Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tekin Pro 4 HD Factory Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default temps?

Ok, don't laugh at me but I have to post this. I'm running an SCTE 2.0 with 16/41 gearing, and of course the RX8 gen 2 and Pro4HD 4300. Couldn't help but run two packs at the local track. Didn't bring my temp gun but I'm just trying to get an idea of if I'm close as far as gearing goes or should I be down to like a 14 tooth? Next time I have to have the temp gun! Otherwise, If I were to overheat the motor a bit, would it damage it in two packs or should I be ok for now? I run at SCVRC in Southern California. Smallish indoor clay track.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by claytrackstar
Ok, don't laugh at me but I have to post this. I'm running an SCTE 2.0 with 16/41 gearing, and of course the RX8 gen 2 and Pro4HD 4300. Couldn't help but run two packs at the local track. Didn't bring my temp gun but I'm just trying to get an idea of if I'm close as far as gearing goes or should I be down to like a 14 tooth? Next time I have to have the temp gun! Otherwise, If I were to overheat the motor a bit, would it damage it in two packs or should I be ok for now? I run at SCVRC in Southern California. Smallish indoor clay track.
What is "smallish" to you? I run 16/41 in mine a lot on a track around 5,000 sq ft.

Since you have the Rx8 Gen2 use the data logger to monitor the temps
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

SCVRC in Santa Clarita, Southern California is where I ran, It's smaller (I believe) than OCRC Raceway. How do I go about connecting the Hotwire if I have the gen 1 hotwire and a Gen 2 ESC? Also, how should I connect the motor cooling fan, to receiver or the ESC?
Thanks again!
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
What is "smallish" to you? I run 16/41 in mine a lot on a track around 5,000 sq ft.

Since you have the Rx8 Gen2 use the data logger to monitor the temps
Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I just ordered a PRO4HD 1850Kv motor to power an EB48 super light on 4S (shorty) which I believe should come in well under 7Lbs. This will be used on a tight indoor mainly in the winter, but they run 10 min mains. Should I be worried about temps with this motor (with a fan & heatsink) or would the T8i 1950kv have been a better option?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You'll be fine once you sort the gearing out for your track/layout.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SCVRC in Santa Clarita, Southern California is where I ran, It's smaller (I believe) than OCRC Raceway. How do I go about connecting the Hotwire if I have the gen 1 hotwire and a Gen 2 ESC? Also, how should I connect the motor cooling fan, to receiver or the ESC?
Thanks again!
Hotwire plugs into the esc tail that normally plugs into the receiver, just unplug it from the receiver and plug hotwire in.

Motor fans will plug into unused ports in your reciever but you shouldn't need a fan with that motor at scvrc or oc, they are air conditioned tracks so they don't get all that warm inside and that motor will run cool enough with a ton of power once you get your gearing sorted... if its not already. Tekno's gearing is a little different and they run 18t with that motor. 2 tooth difference sounds about right between those two trucks.
Correct gearing on the scvrc layout right now should be about 70% rpm by the time you get to that kicker right where your braking point is on the strange straight that wants to chuck your truck into the crowd. You are rarely able to see 100% rpm with proper gearing on scv's straight unless there's a wall berm at the end.

Fans also can break so if you gear it to the temp limit with a fan and the fan breaks your temps will spike. Imo you won't need a fan, I refuse to tune temps with a fan.

Last edited by fq06; 03-30-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

question for you guys.

what exactly is the difference between hotwire 1.0 and hotwire 2.0?

And if you buy a hotwire 2.0 unit, do you need to buy the adapter here:

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/tekin-g...tt3825/p255553

or is it included?

Lastly, that adapter above, does it work with hotwire 1.0?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Hotwire 1 requires a OTG cable ($4) to use the phone app. V2 doesn't require OTG, that's all. Other than phone app, no difference.

That cable is to connect to the auxiliary port in the gen2 esc, gen1 you only have the wire that runs to the receiver to plug into for programming.
It's not necessary for gen2 and it comes with the gen2. Not applicable to gen1 esc, it doesn't have the auxiliary port like gen2 does.

I have never used the cable on any of my gen2 esc's though, small and fiddly and you need to unplug fan if I remember correctly.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

ah okay cool then.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quick advice question. I currently have a Losi Ten-T elec conversion running a Pro4 4600kv on 2s. Is there going to be any disadvantage to swapping the motor for a Pro4 HD 3000kv on 3s?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I am actually running the Pro4 HD 3000kv on 2s, runs great and gets me over the triples no problem. I chose this motor so I could have the option of running 3s without having to swap motor, I can just swap pinions to adjust gearing if need be. I am thinking of trying the 4300kv since it is recommended for 2s to see how it performs vs the 3000kv. At any rate I love the PRO4 HD 3000kv.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah when I was there, there were people in the pits right there with kids! I never opened it up simply for the fact that If I went over the wall it would be a mess. Of course I don't trust my driving skills so that's a big part of it but yeah that little rise at the end of the straight freaks me out a bit. I wonder if anybody has gone over it yet?
Originally Posted by fq06
Hotwire plugs into the esc tail that normally plugs into the receiver, just unplug it from the receiver and plug hotwire in.

Motor fans will plug into unused ports in your reciever but you shouldn't need a fan with that motor at scvrc or oc, they are air conditioned tracks so they don't get all that warm inside and that motor will run cool enough with a ton of power once you get your gearing sorted... if its not already. Tekno's gearing is a little different and they run 18t with that motor. 2 tooth difference sounds about right between those two trucks.
Correct gearing on the scvrc layout right now should be about 70% rpm by the time you get to that kicker right where your braking point is on the strange straight that wants to chuck your truck into the crowd. You are rarely able to see 100% rpm with proper gearing on scv's straight unless there's a wall berm at the end.

Fans also can break so if you gear it to the temp limit with a fan and the fan breaks your temps will spike. Imo you won't need a fan, I refuse to tune temps with a fan.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys - new here. Anyway, I picked up a SCTE 2.0 and got my hands on a rx8 gen2/4300 HD. The sensor cable that came with it was decidedly short, so I did a little googling to make sure it was safe, then just ran the setup sensor less. It cogged a little here and there but nothing too bad. Didn't run it too hard but ran maybe 7 packs through it.

I should be getting a sensor cable that's long enough tomorrow, can I just plug it in and play? Or is something going to need to be adjusted on the ESC?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Champion

You can run it that way but you are missing out on smooth bottom end power. Lots of money and r&d has gone into these things to achieve that and you have spend the big bucks to get it... so run a sensor wire. If the wire is not there or breaks while running the esc switches to sensorless so you can run it till you get a wire.
Motors come with sensor wires but they are not 1 size fits all. There are tons of different lengths so pick one up that is the correct length.
It is a rare occasion when I use the supplied wire, I like a clean wiring job and that means picking up a sensor wire that's just the right length.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah when I was there, there were people in the pits right there with kids! I never opened it up simply for the fact that If I went over the wall it would be a mess. Of course I don't trust my driving skills so that's a big part of it but yeah that little rise at the end of the straight freaks me out a bit. I wonder if anybody has gone over it yet?
I don't know if they have changed it, been a couple weeks since I've been there. There was a sign not to pit there but people walk right past that area to get to the stand and it's a huge liability. Couple cars a day go cartwheeling over the wall, by chance and luck, no one was walking past when they did... at least when I was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.