2 AVID chassis.... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by misplacedtexan
Found an extra set I had for the B44.1 and checked them with my avid chassis,
They won't line up, gonna have to use the 44.2 ones. Check on ebay for the parts you need, half as much and more than buying from Avid.
To convert a 44.1, we priced out all the parts and $45 for the +8 conversion is less than it would cost to buy new 44.2 parts to replace the rear upper deck, center driveshaft, rear bone, battery trays, straps, screws, center cap, etc...

The +8 conversion allows you to keep your same B44.1 center cap and slipper assembly without upgrading everything to 44.2 specs which means more parts and higher cost.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdub
To convert a 44.1, we priced out all the parts and $45 for the +8 conversion is less than it would cost to buy new 44.2 parts to replace the rear upper deck, center driveshaft, rear bone, battery trays, straps, screws, center cap, etc...

The +8 conversion allows you to keep your same B44.1 center cap and slipper assembly without upgrading everything to 44.2 specs which means more parts and higher cost.
Really? I got all that's in the Avid kit and paid around $25 for mine on ebay, all brand new, just have to look for the deals.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kdub

Ok what I was going to do since I have the avid triad was buy the 44.2 vts slipper shaft buy the 2 dollar avid spacer and then buy the 44.2 center cap top deck and rear driveshaft but now I'm glad I got my answer.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can you convert a b44 with it?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turtletrax
Can you convert a b44 with it?
You'll need the conversion kit and the chassis.

Conversion kit has longer top deck and rear drive shaft.

MiCk B. :-)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

I know this thread is pretty old but it came up in my search and I didn't want to start a new thread to discuss the same topic.

To those of you who have used the Avid kit to upgrade your .1 would you make the purchase again? How much difference did you actually notice? I run on a medium sized outdoor track with medium grip and no real big jumps so I am just debating if the upgrade is worth the investment?

Also, what about the shocks? Anyone using the Avid cups and collars to run BB springs? How did you feel about this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Also, what about the shocks? Anyone using the Avid cups and collars to run BB springs? How did you feel about this upgrade?
I still have standard bore shocks on my B44.1. I use standard bore Losi pistons since they are slightly larger in diameter (but still smaller than the shock body bore). There is less leakage around the sides and the oil is more precisely controlled through the piston holes. I run Durango Big Bore springs. I have a Durango DEX210 so I already had those springs which is why I use them over say Associated or Losi or any others. I use the Losi BB lower spring perch and the upper collar is Traxxas and it is slipped over the standard bore upper collar. I also run only bladder shocks now and will never go back to emulsion so I use the Traxxas bladders that are in the same kit as the upper perch. This setup works fantastically smooth. It is by far the smoothest standard bore setup I've ever had and rivals my Durango BB setup. If there is a performance difference, it isn't enough for me to justify changing over to a BB setup. It does what I need it to. Definitely ditch the standard bore AE springs though. They suck.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

hope you can drive good or have an endless supply of arms I did the AVID chassis on my b44.2 and couldnt keep the arms on long enough just saying it could of been me but others that were better drivers then me still snapped them like toothpicks
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While I don't have the Avid chassis, I do run RPM front arms. They won't break and the slop from the stock arms is gone. I wish they made rears.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Regardless of chassis material, composite, carbon fiber, aluminum... a 4wd buggy can reach a very high rate of speed faster than just about anything out there. That allows you to hit immovable objects that much faster to break arms.

Drive it clean, downside jumps, don't hit immovable objects and the arms will last a very long time. Its been months since I have changed an arm.

+1 on the rpm arms, I haven't tested durability on them yet but they feel just as stiff as the stock arms on the track and take out the slop that I hated and did what I could to shim out of the front end.
Now that I know how they handle I will pick up a spare set, I'm done with AE arms and the slop that comes with them.

I don't run the Avid chassis but I have heard the most praise from those that run it outdoor.