Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novak Pulse new power house speed controller! >

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerob1983
If you are running sc 2wd buy Novak 10.5 or 8.5 that will get you podium !!!
The reason they don't have a speedo that runs off a laptop is they had 3 years and never could get figured out right. Tekin and Castle you down load a simple program on your laptop and your good. I remember reading the horror storries on the Nova thread of needing to down load like 3 different drivers just to try to get their setup to work. Never did see one work at our hobbyshop in 3 years. The only reason we sell Novak at the shop is because it is a spec speed control for an oval racing series otherwise no one ever comes in looking for Novak.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

The new Pulse is holding up just fine in my tekno SCT.
Time will tell though.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
The reason they don't have a speedo that runs off a laptop is they had 3 years and never could get figured out right. Tekin and Castle you down load a simple program on your laptop and your good. I remember reading the horror storries on the Nova thread of needing to down load like 3 different drivers just to try to get their setup to work. Never did see one work at our hobbyshop in 3 years. The only reason we sell Novak at the shop is because it is a spec speed control for an oval racing series otherwise no one ever comes in looking for Novak.
I hear you but I also remember saying Facebook was dumb , while I was using MySpace.

If I can do the same thing on the speedo and not have to use a laptop. Than why the heck would I want to invest in another thing to take to the track. to drop, to forget, to get stolen?

I think tekin software is cool I used it. My preference if this setup has the power and longevity as everyone is talking about, is not taking the 400 dollar laptop to track. My laptop I specifically bought for rc ...

I have never tried castle everyone also speaks well about that line also.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Then Novak had the whole capacitor debacle, and I knew I made the right decision.
I generally try not to rag too hard on companies in this hobby (unless your name is Trinity and you petition ROAR in an "open letter" in RCCA to corner out your brushless competition after swearing you'd never enter the brushless market, but I digress). Most of these companies are very small operations and forging products on relatively cutting-edge technology... they deserve a little leeway. However, I've been in and out of this hobby over the past 10 years and there seems to always be a Novak problem du jour.

I'm strongly considering this speedo, but I watched more GTB's go up in smoke than I can count, I distinctly recall the cap problems not too long ago, etc.

Good service is all fine and dandy, but reliability is key. The good service is an insurance policy for that rare failure... it's not a substitute for quality.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I've owned Novak, Tekin, Castle, LRP, and have had to send ESCs back to each with problems, but Novak and Tekin had the best customer support hands down.

I've had four Castle, four Tekin, one LRP, but I finally settled on Novak and I'll tell you why. If anyone has ever watched 4x4 SC racing and seeing Novak's little controllers doing the job of a bigger RX8, it's impressive. I was able to shave 60g off the weight of my SCTE going with a Novak. What impressed me more is the temperature of the GTB2 was always under 115F! It never broke a sweat. Then I began to experiment with the Havok Pro and found I simply didnt need the PC anymore to have an aggressive timing profile that I like.

Now maybe I'm lucky, but I've only ever had one Novak controller fail on me, and I've owned seven Novak controllers. I can count on their equipment come race day.

Now if we are talking brushless motors, I am definitely partial to Novak. I've owned motors from most of the manufacturers too, but Novak has always had some of the highest power, if underrated motors in this hobby. I own a brushless motor dyno (The McPappy dyno uses the spreadsheet I helped create), and found the claims of many motor manufacturers to possibly be inflated. I remember Novak claimed around 165W for their 13.5 and hacker comes claiming 300W. Running them both on the dyno I found Novak producing over 200W and the hacker comparable within 5W, but with less RPMs and much lower efficiency. Look, to give Hacker credit, maybe on their dyno it appeared to show 300W. Not all dynos are the same and my dyno and power calculation method differed from both Hacker's and Novak's methods.

Everyone here who has had a Novak fail can't say that Novak didnt stand behind their product and try to make it right.

My bulletproof GTB2 was actually one that had the backwards cap problem, but luckily for me I'm an electronics engineer and noticed it right away when I began to make modifications to my particular setup. That GTB2 is still powering my SCTE to this day.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default Problems

Good info, but i am still sticking with everyone has issues. I have honestly seen more Rx8 issues in the past 4 months a the tracks than anything.

That being said they have about 75% of market share at my local track so of course they are going to have more issues than anyone if more people are using them.

Lets not get it twisted also more than often most issues are end user problem and not manufactures.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lets not get it twisted also more than often most issues are end user problem and not manufactures.
Whoa not so fast there, homeslice. I was trying my best to keep my mouth shut and not jump on a Novak-bashing bandwagon, because above all else, the hobby owes the company a lot with regard to advancing B/L technology about 7 years ago... and a company living on the cutting edge of technology is naturally going to hit a few bumps in the road. That's understandable.

That said, Novak's "blowvak" reputation is well-earned. Let's get one thing straight: you're here to shill. That's all fine and dandy, but don't expect us all to ignore basic logic and reason just because you have a particular agenda. There's a reason why Novak has this reputation rather than LRP, Tekin, Speed Passion, etc. QC has been an issue for years. I had an SS system and two GTBs that fortunately outlived their need, but I saw more of those go up in smoke than not... so much so that my LHS went on a Novak "embargo" because he was losing his ass on returned units when customers didn't want to have to deal with a warranty situation after having the product out of the box for less than a day. So if you want to look at all of this from an unbiased point of view, that right there pretty much tells the story.

I like Novak. I think they were a major contributing factor behind saving electric R/C, and for that, I'm willing to let quite a bit slide. So if you want to do your sponsor a favor, don't come in here with your head buried in the sand whilst pointing fingers at untold numbers of end users who did nothing wrong.

Good info, but i am still sticking with everyone has issues.
No one is denying this, so I'm not sure why you keep saying it. "Everyone has issues" is not a defense for "Novak has earned this reputation over the course of a DECADE, one product line after another."

It sucks that we're sitting here harping on Novak as a company, but it wouldn't be happening if you - an obvious shill - weren't in here denying/dismissing history. Why companies like Novak pay people like you to fuel discussions like this is absolutely beyond me.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Good info, but i am still sticking with everyone has issues. I have honestly seen more Rx8 issues in the past 4 months a the tracks than anything.

That being said they have about 75% of market share at my local track so of course they are going to have more issues than anyone if more people are using them.

One thing I always stick it I would never own a speedo that cannot be updated on a computer. Everytime Novak makes an improvement they make another speedo, companies that use the computer just download a free update and spend no money. For a racer who likes having the up to date stuff it gets pretty costly vs getting a free update every few months.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default Not paid just customer

[QUOTE=wyd;11846119]One thing I always stick it I would never own a speedo that cannot be updated on a computer. Everytime Novak makes an improvement they make another speedo, companies that use the computer just download a free update and spend no money. For a racer who likes having the up to date stuff it gets pretty costly vs getting a free update every few months.

I was under the assumption that technology changes yearly? Meaning to stay ahead of curve you have to always be buying and selling?

Also reference to the other post, I am not affiliated with Novak just a customer. I honestly just excited to try something different. I spoke to one of there guys at track and was sold.

What setup do you use in you 4.2?

I had PC based system and think its a waste... Tekin setup was cool but still think its not needed? They will make new speed controllers every year or two and I would want the latest greatest.

But once again my main reason for switch is performance. That is what I was promised so we will see Sunday.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have had my RS Pro since 2009.

In 2010 (I think), at the IIC in Vegas there was a new $600 speed control that had the first ever timing ramp. Before the end of the weekend Tekin had a free software update that could do the same thing as the $600 esc.

The Tekin was built with such high quality components that almost 4 years later, the esc can still do anything any of the newest esc can, all via free software updates.

If you feel like the computer interface is a waste, it may be because a lot of adjustments can seem overwhelming for a newer racer. For some, it is way too much. For those of us that have been racing for 20+ years, and can go an entire race day without crashing, every little advantage we can squeeze out of our stuff is needed.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=ifuonlyknew;11846858]I have had my RS Pro since 2009.

In 2010 (I think), at the IIC in Vegas there was a new $600 speed control that had the first ever timing ramp. Before the end of the weekend Tekin had a free software update that could do the same thing as the $600 esc.

The Tekin was built with such high quality components that almost 4 years later, the esc can still do anything any of the newest esc can, all via free software updates.

If you feel like the computer interface is a waste, it may be because a lot of adjustments can seem overwhelming for a newer racer. For some, it is way too much. For those of us that have been racing for 20+ years, and can go an entire race day without crashing, every little advantage we can squeeze out of our stuff is needed.[/

I must be add than..lol I never keep anything that long. I get bored ! Updates or not I guess I am just weird....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I must be add than..lol I never keep anything that long. I get bored ! Updates or not I guess I am just weird....
I get my variety from all the different R/C vehicles I have. In addition to my electric and nitro race cars, I have motorcycles, boats, helicopters, and crawlers. Oh and a bunch of vintage cars too.

When I put a car on the track it has a Tekin in it. I know it will work and not give up anything to any other esc.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I have a Novak Pulse, and must say that it's the best feeling 2-cell ESC I've used. That being said, my MMP 1-cell is the best feeling HV ESC I've used (it's also the only one I've used that can handle >3s). The Castle software is simple and effective.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
I have a Novak Pulse, and must say that it's the best feeling 2-cell ESC I've used.
Which other ones have you used? I'm currently trying to decide between the Pulse, the Flow, and the Orion R10 Pro.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B
Which other ones have you used? I'm currently trying to decide between the Pulse, the Flow, and the Orion R10 Pro.
The only other brand I've owned is HobbyWing. Others I've used but not owned are Tekin and LRP. I've heard good things about all of those. IMO it's just a matter of preference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.