R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   b44.2 AVID chassis.... worth it? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/725230-b44-2-avid-chassis-worth.html)

Philipmonday 04-25-2013 11:41 PM

b44.2 AVID chassis.... worth it?

Tell us what you think. Pros. Cons. Anyone that has one, feel free to help us out. The ones on the fence about making the purchase. Is it really worth it, or just a bunch of bling.

fq06 04-26-2013 05:15 AM

I think worth it if you have a .1 to convert to .2.
Or to give more weight down low for your .1 or .2 for outdoor racing.
If you have a .2 and run indoor... meh.

kdub 04-26-2013 09:23 AM

The chassis has been out for a week, so the first people should be running them now. I did all the testing and I think that the car has a more planted feel and is easier to drive because it's more stable and predictable. On the site I posted a couple of my setups:

http://www.avidrc.com/downloads/setu...-AVID_Team.pdf

http://www.avidrc.com/downloads/setu...ssis-Coach.pdf

fq06 04-26-2013 09:40 AM

I'm sure there is a nice improvement outdoor, but did you see that much of an improvement indoor?

Would think outdoor would be where you see the most improvement. Maybe I'll see you at wcrc and check it out.

Madman1 04-27-2013 09:14 AM

What's the weight difference between avid and stock chassis?

chevmaro 04-27-2013 11:53 AM

I havent tried the Avid but, I did try an aluminum chassis on my B4. It made the buggy a lot heavier and that caused it to break ALOT more. I dont know if the Avid weighs more but that is something to consider. It did drive well but not worth the extra parts breakage. I am a decent driver too.

RCmayor 04-27-2013 12:16 PM

Looks like a nice kit, and is reasonably priced. I agree if you have a b44.1 it would be a great way to upgrade. As for the less flex, hmm, not always good. In theory everyone always tries to make a stiff chassis so the shocks can do the work. But in reality of rc cars it is usually better to have flex to make the car have more traction and usually is more forgiving. Aluminum is also prone to denting easily in the milled areas.

As for more steering? Debatable, sometimes more steering just gives the car a twitchy/oversteer feel. Yes more steering, but at cost of forward bite.

tsasak 05-24-2013 01:46 PM

avid upgrade on the b44.1

im thinking of doing the avid chassis upgrade for my 44.1 do i need to buy the + 8 avid kit with the top deck ect. or can i buy the 44.2 top deck and center drive shaft for little less money. let me know thanks ...

Team G Racing 05-24-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tsasak (Post 12186816)
im thinking of doing the avid chassis upgrade for my 44.1 do i need to buy the + 8 avid kit with the top deck ect. or can i buy the 44.2 top deck and center drive shaft for little less money. let me know thanks ...

You can use the stock 44.2 top deck and drive shaft.

turbo2cam 05-24-2013 02:05 PM

arent the top decks the same length between the b44.1 and .2? I thought the length increase was in-between the top plates? (I seem to remember them being the same. it's the "center brace" that got 8mm longer, yes/no?) I think the front/rear plates ARE different when it comes to the holes down the center of the top plates...but the geometry I thought was still the same.

At any rate, after the review by Waflet in the b44.2 thread, I went ahead and ordered the Avid chassis for my son's B44.1. He's 9 and I cringe everytime he cases a jump lolol. I think it will be a great upgrade honestly. We'll see as soon as it gets here!

2canSAM 05-24-2013 02:31 PM

Here is a write-up from one of the guys at my track. He has spent a lot of time with his mod buggy and understand car characteristics to a very fine point. He whips my butt with his mod buggy all the time ;)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/12144353-post4338.html

Team G Racing 05-24-2013 02:35 PM

I have to say when I put the chassis on and went to try it out it was totalllyyy different. I have never added rear weight but used the two weights that came with the avid chassis and it was totally different. The rear end felt a little more squirly and if you didn't stay on top of it you would just slip. After having about 3-4 practices on it I am glad I changed it. Like it a lot better. Great chassis and great engineering from Avid.

kdub 05-25-2013 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Team G Racing (Post 12186913)
I have to say when I put the chassis on and went to try it out it was totalllyyy different. I have never added rear weight but used the two weights that came with the avid chassis and it was totally different. The rear end felt a little more squirly and if you didn't stay on top of it you would just slip. After having about 3-4 practices on it I am glad I changed it. Like it a lot better. Great chassis and great engineering from Avid.

I recommend running the soft AVID white rear spring OR I hear AE black are good in the rear. I have tried AVID purple front which is my standard and then the AE yellow seem to smooth out the front and take some steering away.

I would recommend the AVID 2+2 1.6/1.1 rear pistons also which plant the rear end with a little less low-speed damping in the rear to give you more grip.

kdub 05-25-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by tsasak (Post 12186816)

For a 44.1 conversion, we priced the AVID +8 upgrade to be the least amount of parts. The AVID +8 set lets you keep the same center cap and center slipper assembly from your 44.1. You can also buy your own 44.2 upgrade parts to make it a 44.2 (center slipper shaft, center cap, 44.2 rear driveshaft, 44.2 top deck, battery trays, battery straps) but the price will be more and it's not all in one package.

tsasak 05-25-2013 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kdub (Post 12189675)
For a 44.1 conversion, we priced the AVID +8 upgrade to be the least amount of parts. The AVID +8 set lets you keep the same center cap and center slipper assembly from your 44.1. You can also buy your own 44.2 upgrade parts to make it a 44.2 (center slipper shaft, center cap, 44.2 rear driveshaft, 44.2 top deck, battery trays, battery straps) but the price will be more and it's not all in one package.

thanks today i ordered the kit and chassis cant wait...